Downhill bike for a small girl?

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Downhill bike for a small girl?
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 at 13:24 Quote
Queenofmountain wrote:
I ride a Specialized Demo8 XS and I love it !!!! I'm 5'3 and very light weight. It's pure joy to have a real downhill bike with such a small standover and toptube. Feels like it was meant for me !!! Got so much more confidence in hitting jumps and drops. Go buy a Demo for your girl. She's gonna love it !! Smile

thank you so much i appreciate your help..thats excactly what i was looking for. even though i got the impression that you work for specialized ;-)

i think the girls want a low srndover to be able to really stand over?! ;-) i mean they usually are smaller than men. i think they want to be able to put their feet on the ground without touching the toptube so they have the feeling there is room to play and more room in accidents. just makes them feel more secure. there is also more space for doing tricks etc. + the center of gravity is lower too, which helps in general. just my 2 cents.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 at 14:45 Quote
Nobble wrote:
A quick question for any girls here, why is a low standover so important? It's not like you have anything to hit on the TT like we guys do.
Do I really have to answer this ?? If the standover is too high, I just cannot get off the bike without bending it on the side; a movement I cannot always predict when I fell off my bike !! that simple !!

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 11:39 Quote
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
A quick question for any girls here, why is a low standover so important? It's not like you have anything to hit on the TT like we guys do.
Do I really have to answer this ?? If the standover is too high, I just cannot get off the bike without bending it on the side; a movement I cannot always predict when I fell off my bike !! that simple !!
but thats not related to the standover height, the standover height is the distance between your crotch and the toptube when you're standing over the bike in front of the seat.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 13:38 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
but thats not related to the standover height, the standover height is the distance between your crotch and the toptube when you're standing over the bike in front of the seat.

that is excactly what she meant....when you are standing with the bike between your legs (without sitting on the seat) then you hit your crotch or balls when you are to small for the standover..or you got saggy balls but thats something else.
standover is the height between the ground and the lowest point of the toptube. how you explained it doesnt make sense at all because it would vary from person to person because of step length differences.

here is the geo chart of my bike (banshee legend) where you clearly can see it.
http://www.bikebling.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/legend-geo-chart.jpg

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 14:00 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Queenofmountain wrote:

that is excactly what she meant....when you are standing with the bike between your legs (without sitting on the seat) then you hit your crotch or balls when you are to small for the standover..or you got saggy balls but thats something else.
standover is the height between the ground and the lowest point of the toptube. how you explained it doesnt make sense at all because it would vary from person to person because of step length differences.

see above, that's not related to standover height.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 14:21 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

gosh this is going to take forever....
of course it is...if the freakin standover is too high she just cant stop the bike and take it between her legs when standing straight...no she has to lean it to one side in order to do get off it...same with getting on the bike....and getting on the bike is even harder with a high standover height when the trail is steep and you fell off. i am not an english native speaker but i think i understand her....maybe she can make a video... i am sorry if it sounds mean but....whatever:

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 14:55 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:

of course it is...if the freakin standover is too high she just cant stop the bike and take it between her legs when standing straight...no she has to lean it to one side in order to do get off it...same with getting on the bike....and getting on the bike is even harder with a high standover height when the trail is steep and you fell off. i am not an english native speaker but i think i understand her....maybe she can make a video... i am sorry if it sounds mean but....whatever:
you're confusing standover height and seat height in relation to the ground. I agree it's important to have the right height seat, but if the seat height is correct then the standover is somewhat irrelevant. the standover height also has no effect on how hard it is to get on and off of the bike seeing as the seat is the part you have to clear, not the toptube.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:12 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

you're confusing standover height and seat height in relation to the ground. I agree it's important to have the right height seat, but if the seat height is correct then the standover is somewhat irrelevant. the standover height also has no effect on how hard it is to get on and off of the bike seeing as the seat is the part you have to clear, not the toptube.

I AM CLEARLY NOT CONFUSING SEAT AND STANDOVER...did you even look at the geo chart in the link i posted. are you an attention ho, or you doin this on purpose?!

so tell me after watching the first minute of the vid. if that toptube would have been 10 inches (just hypothetical) higher would the woman still get easily on or off the bike?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFK9wMZWFOo

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:14 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:

I AM CLEARLY NOT CONFUSING SEAT AND STANDOVER...did you even look at the geo chart in the link i posted. are you an attention ho, or you doin this on purpose?!

so tell me after watching the first minute of the vid. if that toptube would have been 10 inches (just hypothetical) higher would the woman still get easily on or off the bike?!
do you fit a downhillbike the same way you would a XC bike?

no.

I'm done with this idiocy, I asked a simple question and you made it something ridiculous because you couldnt understand it.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:32 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

no.

I'm done with this idiocy, I asked a simple question and you made it something ridiculous because you couldnt understand it.

Well, guys, just so you know, when I chose my bike, I did my shopping with pro DH racer. They clearly explained to me what I should be looking for. Short toptube and low standover because you want to be as close to the ground as possible AND you want to be able to clear the toptube in between legs so on steep terrain (which is usually steeper in DH than it would be in regular XC ride) I could come off my bike pretty easily without hurting myself (yes it does hurt when you hit the pubic bone with no balls) and also because the hit of the toptube can simply throw you off balance. Isn't simple !?

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:37 Quote
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:

no.

Well, guys, just so you know, when I chose my bike, I did my shopping with pro DH racer. They clearly explained to me what I should be looking for. Short toptube and low standover because you want to be as close to the ground as possible AND you want to be able to clear the toptube in between legs so on steep terrain (which is usually steeper in DH than it would be in regular XC ride) I could come off my bike pretty easily without hurting myself (yes it does hurt when you hit the pubic bone with no balls) and also because the hit of the toptube can simply throw you off balance. Isn't simple !?
the point I was trying to make is that there's no real reason why a girl needs a lower standover than a guy. unlike TT lengths and leverage ratios which are dependent on size or weight and hence there is a need for different setups to accommodate the smaller average size of a female. there's no need for a "women specific" standover height because a smaller bike will have a lower standover by design.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:40 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:

no.

the point I was trying to make is that there's no real reason why a girl needs a lower standover than a guy. unlike TT lengths and leverage ratios which are dependent on size or weight and hence there is a need for different setups to accommodate the smaller average size of a female. there's no need for a "women specific" standover height because a smaller bike will have a lower standover by design.
Sure but the topic here is DH bike for a small girl !! Smile If I'd be 5'6 I would not share my thoughts here !! And small DH bike with standover low enough for small women are pretty rare. Just saying. I found mine and it's perfect but it takes a while, and not a lot of bike shop have it to test ride it or to see the fit.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:42 Quote
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Queenofmountain wrote:

Sure but the topic here is DH bike for a small girl !! Smile And small DH bike with standover low enough for small women are pretty rare. Just saying. I found mine and it's perfect but it takes a while, and not a lot of bike shop have it to test ride it or to see the fit.
I know, but it's more an issue of finding small sizes in general, a small guy would have the same fit issues.

but my GF is tall, she rode my large glory with the seat slammed lol

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:47 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Sure but the topic here is DH bike for a small girl !! Smile And small DH bike with standover low enough for small women are pretty rare. Just saying. I found mine and it's perfect but it takes a while, and not a lot of bike shop have it to test ride it or to see the fit.
I know, but it's more an issue of finding small sizes in general, a small guy would have the same fit issues.

but my GF is tall, she rode my large glory with the seat slammed lol

I don't know a lot of guy my height...I guess young boy rider maybe. Let say we are limited with the options and the point of sharing thoughts and experiences here is for this guy who wants his small size GF to ride, to help him find a suitable, ridable and enjoyable bike for her to like the sports...young boy who gets into DH are usually more motivated and they don't care to get hurt to any parts of their body !! But anyway, you are off topic since you have nothing to share really with your oh-so-lucky tall GF. Wink

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:58 Quote
Queenofmountain wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:

no.

You are just the Queen thanks. Well Thats what we tried to explain all the Time. Just with different words. But if you nobble Even telling me after all posts i wouldnt understand... that is ridiculous. Queen gave you an understandable answer right away, Then i tried it several times. Dont try to blame it on us just because you realised you didnt understand it right away.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011554
Mobile Version of Website