Intense 951 vs. Specialized Demo

PB Forum :: Downhill
Intense 951 vs. Specialized Demo
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 at 19:25 Quote
I am looking at getting a new DH/FR bike for the 2011 season. title is prity self explanatory

FL
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 at 9:17 Quote
seasonfreerider wrote:
I am looking at getting a new DH/FR bike for the 2011 season. title is prity self explanatory

Banshee Legend or 2011 Canfield Jedi. Those 2 besides shitloads of marketing never really impressed me. If those 2 are the only options Id get the demo - the geo seems nicer and susp defo is if you want to ride in the shorter travel setting on the 951.

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 at 9:51 Quote
seasonfreerider wrote:

If you are not a beginner Intense would let you to customize your setting as you prefer. But talking about 2011 in your shoes I would decide between new M9 and new Demo 8. Obviously imho

Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 3:47 Quote
i would take a scott gambler 2011 or the Intense 951 (:

Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 4:45 Quote
Gamblers heavy and expensive but its a great bike. If you wanted something lighter you could get a Scott voltage and stick some double crowns on..

Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 8:32 Quote
I would go for the 2011 demo, the thing looks sick. I have a 2008 demo 8 and love it, so the newer one should be even better.

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 at 21:36 Quote
951!!! just got mine 5weeks ago. unbelievably good!if you want something light, corners well, fast, and be able to change the geo of te bike go with the 951!

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2010 at 21:49 Quote
go for the demo, there's a reason the intense team didn't race the 951.
the M6 or the M9 are wayyy sicker

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 at 22:00 Quote
I would go for the demo over the 951 if you are looking for a bike that will last longer than a season. I have seen numerous 951's crack, and the demo has proven itself to be a super stout durable frame. Whats also cool about the 2011 demo is it comes with mount on the rear shock that allows it to pivot on bearings rather than a bushing... so i could imagine that the small bump sensitivity will be improved. Its also a little longer and slacker than previous models so it was designed to be low and fast. The 951 is considered FRO (for racers only) and from what I have seen/heard it is only a one season race bike... but for that one season it will be one fun bike.

Just my 2 cents

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 at 13:20 Quote
winger87 wrote:
Gamblers heavy and expensive but its a great bike. If you wanted something lighter you could get a Scott voltage and stick some double crowns on..
yeah right they are might heavy but they are also able to take very hard beatings ! but expensive ?... no they are acctully pretty normal priced for DH bikes if you compare them to so many other DH bikes ?

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 at 13:30 Quote
i think the 2010 top of the range gambler was something stupid like £5500 in the UK, and i think the lapiere complete was something like £5000? So yes, they are overpriced and from them to i'd rather have the lappiere + its cheaper.

Back to the demo vs 951, DEMO FTW, Intense are DEFO overpriced, theres no denying they make some really really nice bikes, but imo you pay more for it being 'intense' and USA made. However i havnt rode a intense before.

I also ride a 08 demo and selling it to buy a 2011 demo as i can only imagine how good it must ride, if mine already rides like a dream.

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 at 13:32 Quote
scott gambler= best part of £6000

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 at 9:55 Quote
You do realize he is asking about 2 bikes guys, not scott gamblers

Both bikes are going to shine in different areas, the FSR is going to make the demo corner and jump better than the 951, but the FSR rides like shit over square edge hits due to the shortening stays. Where the VPP does GREAT through the rough.

That being said those 951s are funny. They have a low leverage ratio and a swing link driven shock at the top. Santa Cruz found out the hard way, with the VPfree, that a rate link and low leverage ratio on a VPP bike just feels kinda lousy. I rode a 951, and really the suspension just felt like shit.

I say go M6 or Demo, M6 if you wanna race, demo if you want to have fun.

Oh and another thing about intense. I worked at an intense dealer for a while and there frames are complete shit as far as quality. They were regularly just not strait, and there were several instances where you could see the ENTIRE top tube through the seat tube do to weld over penetration. They also tend to refuse to admit that they would let anything less than perfect out of there factory

FL
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 at 14:37 Quote
themontajew wrote:
You do realize he is asking about 2 bikes guys, not scott gamblers

Both bikes are going to shine in different areas, the FSR is going to make the demo corner and jump better than the 951, but the FSR rides like shit over square edge hits due to the shortening stays. Where the VPP does GREAT through the rough.

That being said those 951s are funny. They have a low leverage ratio and a swing link driven shock at the top. Santa Cruz found out the hard way, with the VPfree, that a rate link and low leverage ratio on a VPP bike just feels kinda lousy. I rode a 951, and really the suspension just felt like shit.

I say go M6 or Demo, M6 if you wanna race, demo if you want to have fun.

Oh and another thing about intense. I worked at an intense dealer for a while and there frames are complete shit as far as quality. They were regularly just not strait, and there were several instances where you could see the ENTIRE top tube through the seat tube do to weld over penetration. They also tend to refuse to admit that they would let anything less than perfect out of there factory

Its not due to the low leverage ratio. It wasnt really that low compared to many current bikes. The problem was shitty leverage curve (vpp bikes tend to have them a bit less developed than other companies for some strange reason)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013770
Mobile Version of Website