New Hayes 9

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:14 Quote
why not juicy 3s? and if your just doing trails what about a bb7. its not like your going to be using your brakes all the time.

On the other hand the best brake for the price would have to be a shimano deore. There just plain amazing..

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:15 Quote
ride66 wrote:
Every brakes will overheat if you stick your fingers on the levers for too long. Let the heat dissipate by realeasing the brakes for around 3-5 seconds during a long descent before apply thems again.

What I mean is that these heat up much faster than other disc brakes.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:21 Quote
airbornmtnbiker wrote:
ride66 wrote:
Every brakes will overheat if you stick your fingers on the levers for too long. Let the heat dissipate by realeasing the brakes for around 3-5 seconds during a long descent before apply thems again.

What I mean is that these heat up much faster than other disc brakes.

Well you have a point, but I wanted to be clear that every brake can overheat and I want him to be aware of this. If he's new to biking and not in confidence on its bike, then he'll surelly pull the brake too much often and might overheat any brakes. I found the 9 too give me too much hand fatigue too.

To complete, there is two way a brake can overheat
1. The oil expand on the master cylinder (after it had expanded in all the resorvoir) so you have the impression to have less modulation and that the engagement point come faster.
2. The pads overheat and they start to be slip and do not grab the disc very well.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:23 Quote
dude i am not new i started when i was like four but i started beeing confident on downhill track 1 1/2 years ago

no harm done

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:32 Quote
888fork wrote:
then get some formula k18's there awsome.

Dude, didn't they recall those...or were those just the k24's or something?

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:36 Quote
happystinkyman wrote:
888fork wrote:
then get some formula k18's there awsome.

Dude, didn't they recall those...or were those just the k24's or something?

Recall? i didnt hear that.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:37 Quote
mxdirtspinner wrote:
dude i am not new i started when i was like four but i started beeing confident on downhill track 1 1/2 years ago

no harm done

Hey dude, don't want to start a war here [Cauz I know I'd won it anyway Cool ]

But a general rule is that at 13 years old, you are new to insane stuff! I can also tell you that haven't seen a lot of trails with high denivelation as you want to buy brakes that overheat and that give you hand fatigue after a day of ride. You are on a hardtail so you are not going down at full speed don't pulling the brakes.

I'm pretty sure too you don't have the confidence that I have or others users might have too on a bike as you don't have few seasons racing behind you. Not saying that you're newb, everybody needs to start somewhere and I'm glad for you that at 13 you are doing DH instead of street.

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:39 Quote
o snap the sucks i really enjoyed my formulas. my levers didnt fall off.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08027.html

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:44 Quote
it ok kool you jets man

i am fourteen though

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 10:20 Quote
888fork wrote:
o snap the sucks i really enjoyed my formulas. my levers didnt fall off.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08027.html
You say that as pass tense, you no longer roll with em or what? Your levers may not have fallen off but, when you could send them in and get a new set for free. why wouldn't you?

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 13:59 Quote
ride66 wrote:
mxdirtspinner wrote:

no harm done

Hey dude, don't want to start a war here [Cauz I know I'd won it anyway Cool ]

But a general rule is that at 13 years old, you are new to insane stuff! I can also tell you that haven't seen a lot of trails with high denivelation as you want to buy brakes that overheat and that give you hand fatigue after a day of ride. You are on a hardtail so you are not going down at full speed don't pulling the brakes.

I'm pretty sure too you don't have the confidence that I have or others users might have too on a bike as you don't have few seasons racing behind you. Not saying that you're newb, everybody needs to start somewhere and I'm glad for you that at 13 you are doing DH instead of street.

Completely agree with this guy, he's pretty wise.

Hayes 9's are nice when they're set up correctly and you don't abuse them and look after them with all brakes. I've had mine for 2 years and i upgraded with goodridge hoses, Problem with the goodridges is the lever reach it has to be increased, and since hayes 9 dont have an adjuster then you have to use a grub screw. So if its too big of a reach then your hands will be strained to hell after a days ride, I got extreme pains in my left wrist trying to use the back brake, as i didnt take any tools out with me and i never tested it after getting the goodridges. So specially being a 14 year old.

However i've never really had any heat problems, I've felt the power fade due to the braking but as long as you dont ride down a cliff side with both brakes on and pedalling at the same time then i dont see a problem. The chances are you will not come across anything which needs a more powerful brake. So i do reccomend hayes 9.

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 14:24 Quote
ok i am cool thanxs guys

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 15:57 Quote
i have some 9s mine havent over heated im feeling totaly left out. ill try my best to overheat them this weekend. wish me luck guys.

im not a fan of avid brakes the levers even though they feel nice are allways on the squishy side when your pulling them.

The Saints have to be a personal favorate of mine even though my 9's have more power which suit my style more as im not the kind of rider who drags my brakes.

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 16:06 Quote
DO NOT BUY THE HAYES NINE !!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020279
Mobile Version of Website