Hardcore Hardtailers group!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Hardcore Hardtailers group!
Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 16:06 Quote
I'm after a new bike, something in the region of £800- £1000 used, 2015 or newer 120-150mm fork, tough and quite playful. 29/27.5+/27.5. Need to be a large and preferably have or be able to take a dropper, single ring as well.
I have been looking at the Whyte 901/905, orange crush, nukeproof scout. Should there be anything else I need to look at? Cheers.

Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
I'm after a new bike, something in the region of £800- £1000 used, 2015 or newer 120-150mm fork, tough and quite playful. 29/27.5+/27.5. Need to be a large and preferably have or be able to take a dropper, single ring as well.
I have been looking at the Whyte 901/905, orange crush, nukeproof scout. Should there be anything else I need to look at? Cheers.

From your bike history, why not spend a bit extra to have a newer Whyte with a semi-decent fork?
Rockshox Revelation or better.

Added bonus of manufacturers warranties on bike.. and dropper - all for just £200 or so extra

Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 4:45 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

From your bike history, why not spend a bit extra to have a newer Whyte with a semi-decent fork?
Rockshox Revelation or better.

Added bonus of manufacturers warranties on bike.. and dropper - all for just £200 or so extra
That is definitely an option, already looked on line and i have a dealer quite close, but will need a few more months to get the money.
Is there any other ones that fit the bill?

Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
May also want to look at OnOne 45650B and Deedar?
New completes for both start around the £1k mark although think you wouldn't get a dropper with them for that.
Both steel too, which you may or may not find comfier than Alu Wink

Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 7:18 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
New completes for both start around the £1k mark although think you wouldn't get a dropper with them for that.

Forgot about the Deedar! Very good call

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 4:05 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
OneBanana wrote:

I've got a deedar and love it

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 4:37 Quote
ads72 wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
OneBanana wrote:

I've got a deedar and love it
Can you compare it to anything? Looking at a whyte 905 and mmmbop both 2017 on eBay going fairly cheap at the minute.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 2:51 Quote
if I drop my hardtail fork from 160 to 150 0will it improve climbing much?

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
Sebc84 wrote:
if I drop my hardtail fork from 160 to 150 0will it improve climbing much?

probably not

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
What fork do you have?
2015 pike

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
This guy modified an X Fusion Vengeance to accept a rockshox u turn assembly: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/x-fusion-vengeance-hlr-coil-can-fork-too-good-801163.html

Now, since some pikes came with a u turn, it should be easier to adapt to your fork. If it's an air fork, you'll need a coil spring and u turn assembly to swap, assuming you can swap air to coil and vice versa like you can on the vengeance.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 17:04 Quote
This guy modified an X Fusion Vengeance to accept a rockshox u turn assembly: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/x-fusion-vengeance-hlr-coil-can-fork-too-good-801163.html

Now, since some pikes came with a u turn, it should be easier to adapt to your fork. If it's an air fork, you'll need a coil spring and u turn assembly to swap, assuming you can swap air to coil and vice versa like you can on the vengeance.

Wouldn't just buying the 150mm air shaft for his Pike be far far simpler?

As for whether it will improve climbing..... Technically, yes. How much? Not very much at all.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 17:54 Quote

Only older pikes (32mm stanchion) came with U-turn, newer pikes either have 2 position or fixed travel. The fixed travel ones can be adjusted internally by swapping out the air spring shaft with the appropriate length.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
Well, it'd have to be a little bit custom then. And mgolder, of course it would be simpler. I mean, duh. I was just offering info on an idea with more adjustment.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014075
Mobile Version of Website