Mental Strength

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 6:42 Quote
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on preparing mentally for a downhill race at the start hut, i always seem to be fine until its my turn to leave the hut, its really holding me back.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Cheers

Nathan

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 7:43 Quote
Try to visualise yourself doing the run perfectly in your mind. I find this helps my confidence.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 8:19 Quote
And visualize yourself in a race run when you're out training, so that when you finally get up to the gate you know where your limits are. Also, try to focus all of your energy into the race before the start and clear your mind of anything else. Then just let all of that energy out as soon as the timer goes off.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 8:32 Quote
Just relax and enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, don't race. I doubt you're exactly racing World Cups, so stop psyching yourself out so hard and obviously letting it get to you. At the end of a race run I'm usually buzzing like nothing else, not necessarily because I smoked the run but becaue I love the feeling of racing.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 10:03 Quote
thanks guys, im looking for tips on boosting my confidence and ability to believe in myself when racing ill give all there tips a try and see how they work. Thanks again

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 3:28 Quote
on topic: breathe well

off topic: betty, is you username a play on words?

screenager

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 4:25 Quote
screenager wrote:
on topic: breathe well

off topic: betty, is you username a play on words?

screenager

Haha yeah it is if you re-arrange the first letters it becomes sweaty bollocks haha

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 6:41 Quote
dont watch stack videos or picks, biggest problem when it comes to confidence
looking at the broken riders photos doesn't help either.
adleast try out those things for a little while and u should notice the difference.
hope that helps

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 13:20 Quote
bettyswallocks wrote:
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on preparing mentally for a downhill race at the start hut, i always seem to be fine until its my turn to leave the hut, its really holding me back.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Cheers

Nathan

RELAX. Remember when you rode your bike down some scary shit because it was fun? Yeah finishing a race on the podium is cool, but dont you ride to have fun?

Life's too short, so wake up and go play.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 14:46 Quote
Yeah as said before, try to put your self in that racer mind set while training. and while racing, forget about everythng else, no clock, no ropes, no fans, no upcoming section, nothing but you havng fun on your bike. Thats why we race in the first place.

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 3:31 Quote
im a competitive swimmer and my coach has always said a goo dperformance is 90% in your head, 10% the body. before a race stand in a quite spot, eyes shut, visualise exactly how you want to ride, go down to every detail, when to hit the brakes, when to turn, how much power you ned to pedal with ect. complete focus on the task at hand, think about what time you want to achive and how you can do it. try planning every part of your race, think first about how you want to start, then acceleration off the line, keeping momentum and finally how you want to hit the finnish line. i find it works well if i visualise myself hitting the timing pads (in the pool) before the rest of the competition, focus on the feeling of winning and try to hone in that feeling and keep it in your mind while your racing, this helps particularly when your in pain or tired it helps you caarry on and give all your effort. When it comes to the race its all about the 'i can' attitude, mental preperation may seem daft to some but belive me, in my own experience it really does help

*EDIT* apologiies for grave digging, didnt realise how old thread was Razz *

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 8:14 Quote
nah dont worrie about it i like to see how every on copes differently to stress thanks for your input

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011243
Mobile Version of Website