Hardcore Hardtailers group!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Hardcore Hardtailers group!
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
photo
If my current bike could switch between 27.5+ and 29er wheels, and I wanted a lighter wheel set I'd definitely look at 29er options. Not sure what your budget is but I steered away from carbon rims and stuck with Stans Flow ex3 and Chris King hubs.

Other than that it looks like a great bike, just get out and put some miles in on it.

I’ve been out on it quite a lot since I had it finished(ish), even went out without a saddle a couple of times! Haha

I’ve thought about 29 but the trails around here are quite gritty (not in a grippy way) so the 27.5+ tyres work nicely at the minute as they grip the looser stuff quite well. I am thinking about going down to a 2.6 though, maybe DT Swiss rims (currently I’ve got i45 WTB’s on there, which are just unnecessarily heavy)

Any thoughts on brakes? I want something that has a more defined movement. To me, SRAM brakes feel kind of... vague? Maybe?

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
Heywood165 wrote:
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
photo
If my current bike could switch between 27.5+ and 29er wheels, and I wanted a lighter wheel set I'd definitely look at 29er options. Not sure what your budget is but I steered away from carbon rims and stuck with Stans Flow ex3 and Chris King hubs.

Other than that it looks like a great bike, just get out and put some miles in on it.

I’ve been out on it quite a lot since I had it finished(ish), even went out without a saddle a couple of times! Haha

I’ve thought about 29 but the trails around here are quite gritty (not in a grippy way) so the 27.5+ tyres work nicely at the minute as they grip the looser stuff quite well. I am thinking about going down to a 2.6 though, maybe DT Swiss rims (currently I’ve got i45 WTB’s on there, which are just unnecessarily heavy)

Any thoughts on brakes? I want something that has a more defined movement. To me, SRAM brakes feel kind of... vague? Maybe?
Sounds like you would appreciate shimano brakes feel. New xtr if it’s in the budget? I’d also consider one of the lighter weight tire inserts. You’d be able to run lower tire pressures and you would benefit from added damping and overall ride comfort especially in the rear.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
Heywood165 wrote:

Sounds like you would appreciate shimano brakes feel. New xtr if it’s in the budget? I’d also consider one of the lighter weight tire inserts. You’d be able to run lower tire pressures and you would benefit from added damping and overall ride comfort especially in the rear.

Like Cushcore? I’ve never tried it before, but it might be worth doing!

XTR’s are in budget, was also considering Magura’s (either Trail or MT7). How do they compare?

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
I’ve heard Maguras are a good mix between Shimano and SRAM. I’m personally eyeing MT5s.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
Maguras aren't quite as "bitey" or on/off feeling as Shimanos.
Generally Shimano servo wave gives a very solid defined bite point, which you might like given what you're saying.
The Maguras have loads of power and plenty of modulation.
For a hardtail I think MT Trails are probably sufficient power unless you're huge and/or riding somehwere more mountainous than Devon - I'm running them on mine at the mo. Just make sure you go for the Magura HC levers unless you've got massive hands, as the older style "2 finger" Magura lever is a bit large IMO - I switched mine for XTR Race levers before the HCs were so widely available.

Picking up spares in the UK isn't as easy as Shimano, but you can buy cheaply and easily from BikeDiscount etc.
Also just be aware that the 4-piston MT7/MT Trail caliper uses two sets of pads at a time, which gets a little pricy but probably not an issue if you're looking at £300+ brake sets Wink

I just bought Shimano for my new budget build, but for a more spendy build I'd be happy to use either Shimano or Magura probably depending on what the best offer was when I was ready to buy.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
The Level T’s only cost me £40 so I’m not too fussed, but I don’t really want to get something similar. If I’m going to buy something else I’d rather spend a bit more and get something I won’t want to replace in a year’s time.

Yeah Devon isn’t too mountainous, but I do spend a lot of time in Dartmoor which can be a bit tougher and less predictable. I tend to feather my brakes, I don’t really want them to just bite straight away but at the same time I don’t like the way SRAM brakes don’t seem to have any clear bite points. It’s hard to figure out exactly where I’m braking with SRAM.

From what you’ve said it sounds like Magura should fit the bill, maybe Shimano too. Are MT7’s a bit overkill for me? I’m not really into downhill or anything where I need heavy breaking, I need a brake with a really good feel but not necessarily a lot of stopping power so maybe the Trail Sports or MT5’s might fit me well?

Thanks for all the advice! I noticed from your profile that you’re in Devon too, if you ever fancy a buddy to hit Dartmoor or something hit me up, I’m based in Plymouth Smile

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
MT5s are the same as MT7s - slightly less blingy, and uses two large pads rather than four small ones (and you can swap them for the separate style ones the MT7s use anyway) but otherwise performance is identical. Feel, power and modulation is great, but a bit more gentle to bite than Shimanos.
For riding around here I've been super happy with my MT Trails and also XTs.
If you feel you need 4-piston power at the front then the best value brake set at present is probably the MT Trail Sport IMO - £130 gets you the same performance as the pimped version, just without the shiny calipers and with the MT5 style pads in the front rather than the MT7 ones.

A local ride could be good tup
My time is super limited over the summer due to work though, so I'm struggling to manage more than a quick spin around Haldon at the weekend at present. Nonetheless if you're up this way then PM me as you're welcome to test brakes on my rides, particularly if I can try that Santa Cruz in return Wink

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
I’ll let you know! I don’t often visit Exeter but I do occasionally (I’m Plymouth based).

I can get two MT5’s for the same price as the trail set. Would that with a 180/160 rotor mix work nicely too?

And yes, you’re very welcome to try out the Chameleon if we meet up at some point

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
I’ll let you know! I don’t often visit Exeter but I do occasionally (I’m Plymouth based).

I can get two MT5’s for the same price as the trail set. Would that with a 180/160 rotor mix work nicely too?

And yes, you’re very welcome to try out the Chameleon if we meet up at some point

Janner !!!!

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:

Janner !!!!

Well I’m from Sussex, I don’t identify as a Janner (yet) Wink

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:

Have Magura mt5's 7's & XT m8000 (not 4pot)

You will not need the Magura's on your bike, too pricey & weighty for a carbon frame. Just buy XT single pot , save your money and weight. If bling, then even the older xtr (m9000) is very good

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
JosiahGoldsmith wrote:

Janner !!!!

Well I’m from Sussex, I don’t identify as a Janner (yet) Wink

Ha! Be thankful lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:49 Quote
Soupherb wrote:

You will not need the Magura's on your bike, too pricey & weighty for a carbon frame. Just buy XT single pot , save your money and weight. If bling, then even the older xtr (m9000) is very good

Mr Herb largely speaks the truth, but he's overlooked the other key variable: brake size directly correlates with penis size Wink

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Mr Herb largely speaks the truth, but he's overlooked the other key variable: brake size directly correlates with penis size Wink

Carbon gives me a semi

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
Plot twist: that Chameleon is aluminum.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013192
Mobile Version of Website