Training program

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 21:05 Quote
No. I was thinking there might be some exercises like push up. Something you use your own weight. I just don't what kind of work out like that to do.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 2:09 Quote
mtnbiker23 wrote:
No. I was thinking there might be some exercises like push up. Something you use your own weight. I just don't what kind of work out like that to do.

Here ya go

http://www.complete-strength-training.com/plyometric-workout.html

add some cardio into that and you are good to go.

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 at 14:44 Quote
I bought a training program from mtbstrengthcoach, I've been really impressed with it, check out www.bikejames.com, also search for mtbstrengthcoach on itunes for a free training podcast.

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
Hi guys... what do you think about this general program layout? (I'm going to race some 4x in forthcomming season)

* Monday - core training in a gym

* Wednesday - legs training in a gym (sore muscles rather up to two days...)

* Friday - not very intensive road rides (untill the weather improves...) for about 1-1,5 hour, transforming to harder intervals during the time. Muay Thai (a kind of Kickboxing) training in the evening.

* Sunday - few sprints (full power through 30 meters) and a kind of plyometrics training after this (I didn't start it yet, so don't know how tired I will be the next day).

Of course I don't forget about other muscles (that's not the point in this topic Wink ), have some strenght base (hopefully I'll squat my doubleweight soon). As far as general fitness is concerned - I did some sports during the winter, but nothing "serious"...

The think I'm most concerned about is the regeneration of my nervous system - is it not too much and is there any place to cram one more 1hr aerobic intensity ride?

I don't have much time as there's matura exam coming, thinking about training is such a mindf*ck - I hope there is someone to give any advice... why the hell one week has only 7 days!
Cheers

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
brooce wrote:
... why the hell one week has only 7 days!
Cheers

Why are you limiting your training cycle to one week??? A week only has 7 days, but your training cycle can have many, many more.

Try a ten day cycle.

And as for the routine, if you do the 'good' leg exercises on a Wednesday (i.e. free-weight squat variations), you will also be hitting the core HARD, meaning you could be doing something else on Mondays.

Posted: Jan 18, 2011 at 2:07 Quote
raak - thanks for an answer Smile

bigquotesTry a ten day cycle.
It would be hard for me to do a 10 day cycle as I have an access to a school gym in certain days only. Besides, my timetable would make it difficult to train in different days of week. I'll try 14-day cycle next year, I don't want to change it now Wink

bigquotesAnd as for the routine, if you do the 'good' leg exercises on a Wednesday (i.e. free-weight squat variations), you will also be hitting the core HARD, meaning you could be doing something else on Mondays.
I know, but when I ride my bike more, I'll diminish the load so that it shouldn't be a trouble... (now I have two days of rest between core and legs training (going hard) and it seems sufficient for me)

A new doubt has came to my mind - can I start doing sprints (not much, c.a. 5 x 30 meters and power exercises afterward) just after the winter break, during the stage of riding 'base miles'? Or maybe it would be better to devote one month only for riding with quite steady heart ratio (and gym once a week), and than transform one of this trainings to sprints and plyometrics?

Posted: Jan 21, 2011 at 14:35 Quote
brooce wrote:
Hi guys... what do you think about this general program layout? (I'm going to race some 4x in forthcomming season)

* Friday - not very intensive road rides (untill the weather improves...) for about 1-1,5 hour, transforming to harder intervals during the time. Muay Thai (a kind of Kickboxing) training in the evening.

* Sunday - few sprints (full power through 30 meters) and a kind of plyometrics training after this (I didn't start it yet, so don't know how tired I will be the next day).

Of course I don't forget about other muscles (that's not the point in this topic Wink ), have some strenght base (hopefully I'll squat my doubleweight soon). As far as general fitness is concerned - I did some sports during the winter, but nothing "serious"...

The think I'm most concerned about is the regeneration of my nervous system - is it not too much and is there any place to cram one more 1hr aerobic intensity ride?

I don't have much time as there's matura exam coming, thinking about training is such a mindf*ck - I hope there is someone to give any advice... why the hell one week has only 7 days!
Cheers

finally somewon with common sense that actually has recovery tiime in there programs Wink

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 9:54 Quote
+ 3 for bikejames.com

Don't just go on there and buy a program. Spend time on the site watching videos and listening to the podcasts. James has done a terrific job of breaking mtn biking conditioning down to movement/stability/strength requirements necessary to excel in the sport. He is going to shatter a number of non-truths and myths you've read in response to the initial post on this thread. Analyze his material and compare it to where you have an easy time and hard time on your bike and it will really open your mind to understanding your own riding.

You can't just get on a bike and ride and expect to get better. For someone starting out that is just going to create a lot of bad habits and plateau in a few seasons that you can't advance through. You'll get way more improvement in your technical skills with what you do off the bike than on it. Lacking the strength and mobility to hold a proper attack position is going to negatively everything you try to do on a bike, on flat ground let alone technical downhills or technical climbing.

As James says (paraphrasing here): Road riding is about training the motor -- heart and lungs, whereas mtn biking is about training the machine (the body on the bike). His programs will get your cardio right where it needs to be without pounding along on a treadmill or spinning mindlessly on an indoor trainer/spin bike.

As a Kinesiologist and strength and conditioning coach I can't emphasize how well the theory behind James' training methodology stacks up to real world riding.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 12:00 Quote
VScM wrote:
+ 3 for bikejames.com

Don't just go on there and buy a program. Spend time on the site watching videos and listening to the podcasts. James has done a terrific job of breaking mtn biking conditioning down to movement/stability/strength requirements necessary to excel in the sport. He is going to shatter a number of non-truths and myths you've read in response to the initial post on this thread. Analyze his material and compare it to where you have an easy time and hard time on your bike and it will really open your mind to understanding your own riding.

You can't just get on a bike and ride and expect to get better. For someone starting out that is just going to create a lot of bad habits and plateau in a few seasons that you can't advance through. You'll get way more improvement in your technical skills with what you do off the bike than on it. Lacking the strength and mobility to hold a proper attack position is going to negatively everything you try to do on a bike, on flat ground let alone technical downhills or technical climbing.

As James says (paraphrasing here): Road riding is about training the motor -- heart and lungs, whereas mtn biking is about training the machine (the body on the bike). His programs will get your cardio right where it needs to be without pounding along on a treadmill or spinning mindlessly on an indoor trainer/spin bike.

As a Kinesiologist and strength and conditioning coach I can't emphasize how well the theory behind James' training methodology stacks up to real world riding.

Do you know anything about this man's credentials (education/experience)?

It strikes me as questionable for him to sell his training routines (which aren't cheap) without being able to physically examine the person.

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 at 23:57 Quote
VScM wrote:

Analyze his material and compare it to where you have an easy time and hard time on your bike and it will really open your mind to understanding your own riding.

What does this mean???!!! We are supposed to watch videos of deadlifts and kettlebell swings - and then compare them to when we have a hard time on the bike? I don't see any exercises in which you hold onto a bar, lean back, squat, constantly adjusting your weight from here to there, side to side, backwards and forwards, using your forearms and hands to brake, causing your legs to alternate in pushing and making small circular motions with your feet - I DONT SEE THAT EXERCISE ON HIS WEBSITE - you know why - because it doesnt exist and it is in fact very difficult to REALLY train for riding, while off the bike/trail. If you deadlift regularly, guess what you'll most improve in: DEADLIFTING! The same with all the other resistance exercies. Now the exercises will make you overall stronger, more powerful and fitter, which is advantageous - but this magic link James promotes between his cosen exercises and riding is overstated and largely unfounded. In my experience, for aggressive riding there is only one truely riding specific form of training: riding Motocross. Although you do not pedal, you're doing basically the exact same physical movements, only with something far heavier, and far more powerful. The forces involved are such that once you are strong on an MX bike, you will be very strong on a MTBike

No evidence. Just assertions. Saying 'it's true' doesn't make it so. In my experience, people who truely love riding and put many hours into it actually seem to get BETTER at the activity.

HOW?

The reason why this wholesetup sounds fishy to me is that there are never real answers or science to back up the claims - JUST CLAIMS. Now the exercises themselves are great, I use them myself, and believe in this type of training. But SELLING it as the cure all ills remedy for your riding is questionable to me. The link this man puts between riding and the exercises is nothing ground breaking (an exercise which will promote a strong core, good hip mobility and leg power will help me in my riding? no shit).

Please, James, whoever wrote this last post, anybody, just answer my questions. Prove me wrong. I am willing to be proved wrong.

Posted: Feb 8, 2011 at 7:00 Quote
[Quote="raak"]
VScM wrote:

Please, James, whoever wrote this last post, anybody, just answer my questions. Prove me wrong. I am willing to be proved wrong.

Why don't you just ask him - shot him an e-mail and check out his site.

I know he has been working with Gwin (former Yeti rider now with Trek).

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 at 12:18 Quote
i'm with gnarkore, sprinting is key, i pretty much push to sprint the entire track, that way when i think i'm taking it easy and cruising i'm still hauling ass, and why wouldn't you want to sprint the entire course, i can't wait to get back out to mt.7

and to mtnbiker23, if you want to do bodyweight workouts, yes pushups are great, try do do variations on them like hands at your hips military style, or triceps where you make a diamond with your thumb and fingers in front of your face, i like to do hercules pushups, where you do a handstand against a wall or not and lower yourself till your elbows are 90 degrees then up you go, make sure you breath and don't pass out form red face with those, also sit ups like a mofo, using a medicine ball works wonders but if not that you could use your helmet, i like jogging as well, hills are a great way to train stamina, cuz you can relax down then push so hard to the top, builds power and recovery very fast

for anyone in the lethbridge area check out my thread
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=113193&pagenum=1#commentid3331851

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 22:25 Quote
stryke wrote:
endurance is not a huge deal in downhill.. maybe if youre racing mega/maxiavalanche style races long sprint sessions should be a good thing to start working on but not for general downhill riding

my sprint training is 2 days a week for 20 minutes on a slight incline, 15 seconds on 30 seconds off.

the only time you need explosive muscles is coming out of corners and sprinting to the finish line (which is like 15-20 seconds, and usually pretty fast so you should be training in a light gear and learning how to pedal well while spinning) so 1 minute sprint training sessions are silly and too long

hey man. you're mad wrong. as a personal trainer I know. I've used both techniques. and HIIT(high intensity interval training) is the best way to train for cardio/endurance. Why train to the bare minimum? Train to the max and out-class everyone. You want to stay at the same speed the entire 30 second sprint. And with your technique you'll get gassed. 15 seconds is waaaaaaay too short.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 22:31 Quote
brooce wrote:

Cheers

Hey man. Step it up a bit, if you're serious about getting into phenomenal riding condition you need to be training 6 days a week until you get there. and than drop down to what you described as a maintenance thing.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 22:36 Quote
raak wrote:
VScM wrote:

Analyze his material and compare it to where you have an easy time and hard time on your bike and it will really open your mind to understanding your own riding.

What does this mean???!!! We are supposed to watch videos of deadlifts and kettlebell swings - and then compare them to when we have a hard time on the bike? I don't see any exercises in which you hold onto a bar, lean back, squat, constantly adjusting your weight from here to there, side to side, backwards and forwards, using your forearms and hands to brake, causing your legs to alternate in pushing and making small circular motions with your feet - I DONT SEE THAT EXERCISE ON HIS WEBSITE - you know why - because it doesnt exist and it is in fact very difficult to REALLY train for riding, while off the bike/trail. If you deadlift regularly, guess what you'll most improve in: DEADLIFTING! The same with all the other resistance exercies. Now the exercises will make you overall stronger, more powerful and fitter, which is advantageous - but this magic link James promotes between his cosen exercises and riding is overstated and largely unfounded. In my experience, for aggressive riding there is only one truely riding specific form of training: riding Motocross. Although you do not pedal, you're doing basically the exact same physical movements, only with something far heavier, and far more powerful. The forces involved are such that once you are strong on an MX bike, you will be very strong on a MTBike

No evidence. Just assertions. Saying 'it's true' doesn't make it so. In my experience, people who truely love riding and put many hours into it actually seem to get BETTER at the activity.

HOW?

The reason why this wholesetup sounds fishy to me is that there are never real answers or science to back up the claims - JUST CLAIMS. Now the exercises themselves are great, I use them myself, and believe in this type of training. But SELLING it as the cure all ills remedy for your riding is questionable to me. The link this man puts between riding and the exercises is nothing ground breaking (an exercise which will promote a strong core, good hip mobility and leg power will help me in my riding? no shit).

You need to do your research. Doing deadlifts doesn't just make you better at deadlifting. that is like saying training your biceps with a barbell won't help you when you have to lift a box. Use your head.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022084
Mobile Version of Website