Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Dawn Till Dusk (OVER 9000 PAGES!!!)
Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
argh i'm so poor.

I want a few hobbies instead of a 5k bike nowadays. Sold my hightower- so I think i'm grabbing of grabbing new skis and an older alloy Process.

They were miles ahead of their time anyway. Decent shock and it'll shred. Raw the frame and i'll love the aesthetic.

win win

Ooft, I'll come skiing with ya. Scotland is getting some good conditions atm.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Bike prices seem crazy to me in general now.

I’ve got my giant Talon 3 coming soon whenever it gets confirmed for delivery so I can get fitness up and just some light trails, but I’ve been pricing up an enduro to get on, Best cheapest to decent ratio I can find is the YT Capra Comp, but I’ve got a few priorities before I even look at that...

Nearly had a heart attack pricing up a custom build.

Frames starting at £2-£3k...Those used to be dream DH Prices!

The capra is an absolute beast, I'm on an aluminium jeffsy and it's already a lot of bike going down but still climbs like a mountain goat.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
tom666 wrote:

The lack of women in mtb isn't ideal for sure. I don't know how much it will ever improve though - girls I have shown mountain bike videos to in the past aren't even remotely interested.

Male Climbers do tend to have all their teeth? Maybe that’s a factor?

I find there isn't even a mountain biker look - it's everyone from a student to a van life hippie, to a dentist, to an IT director.

YT, Canyon and Commencal put out the best value bikes sub £3k. There's a few other brands that put out decent value cheaper bikes but they don't have as good street cred or resale value.

Jeffsy and Capra are hard to beat.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
Bike prices seem crazy to me in general now.

I’ve got my giant Talon 3 coming soon whenever it gets confirmed for delivery so I can get fitness up and just some light trails, but I’ve been pricing up an enduro to get on, Best cheapest to decent ratio I can find is the YT Capra Comp, but I’ve got a few priorities before I even look at that...

Nearly had a heart attack pricing up a custom build.

Frames starting at £2-£3k...Those used to be dream DH Prices!

The capra is an absolute beast, I'm on an aluminium jeffsy and it's already a lot of bike going down but still climbs like a mountain goat.

Capra is the plan. For the spec and the price (Aside from the E13 bits) I can’t not. BUT with the priorities I have at the moment, I can’t see it being this side of summer unfortunately, which is a bummer, because I really wanted to get back into proper biking this Summer.

Never know, may be able to think of an excuse.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
The E13 stuff isn't even that bad in my experience. I think how bad it is is exaggerated for a few reasons.

E13 parts turn up on a lot of high value, sub £3k completes, particularly YTs. I think it's likely a large number of the people that buy ~ the cheapest enduro bikes on the market ~ fall into the categories of either "beginner" or "cheapskate". I believe both beginners and cheapskates are likely to be somewhat neglectful and perhaps inadvertently abusive of their bikes. (btw I say this as somebody who used to own a YT - I place myself firmly in the "cheapskate" category).

For the most part E13 parts are also not replacing high end parts on builds - they're clearly budget OEM parts to help get a complete out the door for a good price. They're replacing perhaps cheap DT swiss or WTB wheels. Raceface aefect is probably the same tier for bars, stems and cranks - or a lot of company's own brand stuff. I think when you realise that's what you're meant to be comparing it to, it's what you would expect.

I also think a lot of miserable, defeated people rock up at bike shops with a YT with broken E13 parts (probably because they're complete hacks) and bike shops take enormous joy in pointing out how the direct sales bike has broken. They can't yell loud enough how crap direct sales is and if only they spend £4k in the shop instead of £2.7k online their wheel wouldn't have bent.

So if you consider
1) it's cheap
2) it's used by a lot of hacks
3) lot of people have interest in pointing out how bad it is

Not surprising it gets a bad rep, but it's probably not that bad.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 14:09 Quote
Guys,

Does this https://www.startfitness.co.uk/rockshox-boxxer-team-dh-bike-build-kit-rsbtdhbk.html

Look too good to be true? Does to me but I’ve been out for a while,

A mate of mine just sent me a link asking my thoughts, he’s rebuilding a Dh bike and found this kit. From what I’ve seen, those forks retail for that alone...Are they old spec or something? Can anyone help?

Seen the same kit on eBay but not offered anywhere else.

Apologies for the non clicks link, wouldn’t let me hyperlink it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 14:19 Quote
tom666 wrote:
The E13 stuff isn't even that bad in my experience. I think how bad it is is exaggerated for a few reasons.

E13 parts turn up on a lot of high value, sub £3k completes, particularly YTs. I think it's likely a large number of the people that buy ~ the cheapest enduro bikes on the market fall into the categories of either "beginner" or "cheapskate". I believe both beginners and cheapskates are likely to be somewhat neglectful and perhaps inadvertently abusive of their bikes. (btw I say this as somebody who used to own a YT - I place myself firmly in the "cheapskate" category).

*Snip*

The world has gone mad when spending £3k on a bike is classed as being a cheapskate lol

Joking aside, I’ve not seen many good experiences with E13 kit, but I think I’ve got some friends a bit like
Yours, ran the bikes into the ground as opposed to maintaining
Them.

Also, speaking of bike hackiness, went into lbs the other day when I went to look at the Giant I’m getting, got onto discussion of enduro/trail bikes, mechanic shows me his cube stereo, think it’s the 150(?) he was making some adjustments as he’d just got it and tightened the stem until he went red. To the point he slipped with the key. I thought everywhere used torque wrenches for that now. Guess not. Don’t think I’ll be getting them to service anything... lol

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Guys,

Does this https://www.startfitness.co.uk/rockshox-boxxer-team-dh-bike-build-kit-rsbtdhbk.html

Look too good to be true? Does to me but I’ve been out for a while,

A mate of mine just sent me a link asking my thoughts, he’s rebuilding a Dh bike and found this kit. From what I’ve seen, those forks retail for that alone...Are they old spec or something? Can anyone help?

Seen the same kit on eBay but not offered anywhere else.

Apologies for the non clicks link, wouldn’t let me hyperlink it.

Start fitness are a legit shop based in Newcastle if it helps. Been in numerous times and also know someone who works there

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 23:38 Quote
Sound cheers, I’ll let him know the shops Atleast legit.

Can anyone gauge the year of anything? Could be a kit from 2012 for all I know...

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 2:40 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
tom666 wrote:

E13 parts turn up on a lot of high value, sub £3k completes, particularly YTs. I think it's likely a large number of the people that buy ~ the cheapest enduro bikes on the market fall into the categories of either "beginner" or "cheapskate". I believe both beginners and cheapskates are likely to be somewhat neglectful and perhaps inadvertently abusive of their bikes. (btw I say this as somebody who used to own a YT - I place myself firmly in the "cheapskate" category).

*Snip*

The world has gone mad when spending £3k on a bike is classed as being a cheapskate lol

Joking aside, I’ve not seen many good experiences with E13 kit, but I think I’ve got some friends a bit like
Them.

Also, speaking of bike hackiness, went into lbs the other day when I went to look at the Giant I’m getting, got onto discussion of enduro/trail bikes, mechanic shows me his cube stereo, think it’s the 150(?) he was making some adjustments as he’d just got it and tightened the stem until he went red. To the point he slipped with the key. I thought everywhere used torque wrenches for that now. Guess not. Don’t think I’ll be getting them to service anything... lol

Calibrated arm! No need for torque wrenches

Does anyone know the torque spec for a stem bolt off the top of their head? M6 is normally only a few Nm but that doesn’t seem like it would supply sufficient clamping force?

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 2:43 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Sound cheers, I’ll let him know the shops Atleast legit.

Can anyone gauge the year of anything? Could be a kit from 2012 for all I know...

It comes with Guide RE brakes which were launched 2017 I believe. It looks like it's an OE kit that was bought complete from Sram - so presumably the rest of the stuff is from around the same time.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
tom666 wrote:

*Snip*

Them.

Calibrated arm! No need for torque wrenches

Does anyone know the torque spec for a stem bolt off the top of their head? M6 is normally only a few Nm but that doesn’t seem like it would supply sufficient clamping force?

It's something like 5NM for my renthal stem but tbh I tighten it a bit more than that, so long as it's an alloy bar. I actually had a pretty bad crash as a result of a carbon bar slipping in the stem and so now I like to make sure.

Should check what your stem manufacturer recommends.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
How are we all?

My Friday night:

Almost bought a brand new Octane One Zircus frame for a great price.

Looked up DJ builds and got into the mind frame of being the kid again that wanted the nice jump bike. Remembered all the fun on skatepark and dirt jumps.

Looked up parts.

Realised 26” is dead.

Decided not to order frame, still waiting on my giant to get delivered, so now checking out upgrades for a bit...

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
Got a octane one zircus myself

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
I've got an octane one void

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025889
Mobile Version of Website