Specialized pitch or other am bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized pitch or other am bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 23:32 Quote
So my kona stinky was stolen, but it was a blessing in disguise because i realized i needed an am instead of a freeride bike.

I was wondering if the pitch was any good for mostly xc trail riding, occasional dirt jumps, and about 4 trips up to whistler a summer.

and what are the bikes in the same class?? i like the specialized but there has to be some competition for this setup style of bike

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 0:01 Quote
Konablast07 wrote:
So my kona stinky was stolen, but it was a blessing in disguise because i realized i needed an am instead of a freeride bike.

I was wondering if the pitch was any good for mostly xc trail riding, occasional dirt jumps, and about 4 trips up to whistler a summer.

and what are the bikes in the same class?? i like the specialized but there has to be some competition for this setup style of bike
i'm gonna say SX trail...

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 11:41 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Konablast07 wrote:

i'm gonna say SX trail...

yeah but the sx trail is more a freeride bike while the pitch is all mountain, but i'm not sure of the weight of both

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
Pitch Pro is awesome bike, the 2010 just won a big All-Mtn grouptest in "MBR" magazine (UK) grouptest - they said the bike is sub 30lb

its a strong frame / bike for sure, you can beat the sh*t of the Pitch, and get the Pro model to get the better rear shock (Fox RP2) and parts

but look at upgrading the RS Pike fork to something a little burlier like RS Lyric or Fox 36 if you want to go faster / harder on a Pitch, and use it for Bike park Wink

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 17:04 Quote
I went to my lbs and they are offering an enduro with fox float and upgraded rear shocks for 2000.
is it a good deal?

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 at 13:02 Quote
which year Enduro?

is it new? or used?

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 at 14:18 Quote
I have been riding my pitch hard for the last 2 year, a couple of trips to the bike park, cased drops, lots of various drops, wall rides, Jumps etc... Most of the same stuff as I used to ride on my DH bike. It would be best to get a longer travel fork with a travel adjust as mine with 160mm of travel can be a pain to climb but it loves to decend.

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 at 23:18 Quote
Yeah so its an 06 enduro but its almost completely custom, and i am wondering the people at the bike shop said that i would destroy the pitch and that it wouldn't stand a chance to runs like a-line at whistler because it just isnt built for even occasional trips to a dh venue. Is this true and how does it feel compared to a freeride/light dh bike?

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 6:52 Quote
hi there - the pitch is a great bike. others I would look at would be

Lapierre Zesty 214/314/514 depending on your budget
Cube AMS

These are in my opinion some of the better kit out there. I just sold a specialized stumpy FSR Expert - and got the Lapierre Zesty 514 and I think it is an amazing bike in every way - but its all about budget.

The Pitch is a good bike, and i would have thought would have taken all you can throw at it, unless your doing serious DH?

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 12:00 Quote
Konablast07 wrote:

Your description of use sounds textbook for the Pitch (or the more expensive 2010 Enduro). IMHO the SX trail is too "freeridey" to be a good xc trail bike, and the Pitch can handle quite a bit of knarl. Whistler won't be a problem unless you are a heavy abusive rider. The only weak link is IMHO is the 32mm fork stanchions, a Lyric or Fox 36 would round out the bike nicely.

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 12:52 Quote
Yeah so its an 06 enduro but its almost completely custom, and i am wondering the people at the bike shop said that i would destroy the pitch and that it wouldn't stand a chance to runs like a-line at whistler because it just isnt built for even occasional trips to a dh venue. Is this true and how does it feel compared to a freeride/light dh bike?

interesting...the people at the bike shop are talking B.S. unfortunately!

Pitch will take serious smackdown, that would kill a 06 Enduro (these tend to snap in the swingarm / horst-pivot clevis joint weld area, or at the front of the swingarm main pivot joint)

the Pitch has a more modern frame using the latest hydroforming technology and all the information Specialized learned from their earlier Enduro and SX Trail frames!

we've sold stacks of 2008, 2009 and 2010 Pitch Comp and Pitch Pro, and had riders use them for dirt jump, freeride, downhill and big mountain events like the Mega-Avalanche in France, I have not had ONE Pitch back broken from all these customers!

the most common upgrade for the stock Pitch Comp / Pro was a bigger front suspension fork, swapping the Pike for a Fox 36 or Rockshox Lyric

Pitch is the dark horse in the Specialized line-up, does not share the same attention as the more expensive "Enduro SL" but its a better bike in my opinion - its tough, great geometry, a lower standover height and much better value, and most importantly - the rear suspension feels more capable!!

the 2010 Pitch Pro just won 10/10 in MBR magazine (UK) grouptest, they said its a better performer than the Enduro SL and they have tested literally 1000s of bikes over the years//

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 13:17 Quote
Ive rode my pitch everywhere - long XC loops, medium sized dirtjumps, AM riding and even took it down the WC DH course at fort william several times. The only issue i had was a spoke or 2 snapping so i upgraded the wheels. Its now running single ring up front and descends like its on rails

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 13:31 Quote
Konablast07 wrote:

LIES!!! imo the Pitch is a fantastic bike which I would happily ride DH on, on the smoother, flatter tracks local to me, I am as fast if not faster on my pitch as I am on my DH bikelol . Although DO NOT get the comp, as the x-fusion shock is pitiful, you really need the propedal of the fox shock. You may find an enduro better, depending on your style. Hope this helps tup

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 13:44 Quote
hi i have a pitch and it is amazing , i have put a dhx coil etc on it and hope breaks , there are loads of piks and riding piks of me on it and of it on my page. i work in a bike shop so like to think i know what im on about and i think its ace , amazing for everything from gnarly natural big mountain /all mountain decents , taken it down loads of dh traks done step down and coffin jump at Ae on it and it climbs fairly well two , good geomatery , feels good in the air good for flowy jumpy freeride aswell , or the set up on myn is
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 13:50 Quote
photo
photo

A couple of pics of me on my pitch

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014171
Mobile Version of Website