3 up-front 1 in the rear

PB Forum :: 29ers
3 up-front 1 in the rear
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 8:31 Quote
I recently acquired a SS 29'r for commuter purposes. I was hoping to add a hi-lo gear option to the front (2 or 3 gears up-front) a front derailleur of course and keep the rear on gear/speed. I've heard you can just throw-on a rear derailleur and use it as a dummy tensioner, but it's bulky and takes from the sleekness. Is there a chain tensioner out there that would mimic or work for these purposes? Any other suggestions? I'm trying to avoid buying a new rear wheel, and I feel the simple 2-3 gears would be sweet.

PS. I have a bolt on rear derailleur hanger

Thanks for yall's time

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 9:19 Quote
haha mate. i thought the title ment somthing else then Wink

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 22:43 Quote
I think your best bet is the Shimano Alfine tensioner. It's cheap and should give you a big enough range for a front derailleur.

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 at 16:57 Quote
white industries make the DOS ENO freewheel and double/double crank, you can't shift when riding but it is very sleek

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 18:01 Quote
i had the same idea before and still wish i have it, hope it works for you

also maybe a 3 speed hub could be a better option?

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 18:28 Quote
^^^ It would would work much better, and look ALLOT cleaner.

My opinion: Unless the Alfine works out, most chain tensioners dont have enough power or travel to take up the slack on the drivetrain. If you have to use two derailers to make it work, what's the point? All the pros of SS are gone, (Less maintenence, no fiddling, no clanking, clean look.) and you might as well just run gears.

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
ye man good point, mite aswell have a 5peed on the back

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 20:00 Quote
Hey...

I did this to my Norco Nitro niner 29er hardtail. Left the crank and front derailleur on and put a 15t cog in back for street riding and I got an 18t and a spare chain for trail riding.
I can vouch for the Shimano Alfine chain tensioner. It works great once you have your optimum chain length. I'm running a 22/32/44 with good success. I put on almost 100 miles a week just riding to work on it.
I also put on a rigid carbon fork so my bike is quite light for a 29er (about 20-21 lbs) and it's pretty versatile with the 3 chain ring options.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007444
Mobile Version of Website