RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
Davidtherooster wrote:
hello I have a 2010ish lyric soloair and I replaced the grey seals and wiper seals with the black skf seals and that worked great for a while. the only think I was wondering about is that underneath the main seal where the oil seal used to be I put the foam rings, but is it abnormal for me the foam rings not to take up that whole space? also would it be bad to run the fork with no foam rings and only the main seal? cause I stretched out the foam rings a bit while cleaning them and I wanna bike. Thanks In advance
I have ran mine with the slimmer foam ring for a year without issue .. I would keep them in there though it soaks up any oil trying to get out

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 7:50 Quote
Ok so I've managed to get some 08 lyrik 2 step airs cheap as the 2 step isn't working, is their a common fault on the older models that's easy to fix? I also have domain 318s 160mm model and if the 2 step is shot of be looking to swap out the coil on domains to the lyriks until I get a solo air cartridge ( on a budget for now) .

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
the coil will rub on the inside of the stanchion and it is unlikely to give a good seal with an air piston after

its usually a 1-way conversion although some people have had luck covering the coil with heatshrink and got awaya with it.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
iffy wrote:
the coil will rub on the inside of the stanchion and it is unlikely to give a good seal with an air piston after

its usually a 1-way conversion although some people have had luck covering the coil with heatshrink and got awaya with it.
so basically if I go coil I stay coil then, not really fussed as I'm pretty aggressive rider anyways

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
its not much heavier anyway, if you are under 80kg the med will probaby be too much for you unless you like it pretty stiff.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
iffy wrote:
its not much heavier anyway, if you are under 80kg the med will probaby be too much for you unless you like it pretty stiff.
I'm 92kg so no issues there, think I've soft or med currently in domains

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:36 Quote
Ok so I've got the forks now but to they only use about half travel then it's like hitting a brick wall, I assume previous owner has put too much oil in?

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 6:48 Quote
Sounds like it's hydro locked, like a failed seal let all the oil in the damper drop into the lowers.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:01 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Sounds like it's hydro locked, like a failed seal let all the oil in the damper drop into the lowers.
well I'm looking to go coil if 2step is shot. Changing air pressure seems to do nothing.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:38 Quote
You could remove the mission control cartridge and see how much oil is in the upper leg. If there is less than the manual specifies then it might have leaked into the lowers.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:53 Quote
dingus wrote:
You could remove the mission control cartridge and see how much oil is in the upper leg. If there is less than the manual specifies then it might have leaked into the lowers.
well from experience it definitely feels like excessive oil amount. Anyone got chart handy for 08 lyriks please

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 22:25 Quote
shiver-dc wrote:
dingus wrote:
well from experience it definitely feels like excessive oil amount. Anyone got chart handy for 08 lyriks please

You can also just take to rebound knob off and the bolt on the air/spring side (release the air/spring first), loosen the lowers bolts and let them drain. If more than a little bit of fluid comes out then (I think the spec is 15ml) then oil is leaking into the lowers causing them to bind. If your fork works again (but feels like there is no damping) then its a good sign the rebound damper seal is leaking.

A lasy short term fix is just to add a few mills of fluid at a time to the top until it feels right and then each time it starts to bind of feel like there isnt enough damping, repeat. Will keep you going until new parts arrive.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 3:02 Quote
ntd14 wrote:
shiver-dc wrote:
dingus wrote:

You can also just take to rebound knob off and the bolt on the air/spring side (release the air/spring first), loosen the lowers bolts and let them drain. If more than a little bit of fluid comes out then (I think the spec is 15ml) then oil is leaking into the lowers causing them to bind. If your fork works again (but feels like there is no damping) then its a good sign the rebound damper seal is leaking.

A lasy short term fix is just to add a few mills of fluid at a time to the top until it feels right and then each time it starts to bind of feel like there isnt enough damping, repeat. Will keep you going until new parts arrive.
right I've stripped them down and rather surprised, 0 oil in upper half and all pi*send out from bottom. However if I put oil in lower damper unit it doesn't leak? Maybe the previous owner had no clue on how to service them?

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 3:44 Quote
What I have done is redone oils but until I ride for a bit I won't find out as all adjustments are working and gets full travel.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
You need to replace the o rings that seal the upper part from the lower part of the fork. If you don't it will leak again and the same thing will happen again. mine Do this at least once a season I took the o rings to a hydraulic shop and got them to size them for me and got them in a N70 durometer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010963
Mobile Version of Website