Need help with choosing a new XC trail-AM bike...(5-6")

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need help with choosing a new XC trail-AM bike...(5-6")
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 9:19 Quote
Hi,
I wanna swich my riding type from FR/DH to XC trail and medium AM.
i've some questions:
1) Which suspension type is the best for XC trail-AM (FSR,VPP,singe pivot)???
2) What are the advantages and the disadvantages of the FSR, VPP and singe pivot suspension?
3) what are the best bikes for this type of riding between 3000$-4000$? which bike would you buy in my price range for XC trail-AM?
4) what do you think about the Intense Tracer VP, Trek Remedy 8 and the Specialized EnduroSL expert?
5) should I buy 5" bike or 6" bike for XC trail-AM?

Thank you very much,
Daniel.Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
A lot of this just takes research on your part.
Check out the MTBR AM forum, there are lots of similar discussions which should give you good info.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 14:34 Quote
You can't go wrong with most of the bikes these days friend, all of the designs are well tested, just pick a colour!

Seriously, Intense or Trek Rem are both mint machines for your riding pleasure.

How big are your rocks and drops?

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 0:10 Quote
I will jump drops of max 1.5-2 meters (5-6.5 feet).
right now im thinking about the trek remedy 8 and the specialized enduro SL expert...

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 7:43 Quote
I would suggest the abra cadabra from kona. I love mine, and you climb like a 4" bike, descend like a six and the geometry changes as well, makes it an unreal bike to ride.

As for the differences the longer the suspension arms, the less bearing issues you will have. Dont get to worked up on the differences of the suspension on paper, ride the bikes and buy the one you like the best. Paper and dirt are very different.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 8:11 Quote
I would get the SC blur over the Intense but just depends on the price break you get.

However for the money I think the Trek is a better deal. You can get a pretty sick setup on the Trek for less than either the SC or Intense.

As always at least ride it around the lot first and if you can demo a bike on a trail you know really well.

Dropping that much cash is hard but the bikes you are looking at are pretty good and once you start learning how to ride it there won't be much difference between any of them.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 10:03 Quote
someone knows when specialized and trek will start selling 2011 bikes???

thanks.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 10:27 Quote
Dk89 wrote:

thanks.
probably in 2011Big Grin

You really can't go wrong with any of the new bikes these days, every company has great bikes. I am a strong supporter of anything Giant.

Other than the bike you should keep in mind what bike shop to buy from, and who will stand up and help if and when you need it.

It does no good to buy a bike and then not be able to get warranty, parts etc

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 16:28 Quote
d-man wrote:
Dk89 wrote:

thanks.
probably in 2011Big Grin
Late Summer/Early Fall is more like it.

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
I'm riding a Giant Reign 1 and absolutely love it. Have friends on the Trance and also friends on the Reign X and both are also pretty sick bikes, but I feel like the Reign is a little more versatile. The Tracer VP would probably be a perfect bike for you and Intense frames are a thing of beauty if you can pony up the dough. When it comes down to it they are pretty similar bikes. That being said, I'd ride an Intense over a Specialized, Trek, or Giant any day simply because they are hand made in the states and just all around awesome frames.

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
if you want a bike that is a genuine "all rounder" that will take some abuse, and if you like to get your wheels off the ground on a regular basis - then definitely look at "All-Mountain / Enduro" class of bikes

this includes Specialized Enduro SL, Santa Cruz Nomad, Devinci Hectik, Ellsworth Moment, Trek Remedy, Banshee Rune, etc.

basically: 6 x 6 bikes with travel adjustable 35-36mm diameter forks (RS Lyric, Fox 36, etc.)

the trick to create an All-Mtn bike that is trail friendly is a good quality, light weight set of wheels and tires, and quality finishing kit (Thomson, Race Face, Easton, etc.) so you don't up with a heavy tank - a good All-Mtn should be around 30lb with air fork and air shock

a problem with "trail" bikes (5x5) is that they can feel more flimsy (lighter construction) and sketchy (steeper geometry) when pushed faster / harder, and are not designed to get regular air or ride fast DH / FR trails; if you use a trail bike for FR and DH you may end up cracking the frame quicker, or bending the forks or other parts

often, a good All-Mtn bike with a change to dual-ply tires, a chain device and perhaps a shorter stem, will be happy tackling bike parks like Whistler, and also your local DH / FR trails!

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 1:20 Quote
thank you very much guys.

I'll try to get the enduro and the remedy for a test ride..
Im 174 cm (5.7 feet), I need medium frame size right?

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 9:36 Quote
I would look at medium or small.
Try and get on bolth so that you can compaire.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010927
Mobile Version of Website