RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 10:50 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Yes it will

A 2007 Lyrik??? what about left side upgrades?

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 13:43 Quote
Send an email to RS and have your answer. I see no reason why it shouldn't fit. You are replacing entire right leg with charger.
And you don't need to touch your left side for it to work. That remains just a spring.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
ZachBoschen wrote:
shoshy wrote:
Yes it will

I remember reading somewhere they were doing an upgrade for the air spring too, though I've been to bed since then so I might have imagined it. Mine's a coil anyway. The website says it's compatible with any lyric up to 170mm, which must be all of the old ones.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 17:30 Quote
fielonator wrote:
ZachBoschen wrote:
shoshy wrote:
Yes it will

I remember reading somewhere they were doing an upgrade for the air spring too, though I've been to bed since then so I might have imagined it. Mine's a coil anyway. The website says it's compatible with any lyric up to 170mm, which must be all of the old ones.
Ok thanks man I will definitely look into it more now that I have a little more confidence that it might work, I have a 1 1/8 straight steerer and it's pretty hard to find a new fork with that option so for now this is my best option for the next 2 seasons till I get a new steed

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 15:17 Quote
Well that was easy. Charger damper kit arrived this morning. It took an hour to fit, but most of that was removing the old damper parts and trying not to spill oil all over the place.

I forgot to weigh the fork before I refitted it. Compared to what I removed the new bits seem a lot lighter. The missus came home early so I haven't had a proper test ride or set up yet. Maybe this weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 16:48 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Well that was easy. Charger damper kit arrived this morning. It took an hour to fit, but most of that was removing the old damper parts and trying not to spill oil all over the place.

I forgot to weigh the fork before I refitted it. Compared to what I removed the new bits seem a lot lighter. The missus came home early so I haven't had a proper test ride or set up yet. Maybe this weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

What year is your Lyrik?

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 17:22 Quote
ZachBoschen wrote:
fielonator wrote:

What year is your Lyrik?

It wouldn't matter. The Rockshox website says the Charger upgrade kit is "Compatible with all Lyrik 26” models up to 170mm of travel, air and coil".

Interested to hear how the Charger works out on the Lyrik. I've been thinking about getting the custom Fast Suspension Lyrik damper and Pike topcap with tokens for my Lyrik. Fork dives too much for my liking, and the RC2DH cartridge doesn't feel like it has much adjustment range.

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 17:49 Quote
ChubzyWubzy wrote:
ZachBoschen wrote:
fielonator wrote:

What year is your Lyrik?

It wouldn't matter. The Rockshox website says the Charger upgrade kit is "Compatible with all Lyrik 26” models up to 170mm of travel, air and coil".

Interested to hear how the Charger works out on the Lyrik. I've been thinking about getting the custom Fast Suspension Lyrik damper and Pike topcap with tokens for my Lyrik. Fork dives too much for my liking, and the RC2DH cartridge doesn't feel like it has much adjustment range.

I think the RC2DH is definetly tuned for someone on the lighter side, but I think the pike top cap with vol. spacers will get you pretty far and won't take much out of your wallet

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 18:00 Quote
dbcfr wrote:

2010 Lyrik with charger damper. The only mod I have done where there is significant difference in the feel. Well worth the $300 CDN for an all new fork that performs as well as a 2016. Solo Air is just stock with new seals and Spectro 15wt oil.

Where did you get the Charger damper for $300? The cheapest price I've found is CRC @ $372. I'm considering putting the charger in a Lyrik R but its almost twice as much as getting a RC2dh compression and rebound dampers.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 9:03 Quote
From what I have been told about the older Lyrik, the solo air vs the RC2L air crown have different threading for the top cap on the air side... The CSU's are listed separately on the spares catalogue. Has anyone got a pike top cap to fit on either or both?

Posted: Apr 9, 2016 at 2:04 Quote
ZachBoschen wrote:
fielonator wrote:

What year is your Lyrik?

Not sure what year, it's the coil uturn motion control RC. I think it's around 2009, I got it second hand on here.

I've been thinking about the installation. There was no bush for the bottom of the stanchion in the kit. I wonder if I should have left the one from the old damper in there. Might have to look at that before riding it.

Posted: Apr 10, 2016 at 5:46 Quote
Turns out no bush is required, at least not on the parts drawing from the pike.

So I got to ride my new fork today. It's fitted to a Ragley Mmmbop and I run it at about 145mm travel.

So, I'm riding along trying to see what improvement I'd made with my upgrade, and all I could come up with was that it made the fork feel stiffer. Then I hit my first jump. Wow! There's so much more support when you're hitting the ramp of a jump I missed the landing by miles! After I'd pushed back and tried it again I started to see the improvements I'd made. Over the old motion control damper the Charger does such a good job of supporting the travel on flowy singletrack and through the corners it felt like I'd got a brand new fork. I'm really pleased with it.

It's still quite wet where I ride so I'll leave the tinkering till it's dried out a bit more and I can see what this fork can really do. My starting setup is 2 clicks from open on the LSC and 8 from slowest on the rebound.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 7:29 Quote
Also just put the Charger damper upgrade in my 2013 DP RC2DH Lyriks. Pretty easy to install especially if you are fairly comfortable doing basic servicing on your own forks. The damper also came with a bleed kit but no installation instructions but you can use a combo of the old 2011 and new 2016 Lyrik Tech manuals to strip out the old damper and install the new.

Early days, but I must admit I was expecting it to smooth out small trail chatter more than it has. However the big improvement was the forks feel as if they have way more pop to them, and as described above I think this is due to them having more support or perhaps the rapid recovery gizmo? As a result I feel more confident in going quicker and can manoeuvre the bike down the trail better and my limited jumping is better. I think things are improved when just smashing through stuff too. At the moment running about 110 psi, 25% sag, 2 LSC and about 7 from slow on rebound - here running less rebound than before the mod. The rebound from fully open to closed is less pronounced and reckon the LSC could be too.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 13:24 Quote
^^^^^ did you install Pike seals also or reuse the Lyrik seals ? I wonder how much of the new firmer Charger feel is due to the damper not being fully broken in yet.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 21:05 Quote
tourendo wrote:
^^^^^ did you install Pike seals also or reuse the Lyrik seals ? I wonder how much of the new firmer Charger feel is due to the damper not being fully broken in yet.

The charger feel like it rides a lot higher in the travel and will dive a lot less. It takes big hits pretty well too, but takes up small chatter while riding high in the travel and not lower like the RC2DH. It's a great upgrade, but costly

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024409
Mobile Version of Website