Advice on saddles? or riding position?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Advice on saddles? or riding position?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 1:32 Quote
Hey guys been riding a while now and i'm starting to do more prolonged climbs as i get fitter and better.

Problem is now the perineum area is very sore! I've got the saddle level and in the right fore-aft position.

Thing is when i climb and slide forwards there's alot of pressure in this area. If i move back i don't get the right position for efficient climbing from the legs.

Can someone please recommend the most comfortable saddle for all day riding? I like all mountain riding so i need to be able to climb and move back behind the saddle on descents.

Thanks guys

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 2:24 Quote
tom34 wrote:
Can someone please recommend the most comfortable saddle for all day riding? I like all mountain riding so i need to be able to climb and move back behind the saddle on descents.

Thanks guys
Get a telescopic seatpost. You cant have both, perfect max height for climbing and be able to get behind it on descents...

Dont get the most "comfortable" saddle, get one that suits you... maybe the comfortable one will feel great after 10 minutes, but you will die on it after a few hours if it doesnt suits you. And your butt just has to get used to longer rides, no pain no gain :>

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 12:27 Quote
Try pointing the nose of the saddle down a bit.

And R4ND0M, please get your facts right, the majority of bikes can have perfect height for climbing and descending, my dads can and so can mine and all my other mates.

The only bikes I have used that cannot, not by much though, are full suspension Specialized and any others with similar designs (shock through the frame, interrupting the seat tube)

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 7:20 Quote
I would suggest the Wtb Pure V saddle. Its 145mm wide and a little longer than most with a dropped nose. As well Wtb has a demo saddle program that many shops participate in, so your local shop may have one you can try before you buy.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 9:07 Quote
padded shorts help, also change up your riding position now and then by standing up and pedalling.

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 at 17:42 Quote
The height can be a bit of a pain sometime, so a telescopic seatpost will fix that issue quite well, however in terms of saddles it seems to be something very personal

as one suggested try a few WTB saddles. Most shops have a deal and you can try a few saddles out.

Just this weekend I tested some really nice and expensive bikes which happened to have a telescopic seatpost. I am quite amazed how much of a difference they make, however the seats Fizik are just not for my rear. Four days later and my rear still hurts.

Here is an add to a saddle which I suggest giving a try:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/651644/
there is a link to reviews there as well.

At the moment I have four of these saddles and the reason why I'm selling one.

Good luck.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 18:58 Quote
a small but firm saddle is good but a little bit of cushion helps alot. i would go with a saddle with a very dropped nose and a gel insert right on the nose...ex. kore big nose t-rail, compatable with the kore race 2014 seatpost. try raising ur saddle a couple more inches too if ya can

Posted: Jun 16, 2010 at 17:08 Quote
Make sure you buy the saddle that fits you properly. Everyone has different hip bone widths. Your bike shop can fit you up for the proper one and once you find it you will find that riding comfort is improved substantially. They have a gel pad which allows the measurement of your hip bones. You want your weight supported by the hip bones and not the perineum. You definitely do not want pressure in that area. This can cause issues with your nerves and what not contained down there and potential irreversible damage. I say go have a chat with your bike shop and find someone who knows how to fit you properly. I also find that the shorts help to keep you planted in the right spot on the seat. Shorts like basketball shorts cause you to move too much as the material slides upon itself and causes you to move from the right position. I found my best pedaling efficiency results when I wear the padded spandex cycling shorts. I use both Bontrager and Sugoi. I like the bontrager ones the best. They help your a$$ stick to the seat and keep you in the proper position.

Posted: Jun 17, 2010 at 14:29 Quote
tom34 wrote:
Hey guys been riding a while now and i'm starting to do more prolonged climbs as i get fitter and better.

Problem is now the perineum area is very sore! I've got the saddle level and in the right fore-aft position.

Thing is when i climb and slide forwards there's alot of pressure in this area. If i move back i don't get the right position for efficient climbing from the legs.

Thanks guys
Hang on, you say your saddle is "in the right fore-aft position" but "when I climb and slide forwards there's a lot of pressure in this area".
Why not try moving your saddle forward a bit, so you don't have to get on the nose as much while climbing?

Posted: Jun 17, 2010 at 14:32 Quote
peter413 wrote:
Try pointing the nose of the saddle down a bit.

And R4ND0M, please get your facts right, the majority of bikes can have perfect height for climbing and descending, my dads can and so can mine and all my other mates.

The only bikes I have used that cannot, not by much though, are full suspension Specialized and any others with similar designs (shock through the frame, interrupting the seat tube)

ahh, but do you have to stop to move your seat, i think he was suggesting a good 'on the fly' suggestion..

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 at 16:00 Quote
Buy Pearl Izumi Pro or Sugoi RS shorts, remember they're Euro roadie sizing so a normal sized man is probably XL.

As for saddles, try the Spesh Phenom Ti Gel.

Possibly you just have HUGE junk. A big choda is nothing to be self conscious about, usually it's needed to support your enormous unit. Think of it as the root structure for the tree.

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 at 16:02 Quote
SJdude wrote:

Possibly you just have HUGE junk. A big choda is nothing to be self conscious about, usually it's needed to support your enormous unit. Think of it as the root structure for the tree.

lol nice way of putting it Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011208
Mobile Version of Website