Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Sexiest Slopestyle Bikes and Slopestyle Discussion
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Anyone know of any p slopes maybe up for sale soon in the UK?

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
Ok so after ordering the SB One G3C tensioner I was just contacted by the guys there saying it can’t be posted to Australia due to the current situation. Gonna cancel my order for now but desperate to have my Ticket S rideable so does anyone know of any alternate tensioner that work with a non concentric bb or should I just get a cheap derailleur for the time being? (If so would any old derailleur work for ss?)

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
You might be able to find somewhere that can ship the Reverse Components version maybe? Planning on getting one for my Trid ZZ so I can use the Zee mech somewhere else.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/reverse-colab-chain-tensioner-2685404?product_shape=black%2Fwhite&article_size=Standard

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
Jeddi7 wrote:
Ok so after ordering the SB One G3C tensioner I was just contacted by the guys there saying it can’t be posted to Australia due to the current situation. Gonna cancel my order for now but desperate to have my Ticket S rideable so does anyone know of any alternate tensioner that work with a non concentric bb or should I just get a cheap derailleur for the time being? (If so would any old derailleur work for ss?)

Just make sure it's got a clutch. Also check out the alfine tensioner. I ran one on my ticket s for a bit but I couldn't get the chain line I wanted so I switched to a 10sp XO clutch short cage. Best tensioner ever. I've run GX 10sp and Zee/Saint 10sp as well, all work the same.

The pro tip running a der is try to get short cage, and then take am inline barrel adjusted, put the head of a shift cable into it with the cable going through, run a short piece of housing (half inch) and then insert it into the derailleur and try to set the tension where you need it by hand, but then you got a little barrel adjuster to fine tune the position. For a short time on a single speed downhill bike I ran 3 gears and could shift between them with the barrel adjuster.

You could also just get long limit screw, but I never f*cked with that, plus some park days you'll tweak the hanger and you can just compensate with the barrel adjuster to get you through the day. Plus you get a little 'exhaust pipe' sticking out of the der that looks kinda cool.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
The other thing with the long limit screw technique is that it doesn't actually work with some derailleurs. I ran into this with an XTR M9000 limited to 5 gears, when you're that far down the cassette the limit screw isn't pointing in the right direction no matter how long it is.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
crs-one wrote:
The other thing with the long limit screw technique is that it doesn't actually work with some derailleurs. I ran into this with an XTR M9000 limited to 5 gears, when you're that far down the cassette the limit screw isn't pointing in the right direction no matter how long it is.

I think I ran into that with the Saint which I why I came up with the exhaust pipe technique. 6ish full bike park days and countless sessions at the jumps and I've never had an issue. I ran a 32-14 with a 10sp chain and a 14t cog off some old 10sp cassette. Ghetto, but effective. This was on my ticket s for 2 years. I did break the Saint loading it in my truck and replaced it with a gx but ran the same setup with no issue.

For one of my downhill bikes I took some 21t (ish) cogs and took them to a bench grinder and flattened all the teeth. Set it in a vice and bend the edges outward (optional, the set I'm running now I didn't bend at all) and sandwich the cog you wanna run in between them and you'll NEVER have an issue. If the chain tries to jump the shaved cogs will keep her in place and help keep the chain safe. Ran that on a downhill bike and tried it with the clutch off (zee baby) and it was a floppy bitch, but pedal down she'd always find her place. Clutch on, nothing to worry about.

I made 2 sets of the protector cogs and only found them helpful on my dh bike, never seemed to need them on my Slope bikes. They seem like overkill on jump bikes. Still, dropped chains never crossed my mind running them.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
Jeddi7 wrote:

Just make sure it's got a clutch. Also check out the alfine tensioner. I ran one on my ticket s for a bit but I couldn't get the chain line I wanted so I switched to a 10sp XO clutch short cage. Best tensioner ever. I've run GX 10sp and Zee/Saint 10sp as well, all work the same.

The pro tip running a der is try to get short cage, and then take am inline barrel adjusted, put the head of a shift cable into it with the cable going through, run a short piece of housing (half inch) and then insert it into the derailleur and try to set the tension where you need it by hand, but then you got a little barrel adjuster to fine tune the position. For a short time on a single speed downhill bike I ran 3 gears and could shift between them with the barrel adjuster.

You could also just get long limit screw, but I never f*cked with that, plus some park days you'll tweak the hanger and you can just compensate with the barrel adjuster to get you through the day. Plus you get a little 'exhaust pipe' sticking out of the der that looks kinda cool.

Single speed setup. Three cogs barrel adjuster. 3D printed cassette spacer from hairy g
Preach!
I'd go for a GX DH 7 speed mech if you can get one locally, cheapish, compact and perfect if you change your mind about single speed later on. Single speed is rad though.
I tried an alfine and the tab the B tension screw sits on snapped off on my first run. Zip tied the whole thing to my chainstay and it worked much better.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Single speed setup. Three cogs barrel adjuster. 3D printed cassette spacer from hairy g
Preach!
I'd go for a GX DH 7 speed mech if you can get one locally, cheapish, compact and perfect if you change your mind about single speed later on. Single speed is rad though.

I tried an alfine and the tab the B tension screw sits on snapped off on my first run. Zip tied the whole thing to my chainstay and it worked much better.

I forgot my friend and I both ended up with our alfines zip tied, mine was on my ticket and my friends was on a specialized sx (the old low slung bear claw bike pre p slop) and on the sx it worked phenomenally. I think it was something with the ticket being a 142 rear end that made it harder to work with.

Gx 7 speed looks fantastic! That's a dope setup!

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
Thanks for all the help guys very much appreciated. Following on from what secondtimeuser recommended, I managed to find the reverse colab tensioner in Aus for a third of the price of the G3C. Seems to be less complicated and a bit cleaner than running a derailleur (excuse my lack of confidence in tinkering). Anyone able to shed any light on it? I think I've seen a few people running them in the DH single speed thread.

https://www.ridebyinstinct.com.au/product-page/colab-chain-tensioner

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Preach!

I forgot my friend and I both ended up with our alfines zip tied, mine was on my ticket and my friends was on a specialized sx (the old low slung bear claw bike pre p slop) and on the sx it worked phenomenally. I think it was something with the ticket being a 142 rear end that made it harder to work with.

Gx 7 speed looks fantastic! That's a dope setup!
I’m running an older sram rival with one of the jockey wheels removed

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
dtayl12 wrote:
might be trading my vimana for one if you wanr one

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
g-roy33 wrote:
dtayl12 wrote:
might be trading my vimana for one if you wanr one

How much is your vimana going for? I would certainly take that off your hands for the right price!

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:04 Quote
Was potentially trading for a pslope, we’ll see how that goes. Dont know what to say for price cus all my bikes are jank as f*ck

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
g-roy33 wrote:
Was potentially trading for a pslope, we’ll see how that goes. Dont know what to say for price cus all my bikes are jank as f*ck
Was it your slope or normal vimana?

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
Hardtail. Broke a weld on my vslope

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv81 0.009632
Mobile Version of Website