Being scammed over Paypal (Read 1st post)

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Being scammed over Paypal (Read 1st post)
Posted: Apr 3, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
A guy PMed me about my Enduro. Asked lots of question about the bike. Then said he would send money to my account and asked for my Paypal name. About 2 hours later the money did show up but when I read the note on it, it was for a large carbon enduro. Mine is a med. aluminum so I knew there was an issue. The guy went dark on my which was weird since money had been put in my account. upon digging deeper I saw they name from Paypal buyer was different and so was the shipping address. I contacted the person who had sent the money. he thought he was buying a large carbon and sent the money as the other guy had given him my information for payment. We were able to contact Paypal and get his money refunded and I still have my bike. If I wouldn't have checked.. the bike would have been sent to Los Angeles and I would have $2300 but the the guy who sent me money would have no bike and no money. BE AWARE OF THE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!! I took my bike off pinkbike. Rather sell in person than deal with the scammers.

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 21:04 Quote
Just want to post and get some advice as it's my first time selling on PB and it's an expensive bike for me and rather not lose it. The user is nlr22 which he has nothing on his account. He says to have bought a bike from someone previously on PB and had it shipped in the US.

He sent me 4 brief pm's asking about the bike and if I'm able to ship to NJ.

My concern came up when after receiving the amount, it is on hold by PayPal until I provide a shipping label. But the location is to an overseas shipping company. He did provide me with a number which I tried to call and received no answer and "this call has been forwarded to an automated call CENTER" not a system which never mentioned the phone number I called. He did call me back and talk to me about. He said it would be then sent onto Bermuda where he lives.

Sorry for the long, but my concerns are with the fact that I don't know what the shipping company does but I worried that it wouldn't be signed for and therefore disputable by him. Also, he never seemed to try to rush me along but it was very brief and just seemed ready to pay as soon as possible.
Just want to get thoughts on it and see if it's being more paranoid

Thanks

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 23:17 Quote
jyallop wrote:
Just want to post and get some advice as it's my first time selling on PB and it's an expensive bike for me and rather not lose it. The user is nlr22 which he has nothing on his account. He says to have bought a bike from someone previously on PB and had it shipped in the US.

My concern came up when after receiving the amount, it is on hold by PayPal until I provide a shipping label. But the location is to an overseas shipping company. He did provide me with a number which I tried to call and received no answer and "this call has been forwarded to an automated call CENTER" not a system which never mentioned the phone number I called. He did call me back and talk to me about. He said it would be then sent onto Bermuda where he lives.

Sorry for the long, but my concerns are with the fact that I don't know what the shipping company does but I worried that it wouldn't be signed for and therefore disputable by him. Also, he never seemed to try to rush me along but it was very brief and just seemed ready to pay as soon as possible.

Thanks

Without hearing both sides to the story, it's kinda hard to make a judgment call, But, why didn't he say in the beginning that the bike would go to Bermuda, which by the way, has no laws there, should you need any recourse. If you intend to go through with this deal, make dam sure that he has seen Detailed pic's of your bike, and a e-mail, not a pm to verify that he has agreed to the condition of said bike, and that all sales are Final, and NO refunds. Get those details in an e-mail, just in case he decides to say you mislead him. and he wants either a full, or partial refund. Personally, I'd wait for a state side buyer, and terminate the pending sale. I've bought several items here on PB, sold a couple and have bought and sold via online for the past 17 years or so, been burnt once, just once..Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 23:34 Quote
jyallop wrote:

Thanks

Don't do it

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 0:09 Quote
Sellers beware latest Paypal Scam, are you aware a buyer can put a claim in to get a full refund on a used bike part two months down line, sold a frame in June, buyer now says he has found a dent in it 2 months on and Paypal are backing him for a refund. Stick Paypal where the sun doesnt shine.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 12:31 Quote
First time buyer here. It would appear in the "'tips and advice" page that it's recommended to confirm receipt of an item to allow release of funds from Paypal AFTER it's been shipped,received, and inspected for damage, errors in description, pics, etc etc.

Is this what most folks are doing? Thanks

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 17:04 Quote
motofox250 wrote:
Sellers beware latest Paypal Scam, are you aware a buyer can put a claim in to get a full refund on a used bike part two months down line, sold a frame in June, buyer now says he has found a dent in it 2 months on and Paypal are backing him for a refund. Stick Paypal where the sun doesnt shine.

Happened to me with some sneakers a few years ago

Posted: Oct 19, 2018 at 22:02 Quote
motofox250 wrote:

It used to be 45 days limit, now it's 180 days they can dispute it. 6 full months where anything can happen. Another scam is they go to their bank and cancel the payment as unauthorized payment. Paypal didnt side with me, out $2800 and a bike. Paypal is brutal now.

Posted: Oct 19, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
motofox250 wrote:

It used to be 45 days limit, now it's 180 days they can dispute it. 6 full months where anything can happen. Another scam is they go to their bank and cancel the payment as unauthorized payment. Paypal didnt side with me, out $2800 and a bike. Paypal is brutal now.

There should be a 7 day period for a refund, and only then IF the buyer can with out a doubt show cause. This is just one more reason to Everything in Detail documented, e-mails, pic's, ect. There are scumbags out there on both sides, taking advantage of folks. There is no fool proof way to to either buy or sell, you just have to do everything you can to protect yourselves..Thieves suck.

Posted: Oct 20, 2018 at 8:06 Quote
I did too, I had the transcript from Kijiji in my emails, pictures, screenshots of phone call logs, screenshot of the ad he posted trying to sell my bike after getting his money back, plus he used my pictures to boot. Still didn't side with me. Paypal also says they are fighting the bank now, but have little faith in that, that also takes up to 75 days.

I still got a chance to get it back since I have his address and such but it's been 3 months, probably not in the same condition I sold it to him as.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 20:22 Quote
potter91 wrote:
A guy PMed me about my Enduro. Asked lots of question about the bike. Then said he would send money to my account and asked for my Paypal name. About 2 hours later the money did show up but when I read the note on it, it was for a large carbon enduro. Mine is a med. aluminum so I knew there was an issue. The guy went dark on my which was weird since money had been put in my account. upon digging deeper I saw they name from Paypal buyer was different and so was the shipping address. I contacted the person who had sent the money. he thought he was buying a large carbon and sent the money as the other guy had given him my information for payment. We were able to contact Paypal and get his money refunded and I still have my bike. If I wouldn't have checked.. the bike would have been sent to Los Angeles and I would have $2300 but the the guy who sent me money would have no bike and no money. BE AWARE OF THE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!! I took my bike off pinkbike. Rather sell in person than deal with the scammers.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 20:23 Quote
Cash on collection only safe way too many thieves out there now especially from eastern europe at moment

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 18:41 Quote
I just had someone offer to buy my bike and pay with PayPal. I received an email from PayPal stating the money had been transferred. It included extra money for shipping and Western Union charges. It also said I had to pay the shipper through Western Union ahead of time before they would release the money to my account. I looked it up on PayPal's site and it's right on their site as one of the classic scams. I also called them and was told they don't deal with Western Union and the only emails sent are to confirm an actual payment. Mother f*cker. At least I'm not witing about how I got f*cked. It just didn't smell right and this dude wouldn't answer any questions about himself or his location.

Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 22:41 Quote
TJRInc wrote:
I just had someone offer to buy my bike and pay with PayPal. I received an email from PayPal stating the money had been transferred. It included extra money for shipping and Western Union charges. It also said I had to pay the shipper through Western Union ahead of time before they would release the money to my account. I looked it up on PayPal's site and it's right on their site as one of the classic scams. I also called them and was told they don't deal with Western Union and the only emails sent are to confirm an actual payment. Mother f*cker. At least I'm not witing about how I got f*cked. It just didn't smell right and this dude wouldn't answer any questions about himself or his location.
Who was it ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009081
Mobile Version of Website