Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)
Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:41 Quote
ammosally wrote:
the majority of roadies we have come in are cool... but we aren't a roadie shop... more like a xc shop.... don't get me wrong... we have some real a*shole roadies pop in...
We are a high end road and XC shop in a VERY yuppie entitled neighborhood. They are all pompous douchebags here.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:45 Quote
haha Facepalm
Most roadies here are pretty sound, the great majority also ride DH or XC.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:50 Quote
The Roadie
The Roadie is, in a certain sense, the prototypical cyclist. Road racing is certainly not the oldest form of competitive cycling, but it does have a long history and it is by far the most popular competitive discipline. After all, even people who can't tell a road bike from a mountain bike have heard of the Tour de France. The drop bars, the jersey with rear pockets, the tight shorts and the diminutive brimmed cycling cap together embody the cyclist in the popular imagination.

Because road cycling is steeped in tradition (and occasionally garnished with attitude), every single aspect of road cycling – from clothing choice to equipment choice to hand signals to which way to pull off the front of a paceline – is governed by rules. And like all rules, some of them have evolved out of necessity, and some of them are simply tradition for tradition's sake.

The negative view of the Roadie is that he or she is fastidious, snotty and aloof. On the other hand, the romantic view is that Roadies are the toughest of all cyclists and that their careful preparation and studied appearance is a natural expression of this mental and physical toughness. But there's a deeper truth. Beneath all the training and suffering and Lycra and embrocations, the fact is that all Roadies are freeloading cheats. I'm not talking about doping. No, Roadies are freeloading cheats because the true essence of road cycling is the conservation of energy. Naturally, the only way a bicycle is going to move is if a person puts energy into it and they do what they can to make their bodies strong, but there the effort ends. Beyond this, everything else is based on not making an effort. It's based on making things as light and aerodynamic as possible; it's based on slipstreaming behind other riders for as long as possible and it's about expending as little effort as effectively as possible.

And the Roadie's freeloading ways extend to life off the bike as well. Anybody who's spent any time in bike shops knows the Roadie is the worst kind of product-grubbing discount hunter there is. They have no loyalty to their shop; if they can find it online for £2 less, they'll buy it there. Yet they'll spend £1,000 on a wheel set if they think it might give them an edge, and if you lend them the money for it don't expect to get it back. Roadies are the junkies of the cycling world; they're skinny and untrustworthy, and they'll do whatever they need to in order to keep their habit going. The Roadie's life is full of disappointed people – spouses, friends, family – all of whom have involuntarily funded their depraved lifestyle in one way or another.

Why other cyclists don't like them: They don't appear to enjoy what they're doing and they don't appear to know you exist.

Compatibility with other cyclists: Have been seen at mountain-bike races, but are largely compatible only with their own kind.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
amando96 wrote:
haha Facepalm
Most roadies here are pretty sound, the great majority also ride DH or XC.
Ontario is weird, they all have a sense of entitlement here.

Specialized made a good point: Normally their road sales in Canada are about 60% Roubaix (relaxed geo race bike), and 30% Tarmac (bling-bling race bike) and 10% other. Here in Ontario it is the other way around.... 60% Tarmac, 30% Roubaix. I asked myself why. It's because everybody here is a poser and buys their bike as a status symbol. They don't race, they just lean on it to look cool. Same with our XC program. All these yuppie clowns buying carbon XC bikes that will just be leaned on. None of them can take serious abuse or dropping and they always come in for tune-ups still looking brand new. Ontario is full of posers.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
Reck--- Where you going to work???

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:52 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
The Roadie

None of that applies to me. Wink

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
ammosally wrote:
Reck--- Where you going to work???
Leaving yuppie scumbag shop and going back to my LBS for the summer. Such a better vibe and I can use my brain-fu on people and turn wrenches. The current shop wreaks of retail. EW.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:54 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
The Roadie

I going to keep posting bits from that whole article,as it is just so good

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:55 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
kinetic-uk wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
The Roadie

I going to keep posting bits from that whole article,as it is just so good
I read every word of that and will continue to do so.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:57 Quote
On the bright side, they keep the industry going Smile

this pic explains all that:

couldn't find pic, that guy racing on a cheap bike with reflectors whilst wearing flip flops got 3rd place against dudes on 4grand XC rigs.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:58 Quote
recklessness wrote:

here is the whole thing (not that you wont see it again

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
recklessness wrote:

What about us Downhill folks?? i don't think we are compadible with anyone.... sometimes not even ourselves....

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
ammosally wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
recklessness wrote:

What about us Downhill folks?? i don't think we are compadible with anyone.... sometimes not even ourselves....
There were a lot of groups left out of that.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
recklessness wrote:
ammosally wrote:

There were a lot of groups left out of that.

Might write my own extension too it, but would probably just offend everyone

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.102596
Mobile Version of Website