RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:15 Quote
Hello all,

We basically this thread is for people who own, have owned, are interested in getting, or work with RockShox Totem's or Lyrik's

The idea is that it is a help/support thread, although general discussion about the forks is fine as well. So if you have any problems regarding your Totems or Lyriks ask here for help and advice.

When posting looking for help / advice, please post the year and model of your fork, i.e 2009 Totem Coil or 2008 Totem 2-Step Air....

I’ll Start:

I have 2009 Totems coils and have a issue with one of the seals, there is a 1mm gap between the seal and half of the sanction, is this a major problem? Should I get new seals fitted, or just try to tighten the retaining spring? I assume I shouldn’t ride the fork as it is?

Thanks

A.A tup

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:24 Quote
You either need new seals, or a new stantion. is there wear on the stantions at all, or scratches?

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:28 Quote
nosebleed wrote:
You either need new seals, or a new stantion. is there wear on the stantions at all, or scratches?

Stantions are fine, only have about 20-30 hours use, scratch free. I am hoping it just needs new seals, how hard are totems to dismantle?

A.A

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:38 Quote
Blast from the past... here.

I am picking up some totems and a new frame on sunday, can't wait. Bought an extra soft spring for them so they should be wellll soft.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:41 Quote
skawt-1 wrote:
Blast from the past... here.

I am picking up some totems and a new frame on sunday, can't wait. Bought an extra soft spring for them so they should be wellll soft.

Thank you very much Skawt, I hope you love your totems, may I ask what frame you are getting? - My main concern is if I do try it myself and f*ck something up, I cant afford alot for new parts! or New Forks!!! A.A

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:43 Quote
Call me Scott Razz

Bye Bye Ransom hello Reign X

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
nosebleed wrote:

Stantions are fine, only have about 20-30 hours use, scratch free. I am hoping it just needs new seals, how hard are totems to dismantle?

A.A

It's a lot easier than even that makes it. pull the fork off your bike first. pull off your rebound knob, loosen (don't remove yet) the two 5mm allen key bolts on the bottom of the lowers. smack them gently with a hammer to pop the seal. remove the bolts, put them somewhere where they won't get lost. turn the fork rightside up over a bucket and pull the two parts apart (stantions from lowers). you'll need some sort of brace, companies make a proper one, but the spring tension bolt from a shock works too. you'll need a big flat head screwdriver and then you just lever the seals out. they're tough, but will come. you need the bit off the shock so the screwdriver doesn't wreck your lowers. do one leg at a time, so you know which way the seals need to go. lots of grease, then using a seal press, bang the new seals in. there are a couple of tools required to do it properly, so may be a job for LBS, or can do yourself it you have access to a shop.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
I have the 2009 coil, and they too need a service so I'm sending them to TF to get a proper job done on them. When they get back they should be beautiful to ride with.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
skawt-1 wrote:
Call me Scott Razz

Bye Bye Ransom hello Reign X

Nice Smile Totem should match that frame well! - I'll look foward to seeing some pictures in the future Smile A.A

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:08 Quote
nosebleed wrote:
adrenalinaddict wrote:
nosebleed wrote:

A.A

It's a lot easier than even that makes it. pull the fork off your bike first. pull off your rebound knob, loosen (don't remove yet) the two 5mm allen key bolts on the bottom of the lowers. smack them gently with a hammer to pop the seal. remove the bolts, put them somewhere where they won't get lost. turn the fork rightside up over a bucket and pull the two parts apart (stantions from lowers). you'll need some sort of brace, companies make a proper one, but the spring tension bolt from a shock works too. you'll need a big flat head screwdriver and then you just lever the seals out. they're tough, but will come. you need the bit off the shock so the screwdriver doesn't wreck your lowers. do one leg at a time, so you know which way the seals need to go. lots of grease, then using a seal press, bang the new seals in. there are a couple of tools required to do it properly, so may be a job for LBS, or can do yourself it you have access to a shop.

Thanks for the help!! - One of the lads I ride with works in a shop as the Head Mechanic, so I'll see if I can get him to give me a hand. I asume I will have to remove and replace all the lubricants ans oils? Thanks A.A

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:09 Quote
witny wrote:
I have the 2009 coil, and they too need a service so I'm sending them to TF to get a proper job done on them. When they get back they should be beautiful to ride with.

I'm calling him tomorrow to see how much a service ornew seals are, I have heard he is the best in the buisness for RockShox forks Smile A.A

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:21 Quote
If the fork is new send it back for warranty,i have some tips/tricks for the totem coil but will have to ask permission if it's ok to share with you.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
^^ definitely, it could be something more serious and warranty wouldn't do shit if they knew you messed with the fork yourself.

And i plan on getting totems Smile maybe on a scott voltage FR.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:32 Quote
hey got some 09 totem solo airs.... had issues with the old mission control but replaced it with a newer one and sweet ever since Smile fork seems pretty high maintanence as far as servicing goes! anyone experienced clunks or unweighted sag???

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 16:11 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
nosebleed wrote:
adrenalinaddict wrote:

A.A

Thanks for the help!! - One of the lads I ride with works in a shop as the Head Mechanic, so I'll see if I can get him to give me a hand. I asume I will have to remove and replace all the lubricants ans oils? Thanks A.A

if your just changing seals, only need to change lubrication oil, not mission control. full overhaul you need to replace all oil.

PS handy trick for full overhaul is to unwind your compression all the way, this will expose enough of the bolt to get a thin wrench in to pull off your top cap. saves having to take the knob apart

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012305
Mobile Version of Website