Float or talas fork on a 2010 trek fuel ex8 wsd?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Float or talas fork on a 2010 trek fuel ex8 wsd?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
My girlfriend just bought a new 2010 Trek Fuel EX8 WSD that comes stock with a Fox F-Series RL. She had a tough time this past weekend at some trails in the mountains. She also saw a Transition Syrin with a Talas fork on it and was wondering if that was possible on her bike.

The geometry seems fairly similar between the 2 frames, although not exact.

She is thinking she wants to get a shorter stem and a longer fork to sit her a little further back on her bike. She hopes this will help her a little on decents in the Mountains.

Would there be any issues with putting a Float or Talas on the Trek Fuel EX 8 frame?

Is there any reason NOT to put a Float fork on the Trek frame?

Its a shame this bike is only a month old and suddenly we see a Syren...would have preferred to get that...

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 7:04 Quote
What is the frame warrantied to. That will basically answer your question.

And you have to be careful with geometry, different forks have different axel to crown (A2C) heights and also not every frame is measured with the same travel fork so you can't really tell if two bikes have simuilar geometry unless the A2C of the two forks on the two bikes are the same

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 7:39 Quote
It would depend on which version of the talas you are talking about. The Talas 32 comes in a few variations but its built off the same platform as a 32. IN 2010 they had 3 travel positions, in 2011 they have only two positions.

The Talas 36 is a very different fork, built for freeride, is heavier, requires a 20mm wheel, and is much longer.

All the Talas part means in the name is travel adjustable. Make sure she would use the different positions before you go and buy one. My wife had a talas fork once, and never used any of the positions. No point in weight and cost if the feature is not being used.

I would suggest talking to you local bike shop and seeing what they think.

As for the shorter stem, that never seems to be a bad idea on a woman's bike.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 19:46 Quote
the thing is she saw the syren and wanted one right away...and we just bought this one!

We cut an inch and a half off the seat post already and its still a little too high for descents.

She wants something that will sit her back a little, so were think a BIGGER or longer fork would do that.

Of course, Trek is going to say that voids the warrenty.

I think were going to start with a new stem and drop the seat...then maybe explore other options.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 20:02 Quote
If its like the 08' it has a 130mm fork up front. I switched it out and run a Lyrik 2-Step (POS). I run it in the 115mm setting, though do go up to 160mm for some decents. It does push the front of the bike up quite a bit and I'm also running a short stem and really low seat. As mentioned you may need a new hub depending on which route you take (I needed a new 20mm).

The one thing to remember though is that the EX8 by anymeans isn't in the same gravity fed league as the Syren. As much as it sucks, maybe give in try and sell the EX8 to buy the Syren, or what about getting the Syren frame only and using the parts that you can from the EX.

Pic of mine with the fork in the lower position.

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 at 9:25 Quote
Try the shorter stem, and maybe higher rise bars, to get her back a bit.

Also, how is the suspension set up?

If the fork spring is too soft, and/or the rebound is too slow, it could be riding too low on downhills.

If the rear shock is too firm and/or rebounding too fast, that can kick the back end up in the air too much.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012190
Mobile Version of Website