Whats the difference between mavic 721 729 and 823

PB Forum :: Downhill
Whats the difference between mavic 721 729 and 823
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:15 Quote
so absically im building a bike adn am gonna be puttin one of these rims onto som halo spin doctor hubs but what are the difference between them and are they ll able to be run with tubes and everything with no extras , i kow that soubnds dum but ive just hear about some inserts i wouldneed for 823s if any1 knows what they are that would be helpful too

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:27 Quote
721 and 729 are the same rim, just diffrent rim width. now the 823 on the other had is a whole other monster, the got pretty much ever thing mavic and do to a rim, and 100% tubeless, the rim is only drilled through the bottom wall and the nipples are kept in place my the screw in spoke bed. i've been running mine for about a year and a half on brutal dh runs and drop after drop and they are a true as the day i bought them

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:29 Quote
THE-REMEDY wrote:
721 and 729 are the same rim, just diffrent rim width. now the 823 on the other had is a whole other monster, the got pretty much ever thing mavic and do to a rim, and 100% tubeless, the rim is only drilled through the bottom wall and the nipples are kept in place my the screw in spoke bed. i've been running mine for about a year and a half on brutal dh runs and drop after drop and they are a true as the day i bought them
can they be run with tubes though

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:29 Quote
chucker75 wrote:
THE-REMEDY wrote:
are the 721 the beter out of the 729 and 721 then

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:33 Quote
chucker75 wrote:

Yes. The valve core screws out and you can run Presta valved tubes.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:34 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
chucker75 wrote:

Yes. The valve core screws out and you can run Presta valved tubes.
so i would be better of with 721 or 729 and whicch is better

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:35 Quote
Better is a matter of opinion. The 721 is lighter and thinner, the 729 is heavier and wider. Depending on the pressure you run, trail types, either rim is a good option.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 8:39 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Better is a matter of opinion. The 721 is lighter and thinner, the 729 is heavier and wider. Depending on the pressure you run, trail types, either rim is a good option.
more dh freeridy so the 729 is the better bet and what about sun mtx

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 12:12 Quote
721 and 729 are the same rim, just diffrent rim width

sorry to disagree, but this is incorrect

the EX721 is basically the old D521 rim, and was designed with a box section profile and brake sidewalls, allowing the use of caliper / v-brakes - its narrower and lighter

the EX729 is the old D321 rim, and was designed with an arch section profile to be disc-brake specific - its wider and heavier

the EX721 is a very good rim in terms of strength to weight ratio, its a very tough rim!

I'd only recommend the EX729 for heavier DH abuse / bigger riders, or perhaps as a good rim for the rear wheel, and the lighter EX721 on the front wheel

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 2:54 Quote
which would be best for a dj bike with hope hubs?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008225
Mobile Version of Website