Hardcore Hardtailers group!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Hardcore Hardtailers group!
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
mgolder wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
mgolder wrote:
£80 price difference is not 'similar' in price at all when dealing with items at this price bracket.

I'd go P7, if only for the facts it is cheaper, won't ride any worse than the Stanton and the decals are far classier.
can get an on One 456 for £150 made from same steel as P7 with similar geo.

And your point is what? That £80 is suddenly now not a big difference in price? You can buy 4130 frames that cost a lot and some that cost a little. Oh, and if you think the On-One 456 is even vaguely similar to the P7 in geometry terms then you just basically admitted you are wrong.
ok,let's put it another way,don't you think the p7,which I like is expensive compared to other similar frames,I love steel hardtails,but I'd never drop £550 on the p7,£400 maybe.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 14:18 Quote
All Orange bikes are 'expensive' compared to other bikes. That is nothing new. However, the Stanton is even more expensive still. And considerably so as well. My choice would still be the P7 regardless.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 14:32 Quote
Views: 241    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Nothing major but my P7 on some local jumps...

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
Jonny121 wrote:

Rapid dude

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 15:30 Quote
P7 is a rad frame. Honestly, spending a little extra to get exactly what you want is the best way to go every time.

I honestly felt dropping £399 (sale price) on my Solaris frame was a bit much when my most expensive previous frame was £420 for a Knolly with a CCDB, but it was by far the best decision I ever made to get that frame as it was exactly what I wanted. When you've got exactly what you want in a bike it's so much more satisfying riding that bike. Trust me I went through nearly 30 bikes til I learnt exactly what I want out of my bikes.

Worth every penny...
photo

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 15:43 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
mgolder wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
can get an on One 456 for £150 made from same steel as P7 with similar geo.

And your point is what? That £80 is suddenly now not a big difference in price? You can buy 4130 frames that cost a lot and some that cost a little. Oh, and if you think the On-One 456 is even vaguely similar to the P7 in geometry terms then you just basically admitted you are wrong.
ok,let's put it another way,don't you think the p7,which I like is expensive compared to other similar frames,I love steel hardtails,but I'd never drop £550 on the p7,£400 maybe.

Thanks for the input guys. Didn't mean to start a war though.

The cost is not my #1 concern, as they will both come out at about the same price when finished. I'm using bits off my current bike, that's why it's really between these 2 - the most highly rated frames that I can build up with little or no outlay on new parts.

My main worry is the reach numbers on the frames. I'm more partial to the looks of the Stanton, but the reach number for the 18" long seems very short at 435mm. My current bike has a reach of 468mm, which is a little long for me. The P7 reach for a large is 457mm, which seems like a good compromise.

For reference, the bike before my current one had a reach of 430mm and I felt like I was constantly on the verge of going out the front door.

I know the numbers are not gospel, and that reach is not the be all and end all of geometry, but I don't want to plump for a frame and then regret it because it doesn't feel right to me (I'll already be in enough trouble with the GF after swapping frames so soon after saying "This is the one. I won't need to change bikes again for at least 4 years".)

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
Given where you are, test rides are out of the question! Make a mock-up basic wooden front triangle using your current handlebars .. feel the numbers

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 23:06 Quote
mgolder wrote:
All Orange bikes are 'expensive' compared to other bikes. That is nothing new. However, the Stanton is even more expensive still. And considerably so as well. My choice would still be the P7 regardless.
its good to be in a situation where we have a lot of great Steel hardtails out there,something for everyone.How you find the Deedar?Ive just built one,but unable to ride at moment,dying to try it out.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 23:09 Quote
oldmanfalling wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
mgolder wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. Didn't mean to start a war though.

The cost is not my #1 concern, as they will both come out at about the same price when finished. I'm using bits off my current bike, that's why it's really between these 2 - the most highly rated frames that I can build up with little or no outlay on new parts.

My main worry is the reach numbers on the frames. I'm more partial to the looks of the Stanton, but the reach number for the 18" long seems very short at 435mm. My current bike has a reach of 468mm, which is a little long for me. The P7 reach for a large is 457mm, which seems like a good compromise.

For reference, the bike before my current one had a reach of 430mm and I felt like I was constantly on the verge of going out the front door.

I know the numbers are not gospel, and that reach is not the be all and end all of geometry, but I don't want to plump for a frame and then regret it because it doesn't feel right to me (I'll already be in enough trouble with the GF after swapping frames so soon after saying "This is the one. I won't need to change bikes again for at least 4 years".)
good luck whatever you decide,you won't be disappointed whatever you go for,lots of great bikes about now.Think these forums just show how passionate and informed people about bikes and biking,which isn't a bad thing.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
photo

photo

she does dirty too...

photo

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
You happy riding your bars like that Jimmy? Look 'skyward' to me!

Just saying.. could be pic .. could be comfy

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 12:32 Quote
Umm, pretty standard position really... Confused

20mm riser bar and running a 10mm spacer under the stem. Think it may just look a bit like that in the first photo??

Just replaced the Reverb dropper with a Fox (to match the forks!). Reverb went back under warranty. That's 3 out of 4 Reverbs I've had that are faulty! Fox seems a lot better made. Wish the lever wasn't cable activated though.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 13:03 Quote
jimmygee wrote:

20mm riser bar and running a 10mm spacer under the stem. Think it may just look a bit like that in the first photo??

Just replaced the Reverb dropper with a Fox (to match the forks!). Reverb went back under warranty. That's 3 out of 4 Reverbs I've had that are faulty! Fox seems a lot better made. Wish the lever wasn't cable activated though.

I think he was referring to the angle of your bars. Rocked so far forward that they have no effective backsweep. Would hut the hell out of my wrists but everyone is different.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 15:16 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
jimmygee wrote:

I think he was referring to the angle of your bars. Rocked so far forward that they have no effective backsweep. Would hut the hell out of my wrists but everyone is different.

Yes, that ^

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 at 16:06 Quote
Jonny121 wrote:

Between your PP-Shan and Orange P7, which do you feel is the better jumper?

Do you still own the Holeshot?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019871
Mobile Version of Website