PB Forum :: Downhill
who are your sponsors?
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
live2ryde wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:
sparky18 wrote:
Sponsors = none
Ride for your self, It's a lot more fun
My opinion, get a real job so you can afford to buy whatever you need, move out of your parents basement and mabey even get a girlfriend!
Sponsors don't pay the bills.

I don't live in my parents basement or anything, but from personal experience, girlfriends cost moeny, and therefore are counter-productive to your first point.

Agreed,and if your a sponserd pro rider, it does pay the bills, its your job career. you dont hear about Cedric Garcia, or Biran Lopes having part time jobs in the off season

Actually you do.

Cedric invests heavily in property and property development.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
bigquotesand if your a sponserd pro rider, it does pay the bills, its your job career. you dont hear about Cedric Garcia, or Biran Lopes having part time jobs in the off season
True, there may be a few that get more than others but most don't get enough to live. Even olympic athletes need jobs to pay the bills. Also when your biking career is done your stuck and looking for a job at McDonalds. All I'm saying is you should concentrate more on a real career/trade instead of getting sponsored so you can always fall back on it.

Posted: Mar 2, 2008 at 3:19 Quote
its common in many extreme sports (including biking) that only a very small top percentage of athletes actually make a real living - in MTB you are talking Brian Lopes, Steve Peat, Cedric Gracia, Richie Schley, etc.

below that you have alot of athletes basically living from race to race, sleeping on friend's floors and just scraping by...they get free parts, expenses and travel but do not get a real salary, or enough of a salary to live on - many of these athletes will have an "off season" job to earn enough during the off season to pay the rent whilst they are "on season" during racing

personally I found this out years ago whilst skating as a pro rollerblader for K2, and then after moving back in biking and picking up some sponsorship deals

I am now a professional bike mechanic which pays the bills, and ride for Mythic (Banshee UK), Da Kine, Freeborn Bikes (a uk importer / bike shop chain) and Esher Shore (freeride bike park)

I get flowed product from my sponsors and expenses paid if I need to attend a photoshoot, event or competition, but certaintly no salary paid, that is where having a trade comes in handy!

Of course working full time means less time for riding, but since riding does not pay the bills, it has to take second place and become something done for fun. I am very happy with my sponsorship arrangement, and work hard to promote my sponsors wherever possible, and represent them in a positive light

however, these sponsorships happened because these companies chose to work with me, and I am realistic about the entire situation - I see alot of kids desperate for sponsorship and clamouring for sponsorship when really all we are doing is riding push bikes and having fun - my advise would be to have fun and not worry about sponsorship

the old cliche "they will find you" is so true, and if its meant to be, then it will happen

the other critical thing about having a trade is that even the top athletes have a very limited shelf life, and you definitely need something to fall back on after your "career" is over - alot of pro riders try to move into working for their sponsors in the office, warehouse, sales dept. but not everyone can do this...and working in a warehouse shipping bikes is not gonna make you a decent living

Posted: Mar 2, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/callum123/Default.aspx?preview=1

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
who is the person (pro) with the most sponsers?

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 1:07 Quote
shredbag wrote:
who is the person (pro) with the most sponsers?

Probs peaty or hill...

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 1:34 Quote
on sponsor house im sponsored by azonic Oneal and avent bombshell

and privatly im sponsored by utopia optics which give me other sponsors too coz im on one of their teams so i get sponsores by alpinestars, osiris shoes, vestal watches, sanomx, sparx helmets

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 1:57 Quote
sepi wrote:
live2ryde wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:

I don't live in my parents basement or anything, but from personal experience, girlfriends cost moeny, and therefore are counter-productive to your first point.

Agreed,and if your a sponserd pro rider, it does pay the bills, its your job career. you dont hear about Cedric Garcia, or Biran Lopes having part time jobs in the off season

Actually you do.

he does that for fun, and the fact he lives in a good area to do it easily, he also runs a bar in la massana, Andorra.

without those i don't think he'd be hard up for cash, seen as he brought a 3 story house in Andorra from biking funds, and they're not cheap

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:01 Quote
stryke wrote:
sepi wrote:
live2ryde wrote:

Actually you do.

he does that for fun, and the fact he lives in a good area to do it easily, he also runs a bar in la massana, Andorra.

without those i don't think he'd be hard up for cash, seen as he brought a 3 story house in Andorra from biking funds, and they're not cheap

He also has his own car importing business, importing exotic cars like hummers etc...

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:04 Quote
Hummer is not a exotic car. No more talking about that, lets get back to sponsors. PS: Sponsorhouse sponsors aren't real sponsors people.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:09 Quote
dotca wrote:
Hummer is not a exotic car. No more talking about that, lets get back to sponsors. PS: Sponsorhouse sponsors aren't real sponsors people.

They are in france, anything non-european is exotic (truth).

And IMO sponsors are only real deal if you get free stuff. Otherwise they're just 'help'.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:16 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
dotca wrote:

And IMO sponsors are only real deal if you get free stuff. Otherwise they're just 'help'.

Hummer is built by GM, in America. But they probally build stuff in France too, and how is it that anything non-european is exotic? And I half agree with your thing on sponsors.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:19 Quote
dotca wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
dotca wrote:

Hummer is built by GM, in America. But they probally build stuff in France too, and how is it that anything non-european is exotic? And I half agree with your thing on sponsors.
If you've ever been to france you'll know that they LOVE their own cars: pugs, rens and citroens. Infact until the late 90's you were hard pushed to find anything else (apart from paris, brest etc). Any unusual cars are still considered exotic no matter how crap they are.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:32 Quote
theoutpost wrote:

He also has his own car importing business, importing exotic cars like hummers etc...

no he doesn't

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 2:50 Quote
stryke wrote:
theoutpost wrote:

no he doesn't
He was in 05, not sure now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045921
Mobile Version of Website