AM bike that excels in Mild-DH/FR?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
AM bike that excels in Mild-DH/FR?
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 11:08 Quote
Clamber wrote:
Damnit, I might as well just go all out.

Transition Blindside
+
Fox Van Coil Shock
+
RockShox BoXXer Team
+
Transition Parts Kit
=
Badass bike/Happy me?

It will cost more that I want to spend, but I might as well do it. Rather buy something awesome now than have to replace everything else down the road.
It wont be the best for pedaling up, but it should be alright. More of a workout.
And going down just may be orgasmic.
I am a big dude at 6ft4 215 and I have the large bottlerocket and just did around a 20 mile AM bikeride yesterday with around a 7 mile uphill and was not a happy camper. You will be able to pedal the blindside, but I think the blindside might be overkill.

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 12:29 Quote
my mate used to borrow my socom on xc rides when a bunch of us used to hit the trails. he used to vomit on the climbs whilst i was on my old cannondale carbon rush. if your pondering getting a bike you keep trying to justify buying then buy it. i've given up on aesthetics for biking now and interested in the ride - hence alpine 160 all the way for me!

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 12:31 Quote
GenericName wrote:
almightybenners wrote:
orange alpine 160

This all the way.

orange makes gnar bikes but they are definately no the best pedallers

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 13:00 Quote
That's true, although considering the blindside seems to be the current favourite, pedalling doesn't seem to be his highest priority here. Plus, the Alpine is supposedly awesome on the downs and will be able to cope with pretty much anything you point it at, whilst not being too hard on the ups.

Less importantly, I'm guessing that Oranges aren't as widespread in the US, so there's the added style points from having an unusual bike. I may be wrong on this though...

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 7:26 Quote
Specialized SX trial enough said. If not, then I would definetly go with a Trek Scratch, Giant Reign, or the Santa Cruz Nomad. If you're really going to pound on the bike I would either go with the Specialized or Trek. The Nomad is more built for AM and light FR. Don't get me wrong, Santa Cruz makes some GREAT bikes. Maybe the Santa Cruz Bullit might be better for you. The frame is about 2 lbs heavier though. I have heared some good things about the Reign, but not enough for me to vouche for it. All these companies, I personally feel, have the better and easy to work with warranties. You're more likely to find a dealer that sells one of those brands too. If you order through the net, it can be a real pain to deal with a warranty issue.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 23:46 Quote
marin quake nuff said.

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 7:53 Quote
i have a giant regin 08 model, and a sx trail 2 2010.
hands no doubt get a sx trail, sweet bike, can ride it up, hard work but can do it! and amazing on the downs, easily do anything you want from it.
any questions fee free to ask

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 12:30 Quote
Devinci hectik for sure

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
sagetthegreat wrote:
Devinci hectik for sure

+1

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 21:46 Quote
You're in the same position I was in a month ago. Go test ride one. There was a demo day near me for Trek, Giant, and a few others. Between that and bike shops, I pretty much was able to test each bike I wanted or something really similar so I could see how the suspension was, pedaling, etc. See if you can find a demo near you or bike shops that have what you're looking for-It makes the choice much easier and there will be no doubt you got what you wanted.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 21:55 Quote
sagetthegreat wrote:
Devinci hectik for sure
+1
Right now I have mine set up with wide bars, dual ply tires and a chainguide for bike parks, it shall be prime. 33lbs.
Giant reign X is dope as well, also, Cove G-spot, Specialized Enduro.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 22:03 Quote
Banshee Wildcard. I even do XC on mine (surprisingly well too!), it pedals great, jumps amazingly well...and handles the rough stuff great, even at speeds. Definitely a bike that on paper is nothing special but a whole other world of riding once you ride it a few times.

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 22:08 Quote
shizzon wrote:
been having a blast on my Scratch 9, only issue has been the wheels, but trek is super good on their warranty's so all is well. all in all a great FR bike that can pedal well and doesn't weigh a ton, i think the scratch 7 is close to your budget, if not slightly more.

I'm looking at the Scratch 7 or Reign X1. What was the issue you had with the wheels? I don't know much about how Bontrager compares with other brands.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 9:06 Quote
txrider wrote:
shizzon wrote:
been having a blast on my Scratch 9, only issue has been the wheels, but trek is super good on their warranty's so all is well. all in all a great FR bike that can pedal well and doesn't weigh a ton, i think the scratch 7 is close to your budget, if not slightly more.

I'm looking at the Scratch 7 or Reign X1. What was the issue you had with the wheels? I don't know much about how Bontrager compares with other brands.

When i called them they said that there had been a batch that had thin rim extrusions and were not as strong as they should be. I have noticed a bit of flex from the wheels, enough to cause rub on the right chainstay when landing off camber. They warrantied very quickly.

I wouldnt let the wheels sway you away from the Scratch series, i just got a bad set on my bike. Also, the bikes performance is amazing, and i would highly recommend it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024663
Mobile Version of Website