Clipless

• Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 7:44 Quote
Svard75 wrote:
Teach me obi wan!

Some of the best Jedi Masters were, umm, Jedi Mistresses. the women behind the West Coast Style mountain biking school do some great videos:

https://www.westcoaststyle.net/?p=products

If you don't want to fork out the $$$ for complete DVDs, you can buy specific excerpts for immediate download online. Warning: If you like, the excerpts, you'll end up wanting the complete DVDs. They're great. And yes, they cover flat pedals and clipless pedals in their instruction. Their bottom line is that there is a correct thing to do with your feet for rear wheel control, and even with clipless shoes you should be using the same technique as with platform pedals.

At first it feels weird, but just like learning to ride in the first place, at some point your body does an "Aha!" and you make a breakthrough. I usually ride with flat shoes, but from time to time I'll take cleats when doing non-technical, flowy rides with XC weenies in lycra that like to go fast. The clipless pedal is a more efficient pedal, especially for climbing. But once you figure out how to hop your rear wheel around in a circle, pivoting on your front wheel, using body tension and flat pedals, you will have entered a whole new world of bike control.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 23:44 Quote
Svard75 wrote:
K Teach me obi wan!

Well, padawan, like all important lessons in life, no one can simply teach you. You must learn with practice and patience.

I learned by watching a lot of tutorial videos on youtube before practicing on flat land. A light bike is helpful (your awesome Titus will do!), keep the seat slammed low, and good flat pedals with pins are a must. Cheap plastic pedals double the difficulty. Also a shoe with a soft rubber underside will really allow you to “scoop” the pedals up by the pins. I use cheap skate shoes cause MTB specific shoes are expensive.

Whereas you can just thrust your butt in the air on clips, you actually have to use your whole body and some fluid technique on flats. I think this video explains it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DdkcX5o9w

I agree with raganwald, once you get this dialed it will change the way you ride trails! You'll be taking the high line over stuff your mates will have to slowly roll over! Good luck. tup

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 at 0:50 Quote
Mtn-Bik3r wrote:
Svard75 wrote:
K Teach me obi wan!

Well, padawan, like all important lessons in life, no one can simply teach you. You must learn with practice and patience.

I learned by watching a lot of tutorial videos on youtube before practicing on flat land. A light bike is helpful (your awesome Titus will do!), keep the seat slammed low, and good flat pedals with pins are a must. Cheap plastic pedals double the difficulty. Also a shoe with a soft rubber underside will really allow you to “scoop” the pedals up by the pins. I use cheap skate shoes cause MTB specific shoes are expensive.

Whereas you can just thrust your butt in the air on clips, you actually have to use your whole body and some fluid technique on flats. I think this video explains it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DdkcX5o9w

I agree with raganwald, once you get this dialed it will change the way you ride trails! You'll be taking the high line over stuff your mates will have to slowly roll over! Good luck. tup

my old man was puzzling how my brother and i manage to bunny hoop on flats. nearly fell off watching his continual failed attempts. told him to practice lifting the rear wheel off the ground by itself. its a similar action that you combine with popping the front then bring the rear up level.

good luck

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 at 4:04 Quote
Mtn-Bik3r wrote:
Svard75 wrote:
K Teach me obi wan!

Awesome vid. Thanks. I am able to do the front hop with my flats and have a few times have successfully hopped the rear but it was by twisting on the handlegrips! LMAO! So the turning back of the foot and pushing slightly actually hooks up the pedals to the shoe. Makes sense. I'm such a newb hahaha

Cheers guys!
S

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012789
Mobile Version of Website