Nissan UCI MTB World Cup 2010 Presented By Shimano-Leogang

PB Forum :: Downhill
Nissan UCI MTB World Cup 2010 Presented By Shimano-Leogang
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 14:58 Quote
Or a certain Mr Hill.

Think about it a little though. The only guy in last year's top 5 under 6'1" was Hill.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:00 Quote
i heard hill was half man half machine Confused

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
The tracks were quite pedally last year though, and I have to agree that build seems to affect pedalling quite a lot.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:03 Quote
Really? Pedally?

Piermaritzburg
La Bresse
Vallnord
Fort William
Maribor
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming

If build affects pedaling so much, that must explain why Lance Armstrong is so colossally tall at 5'9".

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Really? Pedally?

Piermaritzburg
La Bresse
Vallnord
Fort William
Maribor
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming

and world champs was another story.

They are pedalier than this year anyway.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
I too get kinda bored by Minnaar winning, plainly because he wins an awful lot these days. Timmeh is right, watching Hill/Reid/Gwin/Brendog/Blenky ride is much more exciting, mainly cause it's more inspiring watching someone destroy the tech stuff and then lose a bit of time on the pedaling bits because they're not fit, than watching Greg take three seconds of out everyone on the straights.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:06 Quote
I go back to Reid. Little guys like him, Troy Brosnan (I know he's young but he's never gonna be a pedaller), Joe Barnes, Roory Cunningham.

Small helps with tech a little bit as you can get in and around the trees more. But name a powerful guy that is little. Peaty, tall, Minnaar, tall, Rennie, tall...

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:07 Quote
See edit, Sam. And I missed Bromont.

Minaar won on PMB, Fort Bill and Bromont.
Peat won on Vallnord and La Bresse.
Hill won on Mont Sainte Anne and Schladming.
Barel won on Maribor.

Find a unifying feature here. Three spinners, one pinner.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:08 Quote
Um, um, small and powerful, a lot of the 4X guys (at least a few years ago), Bryn Atkinson (although he does shit now anyway)...

*EDIT* Barel is not a spinner, neither really is Peaty, he won the champs on the top section and has always been a good tech rider.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:09 Quote
Being big enables you to distribute and transfer weight better and easier, and use a longer wheelbase as if it was shorter than a shorter guy could... more body suspension as well.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:10 Quote
There may be the odd exception. Especially in 4X, but as a general rule of thumb, tall guys are usually better at pedalling, and little guys are usually better at technical.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:10 Quote
These guys are the top bike riders in the world. If they can't be f*cked to put in enough training to get fit in their seven-month off-season, they don't deserve to win.

Like I said, if tall guys are good at pedaling that explains why 5'9" Lance Armstrong, 5'9" Alberto Contador, 5'9" Mark Cavendish, 5'10" Floyd Landis are such colossally tall cyclists, doesn't it now.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:11 Quote
harriieee wrote:
These guys are the top bike riders in the world. If they can't be f*cked to put in enough training to get fit in their seven-month off-season, they don't deserve to win.
so so true!!

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:14 Quote
harriieee wrote:

I agree, and you'll find it hard to find someone that doesn't train in the off season. Still doesn't change the point about the fact downhill tracks shouldn't have big long pedally straights to 'seperate the riders'.

And my point still stands about Minnaar being boring. We all know if he was as good at pedalling as Fairclough he probably wouldn't make a podium every race.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 15:14 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Being big enables you to distribute and transfer weight better and easier, and use a longer wheelbase as if it was shorter than a shorter guy could... more body suspension as well.
Being tall allows you to lean the bike between your legs whereas being small you have to stay at the same angle as the bike. That is about the only difference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023144
Mobile Version of Website