Downhill bike for a small girl?

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Downhill bike for a small girl?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 20:47 Quote
I have decided to give DH a good try. I went on my brothers old beaten up norco six, and had the time of my life. I will continue to ride that beast until I decide if I really want to stick with it. But anyways, I was wondering, that since i'm pretty small (5'3", 115 lbs) should I go for a female specific bike? What would you recommend for someone like me? We live right close to Fernie B.C., so that's where I will be riding most of the time, if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be totally awesome and completely helpful, seeing as I don't know that much. Smile

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 21:11 Quote
Escape-Artist wrote:
I have decided to give DH a good try. I went on my brothers old beaten up norco six, and had the time of my life. I will continue to ride that beast until I decide if I really want to stick with it. But anyways, I was wondering, that since i'm pretty small (5'3", 115 lbs) should I go for a female specific bike? What would you recommend for someone like me? We live right close to Fernie B.C., so that's where I will be riding most of the time, if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be totally awesome and completely helpful, seeing as I don't know that much. Smile

How long are your legs compared to your torso.

Women usually have longer legs and shorter torso's than men do. In respect to this Womens bikes usually have a shorter top tube on the same length seat tube.

For 5.3 you would be looking at a small frame 15" tops and something with a 20.5-21" toptube in Womens spec.

Unfortunately after grinding away here I can't seem to find a womens specific DH bike at least in plain view so I would say test the waters. Go out and try some different bikes from different shops. I know that riding them around the parking lot isn't the best test but it will give you an idea about the geometry and the right top tube length.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 21:15 Quote
All that info is really helpful. I actually have pretty short legs... But if I were to compare to my torso I would say that I'm pretty evenly balanced? I don't find that I have a long torso or long legs. :S But yeah I will definitely go try some out. Fernie is a bikers haven, so that part won't be hard. Haha

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 at 22:14 Quote
Escape-Artist wrote:
All that info is really helpful. I actually have pretty short legs... But if I were to compare to my torso I would say that I'm pretty evenly balanced? I don't find that I have a long torso or long legs. :S But yeah I will definitely go try some out. Fernie is a bikers haven, so that part won't be hard. Haha

If you are about 50% leg and 50% torso (not including your head) you might be able to get away with a mens bike women are usually about 60/40

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 21:17 Quote
I know it may cost you an arm and a leg to buy, but if you can demo a Specialized Safire, just do it!! I'm 5'1 and I tried my local bike shop's demo, and it was like riding a cloud that fit my perfect little frame. Specialized has some sweet women's specific bikes and I think you should definitely check them out. If one of their bikes can fit me, they can definitely help you out.

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 22:00 Quote
hey we just got my girlfriend a 2007 kona coilair (yes its not DH oriented) it fits her well and she is pretty much the same measurements as you are, im not saying get a kona but you should be fine on id say most small dh frames (bikes)

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 at 22:06 Quote
If you want a really, really nice DH bike look into a Banshee Legend...they are really small bikes in size small. And amazing bikes.
If you're not looking to spend quite that much, the scythe is definitely a great option, very adjustable (four different combo's of geo and travel..7 or 8 inchs)
That bike in small would also be great.

Banshee bikes in small are tiny, I would be comfortable selling one to someone who was 5' even. infact my friend (who's 5'2") rides a small Scythe and loves it!

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 21:09 Quote
That really helps a lot actually. Thanks for the advice!

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 21:25 Quote
I'm not sure about the 2010...but I know the 2009 Giant Glory was available in extra small.

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 19:24 Quote
or maby a kona minxxy its a freeride all mountin bike

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 19:37 Quote
ever thought that at 115 pounds shes likely not going to use more than 6 inches of travel, if ur more 50/50 as uve stated u could prob ride any bike out there

look around for a 5-6 inch travel fully like your brothers bike (2010sxt, banshee rune, transition bottle rocket, devinci ollie ext).

once you find something report back Salute

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 19:57 Quote
Transition syren. Perfect little bike.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 20:04 Quote
jpv2008 wrote:
Transition syren. Perfect little bike.
Unique thing about this bike is even the suspension is tuned for lighter riders. In the sense that you dont need to source a 200lbs spring or run an air pressure far below operating limits if you weigh 120lbs.

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 21:17 Quote
I was actually really interested in the syren. But does anyone know how well it does downhill? That's all i'm really interested in doing at the moment. I don't plan on buying a new bike this year until I can afford it, so I will ride my brothers medium norco six. But I wonder how switching to a smaller bike would affect my riding?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011707
Mobile Version of Website