Acl experiences

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 8:34 Quote
Hi guys, I had a bad luck and blowed my ACL... How was your experience with this crappy situation and how long does it take to get into seadle 100%?

Thanks a lot

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 8:37 Quote
tomesk wrote:
Hi guys, I had a bad luck and blowed my ACL... How was your experience with this crappy situation and how long does it take to get into seadle 100%?

Thanks a lot
be rare and take a long time if it ever comes back to 100%

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 7:09 Quote
tomesk wrote:

Thanks a lot

man i tore my acl and pcl at crankworx in whistler 2008. i had bone patellar bone graft by one of the best surgeons in my province 10 months later, it didnt work i blew my knee up again now im going in a month for my second transplant. this time from a cadaver, needless to say this whole ordeal sucks, and i hope you have a speedy recovery.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 20:02 Quote
I ruptured my ACL 18 months ago, I had the hamstring surgery by the best surgeon in Sydney, I was riding (very carefully) after 2 and a half months, racing (MX) again after 4 months. It's as good as my other knee now.

But, a mate of mine did his knee 6 months before I did mine and 2 years later he still complains about it never being the same.

I think it has a lot to do with the individual, the surgeon, how bad it was ruptured in the first place and how much you work post surgery to make it strong again.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
ive done my knee 2 times. The first the repair lasted only a year and never really felt right. However this time i stuck to my therapy and regainng strength as well as taking care of myself. I am now a lil over 6 months out and feel great and have been riding hard with no worry of my knee. Stick to your pt listen to your docs and all will work out great.

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 at 18:22 Quote
Ah knee problems are no fun, but be assured you'll be good if you take care on the recovery. It all depends on how well you heel. Blood flow to the area is curcial, doing rapid quad flexing stimulates blood flow but produces no stress on the joint. Do this post surgery while your laid up even before you start physio, plus increase you protein intake.

I'm 43 and have had 2 ALC surguries and a handfull of scope surgeries, first ACL was 28yrs ago, simple ACL repair. 6 weeks in a cast, but that was then, 1983,
(the ACL was severed, not torn from the bone, like most) while racing BMX. I was back racing 2 months out of the cast. Second time was a separation fom the bone. I had the alograft, in that a peice of tendion from my knee cap and bone chips from my fibula and knee cap were used. That procedure was done 15yrs ago. I've never stopped riding (of course for recovery) I've raced XC training 40hrs per week never had an issue. I still ride DH and rip it up. I'm sure your tihinking yeah your 43 how hard do you push it, I did diggers 4yrs ago. And plan on racing DH next season, I ride with guys in their 20s'.

So what I'm saying is don't sweat it your still young, no worries. If you follow the recovery plan and do the physio you'll be good, the most important thing is to build the muscles in your legs they'll help hold your knee together.

If your still concerned check out these,http://www.asterisk.com/. These were developed for MX use for guys like us. I've been using them since '04 with no complaints. I had a custom knee brace but it was a pain and didn't have any padding/protection. These aren't cheap about $700-$800 but they do the job and if you have a good doctor he might be able to write a perscription for you for them in which case if you or your family has medical insure migth pay for them.

Best of luck.

CurtisW

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 11:50 Quote
Iv had my acl done twice im 40. First in the 90s using a patela graft and was unsucessfull the second in 2001 with a hamstring graft which worked. My best advice is to get it done asap, the recovery will be much quicker . A friend of mine who is 21 had his done 3 months ago with his hamstring for the graft and is now riding light XC he's recovering about three times faster than i did proberbly due to his age and improvments in the procedure. GET IT FIXED DUDE Smile

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 4:04 Quote
Thanks guys for your stories... Right now I am after my second surgery, where they had my ACL reconstructed with hamstring graft and double-bundle procedure... Its 2weeks now and it wasn't so bad all... If things go well according to my orthopedist ill be back next season.. Knee was much worse after 6weeks in plaster... Thanks again and good luck to everyone with a same problem!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008739
Mobile Version of Website