Homemade bike rack

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade bike rack
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 15:54 Quote
I am looking for some good ideas on building a hitch mounted bike rack. I currently have a cheap swagman rack and it worked fine untill yesterday. I went around a corner and my rack bent down and my bike went flying out into the middle of the highway. It really sucked!!! Just finished building up a new frame I was on my third ride. So I was thinking about useing some parts off of my current rack to build a better one. Just looking for a little help/ideas from what other people have done. thanks

Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 17:09 Quote
Save your time and effort
Get a north shore rack

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 at 19:04 Quote
Stainer wrote:
Save your time and effort
Get a north shore rack

This. Not sure how the NS racks compare, but thule makes a decent hitch mounted one in a similar style.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/product/thule_916_rack.jpg

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 at 16:40 Quote
let us know how it goes. Ive been meaning to get around to the same. My swagman isnt high enough to get the front wheel off the ground so i plan on building something better this fall. For 30$ of steel i can have a custom rack and have my money to spend elsewhere.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 at 17:00 Quote
Here's one I built. Its not hitch mount though. The wood was just kind of to test the design, i'll probably built a metal one next year. Although the wood is working fine, i've used it for about a year with no problems.

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 22:25 Quote

Took awhile but I finally made a North Shore Rack Smile
Made a few minor modifications

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 8:00 Quote
I'm looking at purchasing an NSR 4 Rack. Is there anything to be concerned about regarding the bike mount position of the North shore rack? Does it put too much stress on the head set? I have also heard the North Shore racks now fit the 1.5 headsets/tubes.

Posted: Apr 1, 2012 at 5:32 Quote
hi hi hi hi realy cooooolllllllll ha ah

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022435
Mobile Version of Website