2011 fox 36 talas/van vs lyrik solo air

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2011 fox 36 talas/van vs lyrik solo air
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 2:10 Quote
I just picked up a new enduro(2010) and have only ridden it a few times but since I decided on buying it I have been thinking about swapping out the fork just for adjustment purposes. For climbing I really enjoy being able to lock out my fork and for possible more road oriented rides/climbs. I also like being able to drop the fork to 120mm for really steep climbs, short or long, and I feel like the talas would really be the best bet. I have not been able to ride the new 2011 kashima coating and have only heard about how nice it is, I have also been liking the lyrik so far and would not like to take away from the down hill performance of the bike. Has anyone set up a new enduro with the 2011 fox or been able to ride that fork at all? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 4:07 Quote
the 2011 models will only have been ridden by Fox sponsored riders and their in house test riders and engineers

which Enduro do you have?

be aware the Lyric on the Comp does not have any compression damping, just a rebound cartridge

be aware the Lyric on the Expert has IS (integrated speedstack) instead of the Mission Control damper on the "aftermarket" Lyric fork

a HUGE upgrade for the Lyrics on both the Comp and Expert is the Mission Control damper, which is not actually very expensive, your local Rockshox dealer can order this from SRAM and fit it to your fork Wink

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 5:07 Quote
if you're not the heaviest of people and don't ride overly aggressive downhill i'd lookinto some of the blackbox team revelations uturn. they'll keep your enduro nice and light and ride very well.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 10:35 Quote
Thanks for the feedback, I have the comp model and was looking into the mission control damper as another possible solution, does this also make it so you can adjust the compression? And i thought that you can buy the 2011 forks already, I have seen them on the wall at my lbs.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 13:03 Quote
the Mission Control damper adds a huge amount of control to your Lyric fork:

it allows seperate adjustment of:

low speed compression (small bumps, pedal bounce, brake dive)

high speed compression (square edge bumps or sudden drops - fast damper shaft velocity)

and floodgate threshold (a blow-off platform, if you like..)

as well as a lock-out mode for climbing

at the moment, there is nothing controlling the compression stroke of your Lyric, which means the fork blows through its travel / bounces as you pedal / brake and then relies on the rebound damper to control the return stroke

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 18:49 Quote
that sounds amazing, would you recommend this mod on my fork over a fox 36 if price is not an issue? because as of now i guess I would like to also change forks because the fork doesnt handle small bumps well but i guess that just is because I havent gotten it dialed in yet or because I dont have the mission control damper.

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 1:44 Quote
I would not bother buying a Fox 36 as you already have the makings of a great fork - you just need the damper upgrade

you will find you can lower your air spring rate a little with the Mission Control damper, and use the low / high speed compression settings to get the feeling more controlled across the entire low / mid / high range

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 at 10:08 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
I would not bother buying a Fox 36 as you already have the makings of a great fork - you just need the damper upgrade

you will find you can lower your air spring rate a little with the Mission Control damper, and use the low / high speed compression settings to get the feeling more controlled across the entire low / mid / high range
i've ridden the 2011 fox and it blew my mind, it feels so much better than the lyrik or revelation
best fork ever
buy it, u wont be disaapointed

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 at 19:55 Quote
Im getting a 2010 Enduro comp also, and the fork was the only real dissapointment for me spec wise. And now that I know I can upgrade the damper without buying a new fork for it makes me pretty happy.
Glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 at 20:18 Quote
I am still trying to decide if I should buy the damper upgrade or just sell my fork and put the damper upgrade money and the fork money towards a fox fork which has all the adjust ability, so far I just keep ridding the lyrik and do my best to fall asleep at night without thinking to much about all the different things I can do to upgrade my bike haha, the joys of the biking world!

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 11:55 Quote
hey guys,
I'm riing the 2011 Fox 36 Talas RC2 FIT for a month now, there's nothing better!! (marzocchi 66 2007, marzocchi All mountain SL1 ATA (both customized by marzocchi services), fox 36 talas 2009, fox 36 2010, rock shox lyrik 2 step 2010 tuned 170 and than the 2011 36).
That's an incredible fork, you can do everything with this, from downhill to "crosscountry".

trust me, buy the fox 36 180 2011 Talas rc2 FIT or stop riding mountain bike

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 4:17 Quote
the 180 would be to big if anything would go with the 160, already have a hard enough time keeping the front wheel on the ground

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 9:20 Quote
lakota5 wrote:
the 180 would be to big if anything would go with the 160, already have a hard enough time keeping the front wheel on the ground
just buy the fox, if u upgrade ur lyrik and thn demo a fix u will regret it for the rest of my life

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 11:06 Quote
the rest of my life or until i just buy the fox... haha everyone saying go with the fox is being a little intense and over the top imo, I was really set on getting one but its almost making me not want to now haha im indecisive

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 13:15 Quote
lakota5 wrote:
the rest of my life or until i just buy the fox... haha everyone saying go with the fox is being a little intense and over the top imo, I was really set on getting one but its almost making me not want to now haha im indecisive
dont be
the foxes are just great forks, great durability, great service, great performance

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014807
Mobile Version of Website