Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion
Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
I think it depends on manufacturer but now-a-days, it's not a monster difference, if at all. Dartmoor Cody or Quinnie frames are steel and can be cheaper than some Alu frames like Marin Alcatraz or Polygon Trid. But here's high end for both like Cachet XX or NS Capital or Partymaster, etc.

NS and Dartmoor both charge less for their premium aluminum frames than their premium steel frames. With Dartmoor in particular, it's a massive difference. I'm not sure how much of it is due to material differences vs the factories/countries that these brands are working with.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
is that due to price of materials, or just because they know they can charge that much for steel?

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
as in, people will pay that for steel

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
I think it depends on the grade of steel too. Like a high tensile steel is a cheap frame but a
4130 chromo is expensive.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
traqs wrote:
is that due to price of materials, or just because they know they can charge that much for steel?

Anecdotal experience once again, but when I left the shop we seriously couldn't keep aluminum frames in stock, meanwhile our Suburbans and Quinnies etc gathered dust every year. I suspect the Taiwanese factories that most of these guys are using for their steel frames are more expensive than the Chinese factories some brands are using for aluminum. Not sure if that's something intrinsic to the material, or just a byproduct of different country/factory of origin - better conditions or something.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
you do pay more for a better factory, with better conditions, that applies outside of the bike world

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
crs-one wrote:
traqs wrote:

Anecdotal experience once again, but when I left the shop we seriously couldn't keep aluminum frames in stock, meanwhile our Suburbans and Quinnies etc gathered dust every year. I suspect the Taiwanese factories that most of these guys are using for their steel frames are more expensive than the Chinese factories some brands are using for aluminum. Not sure if that's something intrinsic to the material, or just a byproduct of different country/factory of origin - better conditions or something.

Bangon. The cromo coming out of Taiwan was at significantly higher cost than the Chinese alloy stuff. Better margin on the alloy gear too I suspect.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 17:57 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
traqs wrote:

2800 for the frame? is it made of gold or what? what makes that so expensive?

Might be ti

That'd make sense but they are only steel.

Hey guys, it's a hand welded frame by one of the best in America, with deep MTB roots. With the best welds I've seen in 20 years. Not farmed out to some factory. This is done the old school waySmile Nickel plated so it doesn't get scratched by your other bikes. Best bike I've ever seen. Exits berms at light speed. Price includes a high-end tuned shock and +10mph comin outta the next turn. Made to slay Sea Otter Slalom, which it has done, for several riders. Geometry and design could use some updating-- but they are more about custom rigs nowadays. Let's ride!

-A

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
So being the taller rider , and currently having a transition sentinel 29er .

I’m looking at having a second bike , something from a slope style kind of setup , but everything Iv tried seems to fee really small, even compared to what I remember my NS capital feeling like .

Can someone point me in the direction of companies that cater to the taller / bigger riders ?

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
You're probably best off with a single speed rear brake only trail bike, i reckon. Slope/dj bikes tend to come in one size, as far as I know, maybe somebody else will chime in on that though.
Im 183 tall and running quite high rise bars to be comfy on my bikes (soda slope/zircus/26player). Or maybe I'm just too old... but it helps. You can also try running a fork with more than 100mm travel, most bikes are ok with up to 130 travel forks.
The bikes being rather small is kind of the point in this niche, for obvious reasons.
Or you could get something custom made.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
liamarcher wrote:
So being the taller rider , and currently having a transition sentinel 29er .

I’m looking at having a second bike , something from a slope style kind of setup , but everything Iv tried seems to fee really small, even compared to what I remember my NS capital feeling like .

Can someone point me in the direction of companies that cater to the taller / bigger riders ?

Can anyone here think of any SS frames that come in long sizes? I'm pretty sure almost all of them are one size only. The thing I would suggest is to search based on TT length.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
26player comes in long and short, that's about it, afaik.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
noisette wrote:

Yeah but In dually I'm referring to.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
zmcycle wrote:
noisette wrote:

Killswitch?

Kinda dated design though.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
Nobble wrote:
zmcycle wrote:
noisette wrote:

Killswitch?

Kinda dated design though.

Don't even think they make them. I hear mixed things about ordering blackmarket or contacting them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031583
Mobile Version of Website