AM bike that excels in Mild-DH/FR?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
AM bike that excels in Mild-DH/FR?
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 15:50 Quote
The Scratch 7 has different wheels and since I haven't had any problems with mine I would assume its just a problem on the 9 model. Again, I totally recommend it but see if you can demo one first.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 18:18 Quote
oudiey wrote:
The Scratch 7 has different wheels and since I haven't had any problems with mine I would assume its just a problem on the 9 model. Again, I totally recommend it but see if you can demo one first.

What size do you have? I've heard they run a bit small given the short tt.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 19:50 Quote
I have a medium (17.5") and i'm about 5'10". The guy at my LBS said the measurements were really close between the 17.5" and 19.5" (like half an inch) but I wanted to err on the side of caution and went smaller. It has a higher stand over than something similar, like an SXT so I didn't want to go large and risk the standover being exactly my inseam. It does feel shorter than another 17.5" frame, but it doesn't feel small. On paper its small but in person it feels just right. lol, I hope that helps, it looks a little confusing as I proofread it.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 22:21 Quote
I have the 19.5" and at 6'1" it feels just about perfect, I can get the seat just about right for the uphills as well as out of the way for the downhills. Im glad i didnt go for the 21.5" as that would have been to big, I did however put my 70 mm thomson stem on it rather than run the 50mm bontrager one, feels perfect.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:00 Quote
oudiey wrote:
I have a medium (17.5") and i'm about 5'10". The guy at my LBS said the measurements were really close between the 17.5" and 19.5" (like half an inch) but I wanted to err on the side of caution and went smaller. It has a higher stand over than something similar, like an SXT so I didn't want to go large and risk the standover being exactly my inseam. It does feel shorter than another 17.5" frame, but it doesn't feel small. On paper its small but in person it feels just right. lol, I hope that helps, it looks a little confusing as I proofread it.

Yeah. Big help. Thanks to both of you for the response! I'm 5'7" so I think I'll probably stick with the 15.5" . . .I usually go smaller anyways.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:06 Quote
As much as I like the Trek Scratch, the one thing that spooks is the ABP and full floater set-up. I'm sure I'm totally wrong here but it just seems like it's too much, too many moving parts out back. I really like the Reign X1 as well and it seems to have a bit more simple set-up, but again I could be totally off on the Scratch.

Thoughts?

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 17:18 Quote
The ABP is amazing. I've heard nothing but good reviews. Even people that hate Trek admit the ABP is a really good piece of technology. From my experience so far, it is tons better than my old suspension braking and works flawlessly. See if anyone has a Remedy to test it on if you can't get a hold of a Scratch, I think you'll be amazed how effective it is. As to the full floater, I understand you're concerns but I think they are baseless. The design has been on Trek bikes since 2008 and it has performed reliably since then for many people. It pedals really well and moves really well between small roots to jumps. I haven't had it for too long so I cannot comment on the durability, but based off my previous experience with Trek and the fact they have used it for 3 years with no serious changes, I feel confident it will last.
If you're worried about the durability I would talk to someone who has a 2008 Remedy. It is a fairly common bike so I'm sure you will be able to find someone to help you out. Its the same technology so even though its a different application it should still be a good measure of how it will stand up over time. If its someone local I'd give it a spin and feel the ABP and Full Floater for yourself because it really did amaze me.
Compared to the Reign, I feel the suspension is pretty equal in complexity because the Trek only has 1 extra pivot, which is the ABP. I talked to a local bike guy about his Giant for a while when I was looking at bikes and he's had it for a few years and likes it a lot but it wasn't enough to sell me on it. Personally, I don't think I'd ever change to another suspension system given how nice this one is but that just my opinion. So overall I'd think you were wrong but I don't have a good basis to declare it as fact that you are.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 17:51 Quote
Do you guys think the Yeti ASR-7 would be a good bike for AM/mild-DH?

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 18:13 Quote
rode a trek scratch air on a demo day and it was amazing

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 19:02 Quote
oudiey wrote:
The ABP is amazing. I've heard nothing but good reviews. Even people that hate Trek admit the ABP is a really good piece of technology. From my experience so far, it is tons better than my old suspension braking and works flawlessly. See if anyone has a Remedy to test it on if you can't get a hold of a Scratch, I think you'll be amazed how effective it is. As to the full floater, I understand you're concerns but I think they are baseless. The design has been on Trek bikes since 2008 and it has performed reliably since then for many people. It pedals really well and moves really well between small roots to jumps. I haven't had it for too long so I cannot comment on the durability, but based off my previous experience with Trek and the fact they have used it for 3 years with no serious changes, I feel confident it will last.
If you're worried about the durability I would talk to someone who has a 2008 Remedy. It is a fairly common bike so I'm sure you will be able to find someone to help you out. Its the same technology so even though its a different application it should still be a good measure of how it will stand up over time. If its someone local I'd give it a spin and feel the ABP and Full Floater for yourself because it really did amaze me.
Compared to the Reign, I feel the suspension is pretty equal in complexity because the Trek only has 1 extra pivot, which is the ABP. I talked to a local bike guy about his Giant for a while when I was looking at bikes and he's had it for a few years and likes it a lot but it wasn't enough to sell me on it. Personally, I don't think I'd ever change to another suspension system given how nice this one is but that just my opinion. So overall I'd think you were wrong but I don't have a good basis to declare it as fact that you are.

Nope. That's all good to hear. Glad to be wrong on this one. Thanks again for the response.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
No problem. I'm glad to help. Let us know what you decide though :Cool :

Posted: Sep 5, 2010 at 2:20 Quote
What about Intense Uzzi? You can set it as you prefer costuming rear travel and G3 dropouts

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
Two things, intense Uzzi is a great option, just pricey.

As far as the Trek Remedy, I have a 2008 Remedy 8, and I can definetly attest to its strength. It makes for a great 6", slopestyle, Freeride, All mountain bike. The first thing I changed was the wheels for a heavier more stout set. Then little pieces here and there for preference. But after 2 years of some pretty good beatings, and meticulous maintenance, it still rides as well as it did off the showroom floor. Just like any other bike do yourself a favor and check the bearings for smoothness and enough grease, even if it is a new bike.
I got a chance to ride the 2010 and 2011 Scratches, and honestly, I liked my Remedy better even on the free ride lines. The Scratch has a short top tube that I just don't like. It is not a full on free ride bike, or a downhill machine but is capable of truly doing it all, from effecient climbing to confident descending and 25 foot gaps, and that is under an amateur like me, get someone that is really good and this bike can do it all. Big old thumbs up to Trek's Remedy and Scratch.

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 14:21 Quote
I am looking to get either a Trek Scratch 9 2010 wit a fox 36 Van 180 or a Giant Faith 0 2010. I live in Vancouver so I want to go to whistler 15 or so times in the summer but in the spring fall winter I want to do local trails where pedaling is necessary. The Trek is a better pedaler but the Giant is a bit better at DH. Do you think I would have any regrets with the Trek at whister or do you think that I would be able to pedal the faith uphill if I put in the effort. I am in good shape.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:54 Quote
Everytime I ride my Scratch in the rough stuff I am suprised, it is a great do it all bike. That being said the Sratch is even more capable with a minimal penalty. I would stick with the 160mm fork and see how it goes before dropping the cash on 20mm more travel, it really doesn't make enough difference. A faith would be murder going up, especially given the limited seatpost length. I would go with a KHS lucky before a Faith for those reasons and a few other.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023295
Mobile Version of Website