Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion
Author Message
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 23:24 Quote
gabodude wrote:
This is how all the new VPP bikes aren't VPP anymore:

The patent hinges on two major points:

1- The system has two counter-rotating links. One spins clockwise, the other counter-clockwise. As opposed to Maestro/DW/etc, who's links both spin the same way.

2- (This is the important one) The design needs to be configured in a way that creates an S-shaped axle curve, with the early stroke being closer to the BB, effectively shortening the chainstay length only to curve away towards the end-stroke.
For VPP to work, sag needs to be set in that magic spot closest to the BB. Pedal input pulls the wheel back to that sweet spot, effectively stiffening the suspension under load, and reducing pedal-bob.

Anyone who has tried an old Outland VPP (the first bike with VPP, back in the 90's) knows that any long travel, true VPP bike rides like crap. It's an excellent design for XC, but there's way too much pedal feedback and weirdness for any longtravel application.

Most modern "VPP" bikes have a mellowed-down axle plath to make them more neutral and handle more like your typical multilink design. The axle path is almost linear. They just ride the VPP train as it provides a distinct identity and serves as an anchor for their product's marketing.

You dig?

That's a great bit of info. Where'd you find it?

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 15:44 Quote
Think the patent was more about counter rotating links, given no SC bikes have had said S-bend in over a decade, but were still labeled VPP. Wheel path or not, there were no counter rotating link bikes in the States until very recently, when the patent came up. See; Diamondback.

Again, almost like it's marketing moreso than anything else.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Think the patent was more about counter rotating links, given no SC bikes have had said S-bend in over a decade, but were still labeled VPP. Wheel path or not, there were no counter rotating link bikes in the States until very recently, when the patent came up. See; Diamondback.

Again, almost like it's marketing moreso than anything else.

The original V10 and the VPfree had the S-shaped axle path. They were openly advertising long-travel bikes that pedaled like hardtails.
I remember people loving how the V10 accelerated, even though it had 10 inches of travel. It was the future! But it had so much chain tug that it could buck you right off the pedals if you hit the right bump or berm.
Same with the VPfree. The freeriders loved it 'cause you could pedal it up a hill and was awesome hitting drops. But if you weren't ready the cranks could spin right under your feet!

Now the V10 has 8.5 inches of travel and a real mellow axle path. I think the Intense XC rigs still use the actual VPP design.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 17:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Slopestyle bikes?

Very!

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 14:54 Quote
Think I prefer the look of this frame way more over the old one, just the TT and the DT looking straighter makes it looked a lot cleaner and nicer IMO

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
Think I prefer the look of this frame way more over the old one, just the TT and the DT looking straighter makes it looked a lot cleaner and nicer IMO
That was it. There was something but i couldnt quite firgure it out. Looks a lot nicer than my ticket

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 16:18 Quote
I cant hardly tell, but did they also eliminate the full floater design? Looks like the shock might mount to tabs on the bottom bracket area?

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 16:33 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
I cant hardly tell, but did they also eliminate the full floater design? Looks like the shock might mount to tabs on the bottom bracket area?
yeah they did. wish they did that on the production ticket. that way I wouldn't have to pump the shit out of my fox float shock. its like 60psi over max because of that full floater design.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 19:43 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
I cant hardly tell, but did they also eliminate the full floater design? Looks like the shock might mount to tabs on the bottom bracket area?
yeah they did. wish they did that on the production ticket. that way I wouldn't have to pump the shit out of my fox float shock. its like 60psi over max because of that full floater design.

Well I imagine the "2018 Trek Ticket S" will be this redesigned frame here. Can't wait to snag one!

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 10:29 Quote
IF they go into production


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027660
Mobile Version of Website