New 08 Trek Fuel EX

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 16:25 Quote
Anyone ridden the new fuel ex yet?

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 17:25 Quote
yup, not much different from last year. a lot of hype. good ride though.
scott genius blows it away.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 3:51 Quote
I haven't ridden one, but all the reviews I've read are positive.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 3:59 Quote
They share all the great features what the new Fuel X line up has.But the real change is the headtube.They share now a 1 1/8'' and 1.5''

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:54 Quote
trekrules wrote:
They share all the great features what the new Fuel X line up has.But the real change is the headtube.They share now a 1 1/8'' and 1.5''

You may be thinking of the Remedy. It has an 1 1/8" to 1.5" headtube. The Fuel EX has a 1 1/8" headtube.

I have rode the EX 8 and 9. They are very different then the old ones. The new linkage is great. It has very little if no break jack. You get almost no pedal feed back. The ride is greatly improved, it almost feels like a Horst link. Trek does lots of demos so give them a call and see whats up.

I still think Trek bikes are ugly though.2 cents

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 22:33 Quote
I have a 04 EX 8 (it’s for sale) and I use to have a Stumpjumper FSR Expert. I love my fuel. I find it handles much easier, I don’t feel stretched out, turns faster, really does well on the roots and rocks...it's a really good ride. Climbs strong too...Surprisingly it handles jumps well. I don’t feel sketchy like I did on my SJ. The dual lock out is great......

I have no complaints at all...

here is a little something to help http://www.trekbikes.com/fuelex/

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 15:14 Quote
I rode the new Fuel EX at Interbike really hoping that Trek had made a sweet all mountain bike. Yes, it's better than the old one that really sucked. This one just sucks. The suspension bobs like crazy if you try to stand and pedal (and my standing pedal stroke is pretty smooth) and compared to other bikes not that plush through the rough stuff. The back end of the bike does not track like the advertising would lead you to believe. The positioning/geometry on the bike is super XC racer like--you feel like you're riding on the front wheel the whole time. Drop offs and steep drop-ins through ravines are terrifying. Another highlight of this $6,159 bicycle was the location of the main rocker pivot THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE SEAT TUBE essentially eliminating any adjustment in seat post height. I have NO idea why they put a quick release seat clamp on this thing. Weren't they trying to make it light???

Instead of the Fuel EX. You could buy two GT Force 1.0's for $2,700 each for a total of $5,400 and save $750 and be able to ride with your friend or significant other. Another option would be to get a Santa Cruz Blur LT frame at your local dealer and pimp it out with everything you want including Industry Nine wheels and still save about $1,000. Either way you'd have a much better riding bike than the Fuel EX for less money.

Just my 2 cents..

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 9:00 Quote
i have ridden many of the ex's myself at one of treks demos and at my shop. they are amazing bikes. the rear travel seems endless and there is no brake jack or pedal feedback. as for the comment about the pivot placement, it does not really effect the seat post height. as long as you are riding the correct size frame and not being an idiot and trying to ride a high end trail bike with the seat slammed down, then it is very adjustable. and as for the cost, overall the ex bikes are very well priced. the only reason you start getting into the $5000 and $6000 range is when you get into the 9.0 and 9.5 carbon models with the magnesium evo links. the aluminum ex's feature all the same technologies but are a little heavier but still under 30lbs.

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 9:05 Quote
sniggled wrote:
I rode the new Fuel EX at Interbike really hoping that Trek had made a sweet all mountain bike. Yes, it's better than the old one that really sucked. This one just sucks. The suspension bobs like crazy if you try to stand and pedal (and my standing pedal stroke is pretty smooth) and compared to other bikes not that plush through the rough stuff. The back end of the bike does not track like the advertising would lead you to believe. The positioning/geometry on the bike is super XC racer like--you feel like you're riding on the front wheel the whole time. Drop offs and steep drop-ins through ravines are terrifying. Another highlight of this $6,159 bicycle was the location of the main rocker pivot THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE SEAT TUBE essentially eliminating any adjustment in seat post height. I have NO idea why they put a quick release seat clamp on this thing. Weren't they trying to make it light???

Instead of the Fuel EX. You could buy two GT Force 1.0's for $2,700 each for a total of $5,400 and save $750 and be able to ride with your friend or significant other. Another option would be to get a Santa Cruz Blur LT frame at your local dealer and pimp it out with everything you want including Industry Nine wheels and still save about $1,000. Either way you'd have a much better riding bike than the Fuel EX for less money.

Just my 2 cents..
you might have wanted to try the propedal and adjusted the rebound correctly and then you might have found that this bike actually does perform very well, even through the rough.

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 9:08 Quote
My Dad just got his EX-9 this past week and I had the chanse to take it for a rip. I must say its probably one of the best all mountain bikes ever! Its got a strong freeride feel to it, but with the light weight of a cross country bike. I loved ittup

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
The mechanic at my LBS just got new Fuel EX 8: I was looking at it in the shop, the tubes are so coolly shaped and it's just a beautiful bike. Not that heavy either.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2008/large/fuelex8_khakiwhite.jpg

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 18:06 Quote
ridenow wrote:
markdeejay wrote:
yup, not much different from last year. a lot of hype. good ride though.
scott genius blows it away.
they are a 100% diffrent bike then last year

They're not that different. The difference is basically how kona added the DOPE floating brake to the out of bounds line. The rear axle path is the same, it still arches like a single pivot, but the rear brake is now floating, without needing to go horst link and pay Spec.

Not -that- different.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
i like the geometry. are they any good for dirt jumping/slopestyleish riding? (if you put heavier duty parts on)

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
i got one! they are sooooo nice!tup tup tup
photo

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 14:51 Quote
I own one but i got to ride a demo bike from the bike shop I go to when they first came out and I loved it I debated a bit between the Trek and the Cannondale Profit but in the end the Trek prevailed (My Trek is black)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014006
Mobile Version of Website