G20 Protests in Toronto

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
G20 Protests in Toronto
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 13:17 Quote
So first I'd just like to point out that I'm amazed nothing has been posted yet concerning this topic seeing as the 20 biggest leaders of the world stage were present and the shear amount of crap that went down over the past 2 days was quite interesting.

I have 2 videos; one from saturday, one from sunday. Feel free to add videos or your own 2 cents.

Saturday:

Sunday:
https://vimeo.com/12903946

Mod
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 16:29 Quote
Well, to be honest, I am not only appalled at the behavior of the police (although I think they were for the most part limiting the use of force considering they are outnumbered by protesters etc.), the behavior of some of these protestors/organized groups was idiotic and totally absurd! Destruction of private property of businesses, looting from these businesses, setting police cars on fire, throwing objects at the police is not the way to demonstrate. I am all for freedom of speech and having limited government intervention in day-to-day life but there is only so much a police force using borrowed officers from the rest of Canada can do. They are outnumbered and needed to affect a “Marshall Law” in order to preserve the public safety. I suppose having some liberties temporarily suspended is the cost individuals must pay in order to ensure that public safety is protected.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
I was there (AGO) on saturday could see the smoke rising from the burning police car.

I think this makes me having been present at the two most largely protested events in canada this year, the olympics in vancouver and the G20 in toronto. Here are my thoughts on protesting both. In the case of the Olympics it was not the right time to protest at all, in that case the bid was given to VanOC in 2003 that would have been the appropriate time to speak your mind. I do realize that the promises made were not nesecarily upheld but by the time that athletes have arrived and the games are underway there is nothing that a group of citizens no matter how unhappy. It just makes your country look bad in the eyes of the world.

In the case of the G20, the circumstances were different and the time frame was much tighter. People didn't know 7 years prior that anything would happen in the city. So that raised the question when do you do something. well i beleive that that is one that can be handled many different ways but none involved smashing the windows of the HBC in that just makes your citizens look like shit in the eyes of the world.

My thoughts on protesting, there may be a way to do it and I've never seen it done right.

I know that someone will not spout at me about how the policing was wrong for this or that reason. I cannot be the judge of that. Policing is always a grey area you do get violent cops I get it but not every officer of the law is out to get everyone. And the bottom line they are just human they do interpret things their own certain way and they make mistakes.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 19:05 Quote
From what I saw of the news coverage, the cops played their part quite well. They intervened when they had to and they stood back when they had to. Ideally cops would go after everyone on the spot who was smashing windows but that just aggravates the crowd and in the world of crowd control, that's the last thing you want to do.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 19:20 Quote
alot of the rioting isn't for a purpose, it's senseless violence and destruction of property.

The cops have in some cases been over the line, but what about the idiots smashing a cop car with a f*cking axe. I feel bad for the innocent bystanders, and the "Peaceful Protesters" and Journalists, but the rest of the morons deserve what ever they get.

I thought what they did in the Park was acctually pretty damn smart, surround the mob, and get a few people at a time until everyone is apprehended.

That being said had I been there I'd probably be causing a rukus, but I probably fall into that idiot category.

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 at 21:26 Quote
What these anarchists did on Saturday was ridiculous. What is the point of lighting 2 or 3 cop cars on fire, smashing the windows of Starbucks, Tim Hortons, American Apparel, and a bunch of building in the financial district? I also heard they caught a music store (Steve's Music) on fire? Also a quite a few of them weren't even from Toronto, but places like Texas and shit. Just came up to cause a ruckus. Stupid if you ask me.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 6:11 Quote
I despise rioters and their ignorance.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 8:40 Quote
Toronto is full of stupid idiots. what did the protestors want to begin with before we kicked there asses and threw them in containers. they are just huge pussies, hippies and f*cking idiots and half of them aren't even protestors nobody should ever support these people. nor should they ever hold G20 in major cities ever again.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
the whole thing was way too outta control..

the chicky reporter he scoped out was pretty easy on the eyes tho lol Wink

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 12:04 Quote
I've been hearing a lot on the news that none of the cop cars found had any shotguns in them or ammunition. Any of you guys think that they were placed there to bait violent protestors/keep them occupied? It wouldn't have been the first time the police instigated violence out of the black bloc, it happened in Montreal last year I believe.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 at 16:38 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
I've been hearing a lot on the news that none of the cop cars found had any shotguns in them or ammunition. Any of you guys think that they were placed there to bait violent protestors/keep them occupied? It wouldn't have been the first time the police instigated violence out of the black bloc, it happened in Montreal last year I believe.

there were rumors of it like 3 weeks prior to the g20 meeting that there would be cops to instigate them, hidden civilians to cause shit.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:22 Quote

We like to keep it civil up in hurr.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 at 7:47 Quote
zune wrote:

We like to keep it civil up in hurr.

haha i saw this last night, theres actually a bunch of videos following the anarchists.
one lady interveiwed a few asking what they were protesting.
and in another video of them wreaking havoc on a cop car i saw a few of them from her video in the other guys video lol

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026721
Mobile Version of Website