2008 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper Nitro Rebound Cartridge Conversion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2008 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper Nitro Rebound Cartridge Conversion
Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 20:15 Quote
just did the math..... 55cc for a 4mm hole (for every .5mm increase in hole size you need to use 19% less oil), that's before even considering how the hole size affects the oil flow (hydrodynamics) which may or may not mean that I am WAY off.. I'm guessing it won't work at all with such a small amount of oil. Has anybody used that big of a hole or anywhere close to it?

Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 0:32 Quote
RGonz wrote:
just did the math..... 55cc for a 4mm hole (for every .5mm increase in hole size you need to use 19% less oil), that's before even considering how the hole size affects the oil flow (hydrodynamics) which may or may not mean that I am WAY off.. I'm guessing it won't work at all with such a small amount of oil. Has anybody used that big of a hole or anywhere close to it?

I couldnt imagine running less oil could compensate for a less restrictive hole (4mm) I could be wrong though?
I would recommend buying a single 2mm drill bit...

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 15:15 Quote
Hey just to add another successful conversion story.

I have a 2009 Dirt Jumper 1, same old problem with the rebound cartridge becoming super stiff.

I read all 3 of the forum threads on here and then went with the set of instructions used for a 2009 Dirt Jumper 2, these were modified from the original set Nova66 put up. They worked fine, the oil came out but didn't really squirt much, as long as you drill that bottom hole first.

I used a hand drill and a 1/16" bit ~1.8mm (all I have). I used 7.5wt oil and about 160ml, which is also the recommended quantity roughly for the other leg with the compression/air in.

First impressions are good, I've dialed the rebound down and it's nearly on the slowest setting on the adjuster but seems fine.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 15:26 Quote
When i drilled mine, mine sprayed about 6 feet haha

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 7:30 Quote
Happy to hear this post is still going strong and working for most. Although the spring in my fork has recently become loose and making a rattling noise with every slight bump I go over. Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 21:19 Quote
Hey guys, i've just found this thread. My dj2 has been quite some trouble over the last couple years (always kinda felt shitty, spring rattled, rebound came loose etc.) and im looking at getting a new fork in the summer.
but until then i wanna try to make my fork perform a little better.
Im going to convert my rebound cartridge (which still works) to open bath and also try to stop my spring from rattling(it makes a loud clang every time i pound the fork hard)

any tips on what i should use to stop my spring from making noise? im thinking of using heat shrink or maybe even just some tape or an old tube around my spring.

also do any of you have pictures of the steps you take for the conversion? ive read through this thread and some people have said they have pictures but nobody has posted any of them here

ive also heard of people running their fork with no spring (just air). has anyone here had experience with that? i may try it

i just want my fork to be smooth and not super sticky at initial impact

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 5:41 Quote
Heat shrink and lots of grease, solved my spring noise problem...i dont have the pics anymore, but theres a .pdf file that explains it...ill try to look for it. Otherwise try to google it... Something like "dj1 open bath conversion .pdf"..im on Holliday right now so might be a few weeks before ill post again...

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:33 Quote
I just got sent the official marzo instructions after messaging a user on this forum, I can send them on just message me your email.

Posted: Feb 8, 2013 at 12:02 Quote
Can I have the official marzo instructions files? Thanks!

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 3:23 Quote
antoine71 wrote:
Can I have the official marzo instructions files? Thanks!

Hey mate, if you haven't got these yet inbox me your email.

Posted: Feb 17, 2013 at 3:21 Quote
sorry should of said I'd sent them to him.

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 at 13:53 Quote
Hi guys! I fix mi Z1 Sport 2008 whit this trick. Nice! Just used 15wt oil to have more damper control!

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 8:55 Quote
I've been thinking of doing this mod as even sigh all the air let out I only get 110mm travel, and with the air pressure anything above 5 psi they are really stiff.
1 question, do you pump any air into them after the mod ?

Thanks.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 9:03 Quote
Yes, because after you perform the mod it will be a much softer fork.

Posted: May 9, 2014 at 9:45 Quote
I did this mod the other night and all seems better than expected, only think I couldn't get as I wanted was getting the bottom nuts tight, especially the re bound side, it just seems to spin once it is so tight, but it is not leaking oil at the moment.

Any advice????

Ps, the instructions on here are very good and I am very grateful of the time put in to put them together.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024220
Mobile Version of Website