Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Bike update:

Still waiting for it to be signed off...CRC have the next model up which has 140mm rear travel and 140mm front suspension AND A DROPPER, for £1160...Going to see if there’s any give in the cap and try and get that one...

£160 more than the 130mm rear travel, 130mm front travel, non dropper model I’ve opted for as it fits within the £1k cap coming in at £999.99...

If not possible, and cheaper recommendations than the £119.99 brand x dropper crc have?

That brand X is the cheapest you'll find

Would be good if you could upgrade to the next one up, but I imagine it's going to be a firm limit

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
May try and see if CRC can help at all (Well, Wiggle) Possibly pay them the £160, they create me a unique quote code to provide to employers. They generate a code but it’s usually a generic one at the set amount, just food for thought, would save me a bit in the long run, don’t think I fancy doing too many upgrades to the standard model when I’ll always be limited by the 130mm rear travel. (However, technology may have come a bit of a way...Is 130mm rear travel still rather limiting?)

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 14:57 Quote
tom666 wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
Bike update:

Still waiting for it to be signed off...CRC have the next model up which has 140mm rear travel and 140mm front suspension AND A DROPPER, for £1160...Going to see if there’s any give in the cap and try and get that one...

£160 more than the 130mm rear travel, 130mm front travel, non dropper model I’ve opted for as it fits within the £1k cap coming in at £999.99...

If not possible, and cheaper recommendations than the £119.99 brand x dropper crc have?

That brand X is the cheapest you'll find

Would be good if you could upgrade to the next one up, but I imagine it's going to be a firm limit

RSP plummet is about £90 but the lever is wank, like the old KS ones

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Ah fair, you stuck at it for a while! Shame to stop, I’ll check it out man.

So, not biking anymore? What happened to the roadie you built?.

Nope, I quit in 2012 just after Lorna (Stealth-Mistress) left me and sold my roadie/single speed bike, then quit as a mod not long after. I guess the novelty wore off in the end.

Same as console gaming. I outgrew it. I bought an Xbox 360 last year but haven;t played on it in a few months.

I lurk Pinkbike every so often just to catch up on things, but I doubt I'll bike again.

Good to see some old faces in here, and hope everyone is well , including yourself, Luke.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
I lurk Pinkbike every so often just to catch up on things, but I doubt I'll bike again.

That's a shame man - cycling is such a good escape from normal life - a great way to clear the mind.

As well as being an enjoyable activity it gets you out the house, breathing fresh air and in nature. It blows off that mental fog.

Stretches of my life where I haven't cycled as much - such as my final year at uni - it's definitely had a negative effect. If you can pick it back up I think you should!

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 5:34 Quote
For real, being outdoors on a bike does wonders for mental and physical health. Can't beat it!

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 10:17 Quote
I've been thinking about getting another bike but I don't want to get one then not ride it.

I might get another XC bike and do long rides again. I like road bikes too, but I'd prefer an XC bike again so I can ride through the countryside.

I go for walks these days into the town centre and I like walking, but I kinda miss biking too.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
XC bike is ideal! Gets you fresh air, exercise and out in nature.

Even though I consider myself an enduro guy, a lot of the rides I do are just chill trail rides that you could do on an XC hardtail

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
Agreed Tom. I looked online earlier and am keen on another GT Aggressor/Avalanche. I've always loved GT's.

If I decide to buy another XC bike I'll be sure to upload pics and let you all know. There's a lot of countryside where I live so I can go for long rides on dirt tracks and country roads like I used to do.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
That would be rad!

BTW, thanks kinny for those bike security related posts and blogs you used to put up. I read those years ago and the advice has been super solid.

I bought 2 good d-locks (a Kryptonite New York and a cheaper Kryptonite) when I was about 18 and both are still going strong 5 years later.

In 4 years of uni I didn't have a bike stolen, even with quite high value bikes, while a lot of friends did have bikes stolen. I put it down to having good locks and following your protocols!

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
Anytime dude. I'm glad you looked at my bike security thread and took note. I was always on this site to help people with various topics, and I'm glad people took note.

I had a Kryptonite lock for my bike, but the lock nearly jammed twice so I bought an Almax chain in the end with a padlock as I was scared of my Kryptonite lock jamming on me. The only problem with it was it was too heavy but I trusted it.

You can't go wrong with Kryptonite locks though. They're very decent locks.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
So I bought a New York Mini and that has been flawless. Thing is so damn thick and solid and well made.

The cheaper one I bought I actually had issues with (and I wished I just paid up and bought another new york) but they replaced it on warranty in the end and the replacement has been really good.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
Bike update:

Still waiting to hear back. Sent bike to HR two weeks ago today...

On a separate note, went into cliffpratt (giant reseller) and fell in love with a 2020 Giant Reign 2 in titanium...if I don’t hear back from my work within a week or so, I’m going to see about financing one of those. Would rather do it through the scheme, but it’s taking some time...

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Bike update:

Still waiting to hear back. Sent bike to HR two weeks ago today...

On a separate note, went into cliffpratt (giant reseller) and fell in love with a 2020 Giant Reign 2 in titanium...if I don’t hear back from my work within a week or so, I’m going to see about financing one of those. Would rather do it through the scheme, but it’s taking some time...

If you're going to spend as much as that there's loads of good options to look at. Don't plump for the Giant just because it's the first you've seen.

It's a good bike, don't get me wrong, but there's tonnes of bikes around for that kind of money! Also 160/170mm travel is a lot - that's a big bike. Are you sure you want such a big bike and wouldn't prefer something 130-150ish?

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
In the same ballpark as a 2020 Reign 2:

Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 (160mm, Carbon frame £2800)

YT Jeffsy Comp (27.5 or 29 versions, 150-160mm, Carbon frame £2700)

Commencal Meta AM (160-170mm, Alu frame and really good spec for £2500)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.068831
Mobile Version of Website