Post your fixed gear

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Post your fixed gear
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 6:23 Quote
JVance wrote:
never-stop wrote:
Riding fixed with tubs on the street is hardly functional?

TUFO tubeless tubulars, they use sealant just like a tubeless MTB tire (TUFO pioneered this concept in the early 90's). I've commuted, trained and raced on TUFOs since 2000. They've functioned better than any clincher I had previously ridden in terms of ride, durability, flat-prevention, and weight.

never-stop wrote:
The better things function the better they look, it doesn't look good if it doesn't function, it goes both ways, you have to admit, your bike would look a hell of a lot nicer if it didn't have empty cable guides waiting to gash your crotch

I've never ridden my bike sitting on the top-tube. The only time you should be concerned about gashing your crotch is when you're posing; it's funny that you're concerned about that.

I've done it before when falling offroad or bailing out of a track stand, it hurt, hence why it concerns me and personally i'd burn through tubs in no time if i was riding brakeless,

My uncle broke one of those Trek frames when he was just commuting on it daily as a road bike, carbon gave way...

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 6:38 Quote
never-stop wrote:
JVance wrote:
never-stop wrote:
Riding fixed with tubs on the street is hardly functional?

TUFO tubeless tubulars, they use sealant just like a tubeless MTB tire (TUFO pioneered this concept in the early 90's). I've commuted, trained and raced on TUFOs since 2000. They've functioned better than any clincher I had previously ridden in terms of ride, durability, flat-prevention, and weight.

never-stop wrote:
The better things function the better they look, it doesn't look good if it doesn't function, it goes both ways, you have to admit, your bike would look a hell of a lot nicer if it didn't have empty cable guides waiting to gash your crotch

I've never ridden my bike sitting on the top-tube. The only time you should be concerned about gashing your crotch is when you're posing; it's funny that you're concerned about that.

I've done it before when falling offroad or bailing out of a track stand, it hurt, hence why it concerns me and personally i'd burn through tubs in no time if i was riding brakeless,

My uncle broke one of those Trek frames when he was just commuting on it daily as a road bike, carbon gave way...

I mashed my knee into one of my empty cable guides the other day, hurt like a bitch lol .
Plan on painting the frame though so they can stay and I'll grind them off before painting it

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 8:00 Quote
never-stop wrote:

[/Quote]

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read. OK, you win.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
JVance wrote:
never-stop wrote:

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read. OK, you win.[/Quote]

Hurting my leg on a track stand? hardly comedy gold

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 14:19 Quote
Ah yes, that's right; so while you're judging other people's bikes for functionality, you're running double straps on your flat-bar poseurmobile, while not being able to competently track stand.

I bet you're a wobbly street-corner side-show. Sorry son, I've been track-standing since you learned how to ride a bike, track and road, fixed and freewheel. The fact I left cable guides on my top-tube apparently is a problem for you that I never had. So keep inventing new arguments...and keep your crotch off the top-tube. There's no place for that kind of filthiness in cycling you sicko.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 14:32 Quote
I think one of those cable guides might be stuck up someone's ass . . .

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
My ass hasn't been anywhere near one. I didn't realize it was a problem for some people until Never-Stop admitted it was a problem when he sometimes-stops.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 19:04 Quote
Just a heads up homie, don't go off on one of the Internet. Makes you look like a right wanker.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
JVance wrote:
Ah yes, that's right; so while you're judging other people's bikes for functionality, you're running double straps on your flat-bar poseurmobile, while not being able to competently track stand.

I bet you're a wobbly street-corner side-show. Sorry son, I've been track-standing since you learned how to ride a bike, track and road, fixed and freewheel. The fact I left cable guides on my top-tube apparently is a problem for you that I never had. So keep inventing new arguments...and keep your crotch off the top-tube. There's no place for that kind of filthiness in cycling you sicko.
You know some people just have off-moments right? I used to work with a guy who raced track, could track stand with no hands no problem and I have seen him have to bail a track stand a few times....

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:13 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
You know some people just have off-moments right? I used to work with a guy who raced track, could track stand with no hands no problem and I have seen him have to bail a track stand a few times....

It's a problem when form is prioritized over function, when you've chosen to ride equipment that's above your skill level. The exposed cable-stops are not my problem, and if I had to "bail" a track-stand (I'd love to vids of you guys doing this, since it sounds common around here), I could simply unclip in a controlled manner. My clips and straps stayed on my track bike as they provided no functional advantage outside of sprint/kilometer events.

Go ahead and criticize my bike...but if you do so under the guise of form vs. function, and in the process outline all of the problems you've created by prioritizing form over function, don't be surprised when somebody challenges your cred and points out your BS.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:50 Quote
JVance wrote:
RyanWensley wrote:

It's a problem when form is prioritized over function, when you've chosen to ride equipment that's above your skill level. The exposed cable-stops are not my problem, and if I had to "bail" a track-stand (I'd love to vids of you guys doing this, since it sounds common around here), I could simply unclip in a controlled manner. My clips and straps stayed on my track bike as they provided no functional advantage outside of sprint/kilometer events.

Go ahead and criticize my bike...but if you do so under the guise of form vs. function, and in the process outline all of the problems you've created by prioritizing form over function, don't be surprised when somebody challenges your cred and points out your BS.

Technically your bike does not meet function>form as its original sole function was to be used as a geared road bike. Therefore your bike does not fulfill its function.

You have a Ti post, definitely form over function there.

You use tubulars on a fixed bike used for the street - screams bragging rights IMO.

You use a Izumi V Super Toughness when an Izumi basic chain performs the function perfectly fine at a fraction of the cost.

You have, what look to be, Speedplay pedals, normal shimano SPD perform just as well for a fraction of the price once again.

You have an ENO rear hub, which while it performs its function really well it would be better to just get a frame designed for single speed/fixed.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
photo
My Fixed bike that doesn't really see the light of day atm.

Foffa frame (Shit but lasted well)
Omniums
Shimano Dura Ace Sprocket (Don't know the number denomination, it was £5)
Gatorskin Hardshells (Worn to f*ck but still don't get punctures and doesn't get used so not bothered atm)
HPlus Son Rims (can't remember model) laced to Novatech hubs.
CK headset
Thomson stem (Quill - A adapter because I bent my Quill and had the thomson lying around)
Deda compact bars (had some vintage 3ttt bars when I had the quill but gave to a friend)
Fizik saddle (A-something)
Thomson post (had it lying around)
Custom fork made by Talbot Frameworks (used to work with him when he first started, painted in Chromaflair)

I think the current gearing is 49-16 but I haven't ridden in a while like I said. For a cheap bike it has served me well, being used SS and Fixed on the streets of London and the highest area in SE London.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 20:47 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
Technically your bike does not meet function>form as its original sole function was to be used as a geared road bike. Therefore your bike does not fulfill its function.

It's a bicycle; its function was to be ridden. I rode it as a geared bike from 2000-2003, and converted it to a fixed gear in 2003. It was my only road bike from 2000-2008; I raced it (as a geared bike), trained and commuted on it (geared and fixed). I bought the fixed Bike Friday (posted earlier) in 2008 for a bi/tri-weekly two-state commute that required a train ride that only allowed folding bicycles. The OCLV was ridden again as a fixed gear, this time with brakes (woo hoo, cable-stops) from 2010 on, and converted back into a geared bike last year.

That said, currently it is not fulfilling its function as its been replaced. I'm not riding it, it's in a state of limbo...either slated to be converted back to a fixed gear, or I may donate the frame to a local art project.

I alluded earlier (I think) that it was converted using components I already had, save for the ENO hub. But since you've pointed out some of them, how about I elaborate...

RyanWensley wrote:
You have a Ti post, definitely form over function there.

That Dean Ti post came with a Harry Havnoonian frame that I bought in 1998. I raced the HH for a year and sold the frame, but kept the seat post. I've ran that post on every road bike I've owned ever since and it currently resides on my Zen. Form > function? Maybe. But name one component you've owned for nearly 20 years (or even one you have now that's worth owning for 20 years). I suspect it will outlive me.

RyanWensley wrote:
You use tubulars on a fixed bike used for the street - screams bragging rights IMO.

I've ridden tubulars for racing and training since the 90's. I stumbled across TUFOs in 2000 (I think?) and was impressed by their durability, flat resistance (they are a tubeless tire, uses sealant, most punctures seal up quickly), and consistency/roundness. And they're not expensive. I rode TUFOs religiously for ~17 years, mostly tubular, and more recently their tubular-clinchers (same tubular construction, but with a seam that grips a clincher rim's hooks instead of base-tape). Search online. You'll find lots of people who hate them. I erroneously think they're the best tires made and will probably return to riding them after I give up on these wide-rims and 28c tires I've been riding lately.

RyanWensley wrote:
You use a Izumi V Super Toughness when an Izumi basic chain performs the function perfectly fine at a fraction of the cost.

Spare chain. Why buy another chain when you already have one?
FWIW, their bushings don't hold up well to the grit and weather on the road. I've been perfectly happy with cheap KMCs, which saw many more miles than that Izumi.

RyanWensley wrote:
You have, what look to be, Speedplay pedals, normal shimano SPD perform just as well for a fraction of the price once again.

Clearly, you're no sprinter. Speedplays on the road (and they are the only clipless pedal that I would choose to use with confidence on the track), SPDs on the MTB. I've ridden both to know which shoe is staying attached to the pedal during an all-out sprint and which is not. The pedals in that pic may be 20 years old...or maybe 17. I can't recall if the insurance company replaced them when I got hit in 2000. Either way, a reasonable return on investment, IMO, for a superior pedal.

RyanWensley wrote:
You have an ENO rear hub, which while it performs its function really well it would be better to just get a frame designed for single speed/fixed.

Better for what and for whom? In 2003 when I converted that OCLV, the landscape wasn't exactly ripe for single-speeds. I already owned the bike, preferred its fit and geometry (which I later copied on the custom Bike Friday), and it was light, stiff and I was familiar with its handling. I wasn't about to ride my track bike on the road (save for the occasional time-trial). The ENO hub was an attractive solution, rather than buy a custom frame at that time. My riding didn't change, nor did the group I rode and trained with. I simply went from 18 speeds to 1 speed, and kept on.

BTW, cool bike (is it the camera angle, or are those wheels laced 3-leading/3-trailing?). FWIW, I also ride a Thompson post, circa 1999; again, maybe form > function (though, I can't remember there being a lot of options for 440mm posts back in 1999...what can you remember from 1999?), but keep yours for 15 years and report back. Perhaps your perspective of form and function will have evolved.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 21:05 Quote
It's crap I've owned for years.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017395
Mobile Version of Website