Ti coil for DHX RC4

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Ti coil for DHX RC4
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 21:55 Quote
Can you tell me what brand (RCS, Optanium, DSP) that will fit my fox RC4?

Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 22:02 Quote
try this. http://www.diverse-mfg.com/mtb/titaniummtbshockspring.html

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 14:46 Quote
i too am looking for one for my sx trail.
anyone recomond a pimp looking one?
heared obtanium are one of the big guys in this game?

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
I've been happy with my Diverse Ti Springs on my 2 RC4s and DHX. They came in lighter than claimed (see my weight album). I will admit that the Obtainium ones look a little blingier though.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 16:42 Quote
I order a Diverse yesterdey and tell you what I think of it when I get it all assemble

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 22:50 Quote
I'm also looking to get myself a Ti spring for the RC4
Did some investigation online and basically that only added to my confusion about which ones would fit and which ones wouldn't. Obtanium looks great, but it looks like you need adapters for it. And they also say you need to remove the blue knob to prevent rubbing.
Pipes, can you confirm there is no rubbing on the piggyback with the Diverse on your RC4?

Also another question: My RC4 is 8.75x2.75, currently running with a 450x2.80 stock Fox spring.
I want to go a little softer, so a 400 would be fine for me. Should I take the 400x2.75 or 400x3.0? What would be the difference?

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 2:32 Quote
custersroel wrote:
I'm also looking to get myself a Ti spring for the RC4
Did some investigation online and basically that only added to my confusion about which ones would fit and which ones wouldn't. Obtanium looks great, but it looks like you need adapters for it. And they also say you need to remove the blue knob to prevent rubbing.
Pipes, can you confirm there is no rubbing on the piggyback with the Diverse on your RC4?

Also another question: My RC4 is 8.75x2.75, currently running with a 450x2.80 stock Fox spring.
I want to go a little softer, so a 400 would be fine for me. Should I take the 400x2.75 or 400x3.0? What would be the difference?

No rubbing whatsoever on either RC4. As for your spring sizing question, both should fit but go for the 2.75". The 3" will just add uneeded weight and the extra length can add to the chance of it rubbing.

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 5:24 Quote
[Quote="custersroel"]I'm also looking to get myself a Ti spring for the RC4

Since I install my Diverse Ti Springs, I had no rubbing at all with the RC4 blue knob. I had a RCS before on a DHX 5 and it did rub on the blue knob.

Personaly, I think that diverse is the way to go.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 6:30 Quote
shockwave wrote:
Since I install my Diverse Ti Springs, I had no rubbing at all with the RC4 blue knob. I had a RCS before on a DHX 5 and it did rub on the blue knob.

Personaly, I think that diverse is the way to go.
Weird, since RCS has Fox DHX specific springs. I would assume those would be a perfect fit....

Anyway, DSP seems to be the best option, and also cheaper then RCS.
I've read there is a little play if you install it on a Fox, since the inner diameter is slightly bigger then the spring. Anyone who has some experience with this? According to what I've read it can easily be solved by using an o-ring in between.

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 6:54 Quote
Anyway, DSP seems to be the best option, and also cheaper then RCS.
I've read there is a little play if you install it on a Fox, since the inner diameter is slightly bigger then the spring. Anyone who has some experience with this? According to what I've read it can easily be solved by using an o-ring in between.[/Quote]

Yes there is a little play. I had some play With the RCS and it is the same with the DSP.

How do you do the o-ring modification?

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 18:42 Quote
shockwave wrote:
Yes there is a little play. I had some play With the RCS and it is the same with the DSP.

How do you do the o-ring modification?

According to this article you can just slide an O-ring on the collar to eliminate the play

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 4:54 Quote
Hmm, did some more searching and found this:

DSP spring inner diameter = 1.43 inch
RCS spring (Fox DHX specific ones) inner diameter = 1.38 inch
RCS spring (standard ones) inner diameter = 1.43 inch

Seems like people reporting play with the RCS springs have the standard ones instead of the DHX specific ones. Perhaps the reported rubbing is also only present with the standard RCS?
In such case might be interesting to go for RCS (DHX specific) after all, if that really secures a tight fit...

I asked both brands for the outer diameter of the 2.75 x 400 springs, let's see who wins Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 at 6:35 Quote
custersroel wrote:
Hmm, did some more searching and found this:

DSP spring inner diameter = 1.43 inch
RCS spring (Fox DHX specific ones) inner diameter = 1.38 inch
RCS spring (standard ones) inner diameter = 1.43 inch

Seems like people reporting play with the RCS springs have the standard ones instead of the DHX specific ones. Perhaps the reported rubbing is also only present with the standard RCS?
In such case might be interesting to go for RCS (DHX specific) after all, if that really secures a tight fit...

I asked both brands for the outer diameter of the 2.75 x 400 springs, let's see who wins Smile

Did you finally purchase a Ti coil, I am interested in your results. I myself have two DSP titanium coils for my RC4 i didnt ride the bike yet but sure can tell you the Coil is very close to the reservoir.

As for the play you can easily fix that with a spacer or o-ring Big Grin

Let me know

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
Been using both a Nukeproof Ti spring and a Diverse Ti spring on my RC4. What I´ve found out is that the nukeproof spring rubs on the blue bottom-out adjuster knob, but just by a tiny little bit. The Diverse spring doesnt rub, I put a little patch of bike-cover on the adjuster knob just in case but havent seen any sign of rubbing on it.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 17:14 Quote
limitedpelle wrote:
Been using both a Nukeproof Ti spring and a Diverse Ti spring on my RC4. What I´ve found out is that the nukeproof spring rubs on the blue bottom-out adjuster knob, but just by a tiny little bit. The Diverse spring doesnt rub, I put a little patch of bike-cover on the adjuster knob just in case but havent seen any sign of rubbing on it.

Thanks a lot man. What is the Spring weight your using by curiosity ?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009455
Mobile Version of Website