New Hayes 9

Author Message
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 16:29 Quote
dr-phil wrote:
DO NOT BUY THE HAYES NINE !!!

A reason would be nice, also the use of standard case lettering would be also.

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 16:57 Quote
happystinkyman wrote:
888fork wrote:
o snap the sucks i really enjoyed my formulas. my levers didnt fall off.


http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08027.html
You say that as pass tense, you no longer roll with em or what? Your levers may not have fallen off but, when you could send them in and get a new set for free. why wouldn't you?

my levers didnt fall off. i just sold them to get some codes. there awsome brakes. and plus i sold them for 375.

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 18:13 Quote
i am upgrading though from nothing i had shit rim brakes adiv low class

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 18:28 Quote
ok let me tell you my story about hayes...i had them on my old dh bike and one day i was riding and i was on a trail that started out steep and at the end of the steep part there was a 5-6 foot drop on it then a tabletop right after and i was goin down the steep part slowly(because for the drop you dont need any speed) and about half way down the steep hill my hayes brakes stop working...there was no braking power what so ever . so i go off the ddrop with tons of speed land at the takeoff of the tabletop go head first over my bars and shoot over the table top and land on the ground

i had two massive pedal gashes on one knee , road rash and one pedal gash on the other knee..my elbows were scratched up and so was my back..i also got a miner concussion and a sprained thumb...and i was bruised and battered...and i broke my brand new giro remedy and bent my new handlebars

turns out that hayes 9 have shitty valve seals and one of them broke causing brake fluid to leak out and leave me with no brake power...i would definately not reccomend hayes 9..go for juicy 5s, 7s, or codes...or saints ..and maybe if you want cheap price with alot of power..the new code 5s..definately not hayes

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:14 Quote
brettbike wrote:
ok let me tell you my story about hayes...i had them on my old dh bike and one day i was riding and i was on a trail that started out steep and at the end of the steep part there was a 5-6 foot drop on it then a tabletop right after and i was goin down the steep part slowly(because for the drop you dont need any speed) and about half way down the steep hill my hayes brakes stop working...there was no braking power what so ever . so i go off the ddrop with tons of speed land at the takeoff of the tabletop go head first over my bars and shoot over the table top and land on the ground

i had two massive pedal gashes on one knee , road rash and one pedal gash on the other knee..my elbows were scratched up and so was my back..i also got a miner concussion and a sprained thumb...and i was bruised and battered...and i broke my brand new giro remedy and bent my new handlebars

turns out that hayes 9 have shitty valve seals and one of them broke causing brake fluid to leak out and leave me with no brake power...i would definately not reccomend hayes 9..go for juicy 5s, 7s, or codes...or saints ..and maybe if you want cheap price with alot of power..the new code 5s..definately not hayes

On both brakes ?

For both valve seals to break that is pretty shitty luck.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:24 Quote
ok are there not different types of hayes 9 such as the HFX HD compared to the cheap black ones with silver levers? Also if you have big hands and are use to motorbike/ATV brakes, these seem to be the best feeling brakes for me and they are really easy to rebleed.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:37 Quote
norcorider667 wrote:
ok are there not different types of hayes 9 such as the HFX HD compared to the cheap black ones with silver levers? Also if you have big hands and are use to motorbike/ATV brakes, these seem to be the best feeling brakes for me and they are really easy to rebleed.

I dont know really, i always thought those black and silver levers were magnesium ones haha!

I use the ones which have a hard colour to describe, black levers erm but theyre bloody great. I know what you mean, i gave my mate a little bounce around on my bike and he said it was just like transfering riding a motorbike ( seeing as he did that ) However that isnt for everyones taste

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 16:44 Quote
jallan wrote:
brettbike wrote:
ok let me tell you my story about hayes...i had them on my old dh bike and one day i was riding and i was on a trail that started out steep and at the end of the steep part there was a 5-6 foot drop on it then a tabletop right after and i was goin down the steep part slowly(because for the drop you dont need any speed) and about half way down the steep hill my hayes brakes stop working...there was no braking power what so ever . so i go off the ddrop with tons of speed land at the takeoff of the tabletop go head first over my bars and shoot over the table top and land on the ground

i had two massive pedal gashes on one knee , road rash and one pedal gash on the other knee..my elbows were scratched up and so was my back..i also got a miner concussion and a sprained thumb...and i was bruised and battered...and i broke my brand new giro remedy and bent my new handlebars

turns out that hayes 9 have shitty valve seals and one of them broke causing brake fluid to leak out and leave me with no brake power...i would definately not reccomend hayes 9..go for juicy 5s, 7s, or codes...or saints ..and maybe if you want cheap price with alot of power..the new code 5s..definately not hayes

On both brakes ?

For both valve seals to break that is pretty shitty luck.
lol yeah thats what i thought too

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 8:38 Quote
I have owned owned two different pairs of Hayes Nine V8 brakes and I have also ridden some Hayes Mags. All of the Hayes brakes that I used all had tons of problems. On steep downhills they faded like a kia rio brake, and on top of that the brake would have inconsistent feel. The lever design caused major finger fatigue. There was no modulation whatsoever and the braking power is not that great. Finally I gave up with Hayes and got some avid Juicy's with Goodrige hoses and what a difference. The Avids have way more power, less fade, more modulation, and are much more reliable and consistent. On top of that the Juicy's cost almost as much so why should anyone get the hayes?

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 9:22 Quote
dr-phil wrote:
I have owned owned two different pairs of Hayes Nine V8 brakes and I have also ridden some Hayes Mags. All of the Hayes brakes that I used all had tons of problems. On steep downhills they faded like a kia rio brake, and on top of that the brake would have inconsistent feel. The lever design caused major finger fatigue. There was no modulation whatsoever and the braking power is not that great. Finally I gave up with Hayes and got some avid Juicy's with Goodrige hoses and what a difference. The Avids have way more power, less fade, more modulation, and are much more reliable and consistent. On top of that the Juicy's cost almost as much so why should anyone get the hayes?

Unfair rating, the hayes had standard hoses and the juicys didnt ?

Well My hayes hfx9 with the goodridges hoses are even more powerful than they were before, all brakes will fade when subject to heat, the levers are only going to give you finger fatigue if you have them too far out which is easily solved, the brake does not have a consistent feel when new like all brakes, however once you have used them for a good while they feel exactly the same. Also the pads used on hfx9s seem to last a hell of a lot longer than any other brakes ive seen.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 11:50 Quote
[Quote="jallan"]
dr-phil wrote:
I have owned owned two different pairs of Hayes Nine V8 brakes and I have also ridden some Hayes Mags. All of the Hayes brakes that I used all had tons of problems. On steep downhills they faded like a kia rio brake, and on top of that the brake would have inconsistent feel. The lever design caused major finger fatigue. There was no modulation whatsoever and the braking power is not that great. Finally I gave up with Hayes and got some avid Juicy's with Goodrige hoses and what a difference. The Avids have way more power, less fade, more modulation, and are much more reliable and consistent. On top of that the Juicy's cost almost as much so why should anyone get the hayes?


The Juicy's were way better than the Hayes even without the hoses. Hoses only make a small difference in performance, I put them on because they don't rip and kink.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 11:53 Quote
[Quote="dr-phil"]
jallan wrote:
dr-phil wrote:
I have owned owned two different pairs of Hayes Nine V8 brakes and I have also ridden some Hayes Mags. All of the Hayes brakes that I used all had tons of problems. On steep downhills they faded like a kia rio brake, and on top of that the brake would have inconsistent feel. The lever design caused major finger fatigue. There was no modulation whatsoever and the braking power is not that great. Finally I gave up with Hayes and got some avid Juicy's with Goodrige hoses and what a difference. The Avids have way more power, less fade, more modulation, and are much more reliable and consistent. On top of that the Juicy's cost almost as much so why should anyone get the hayes?


The Juicy's were way better than the Hayes even without the hoses. Hoses only make a small difference in performance, I put them on because they don't rip and kink.

My Juicy 7 with the stock Kevlar hose have all the power I need to stop my bike enven in the worst conditions and they are light enought to keep the weight of my bike sub 40lbs.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:00 Quote
I thought avid brakes + goodridges was a really bad idea ? Thought it screwed the modulation up completely or is that just codes ?

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:02 Quote
jallan wrote:
I thought avid brakes + goodridges was a really bad idea ? Thought it screwed the modulation up completely or is that just codes ?

Emmm correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between stock and goodridge hoses is that they are stainless steel braded...They are way stronger!

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:04 Quote
Stronger as in less expansion (also theyre apparently according to the product description when i bought mine "this product will not break"). I dont know though, thats why i was asking lol. However im sure i read on a post on pinkbike that avid dont endorse goodridges because it ruins the modulation of hte brake.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015217
Mobile Version of Website