My fork is stuck in my headset

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
My fork is stuck in my headset
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 13:42 Quote
Hey guys. Just recently after riding, my forks locked up inside my steer tube. After moving them back and forth a few times, they started moving again, but it sounded like there was some kind of dirt in my headset. When I got home, I went to take my steer tube out, and clean out my cups, when I noticed that my fork was stuck in my headset. I have no idea what would be causing it, and any help would be needed. It comes to the point where I can't even remove the bearing cap and the dust cap. PLEASE HELP ME!

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 13:53 Quote
mallet(enforcer)

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
piece of wood and a hammer, job done Big Grin

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 14:03 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:
piece of wood and a hammer, job done Big Grin

already tried that, didn't work

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
lift up the front of the bike and hit the steerer with the mallet or hammer/wood
justs keep on hitting and it will come off.
You have taken the top cap and stem off right ?

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 14:06 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:
lift up the front of the bike and hit the steerer with the mallet or hammer/wood
justs keep on hitting and it will come off.
You have taken the top cap and stem off right ?

yeah, i have the stem and off, so that the bearing cap is exposed, i cant even get that off, and i've beaten away at it with a piece of wood and a hammer and still nothing

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 14:08 Quote
have you taken of the topcap though ? (thing with bolt in the middle on top )

i assume you have, if you have just keep on hitting it until it comes out

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 15:51 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:
have you taken of the topcap though ? (thing with bolt in the middle on top )

i assume you have, if you have just keep on hitting it until it comes out

i`d wrather do as little damage as possible, I`m debating on just bringing it into a lbs

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 16:15 Quote
Sure you havent got one of those lockrings or whatever theyre called? You'll need to knock your forks back UP into the steerer tube to get it out. Its to stop the forks just falling out, like a little ring not metal thats at the top of the headset. Could be that thats stopping them from coming out. Google lockring removal or something, It might not be called lockring though.

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 16:49 Quote
CharlieS43 wrote:
Sure you havent got one of those lockrings or whatever theyre called? You'll need to knock your forks back UP into the steerer tube to get it out. Its to stop the forks just falling out, like a little ring not metal thats at the top of the headset. Could be that thats stopping them from coming out. Google lockring removal or something, It might not be called lockring though.

what he said^ its like a washer that expands and locks, i use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer in the gap to pop it up.

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 17:01 Quote
connor-H wrote:
CharlieS43 wrote:

what he said^ its like a washer that expands and locks, i use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer in the gap to pop it up.

I am so stupid for not thinking of that. *face palm*

Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 0:46 Quote
Knock the steerer tube from the side, not downwards. Works most of the time.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 22:54 Quote
crankshaft wrote:
Knock the steerer tube from the side, not downwards. Works most of the time.

Dude I hammered the top 5 times, walked around hammered 5 more times, etc... Hammered twice from the side and it slid out like butter. THANK YOU!

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
I like to grease this wedge ring to make sure this doesn't happen, but wipe the extra with alcohol so your stem clamps to steerer.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013163
Mobile Version of Website