PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
JNZ wrote:
nennarv wrote:
I rode bikes alot in NZ in October
https://youtu.be/ueJJIFySbJw

[

Shit some great NZ trails in there. What part of the country did you enjoy most?

Man, loved it all.

Alex is pretty wicked. Nelson area amazing. Hard to skip Vegas. Craggieburn was gorgeous. Had a blast everywhere really.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 3:49 Quote
Hi there,
A couple months after coming back home from NZ (and straight to self isolation, well that's another topic) here is my experience on NZ riding for noobs / people who do not necessarily have the time nor the level to ride a lot during their trip.
First of all thanks for all the advices I got here, it was helpful! So we were in NZ for 5 weeks with my gf, the whole of February. We rented a van in Christchurch, three weeks on south island and 10 days on the north island before spending the last couple days in Auckland.
I had only ever ridden small bikeparks and local single tracks on medium sized hills, thinking I could clear most local stuff. I have to say that riding Queenstown bikepark after 4 months off the bike (shit weather + great waves this winter in France) was not a great idea! But I still had a blast. It was my first time on a 200 mm full suss bike and it felt great, even if it was really dry and dusty. I managed to go down all green and most blue tracks, but I was about to shit myself on some sections, while being overtaken by some 15 year old locals ahah
We drove up to Cardrona to find out that it would not open on that day (too much wind and some power failure). The place is super exposed compared to Queenstown where you can ride among trees. The trail leading down (down to pub?) must be unreal, the views... Well next time maybe! For those driving a (rental) van in the area be aware that freedom camping is forbidden pretty much everywhere around Queenstown and Wanaka in summer.
On our way north I was lurking at bike rentals around Nelson to go explore but again no luck as most trails were closed due to fire risk. I then rode in Rotorua (Whakarewarewa forest) which was great and I would say more intermediate friendly than Queenstown bikepark. There are even trails for families/kids.There I managed to ride many more trails and up to a more technical level.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
My partner and I are looking to emigrate to Nz.

Her job is on the skills shortage list
My job is as well.

Seems like we may actaully get a 2yr visa and offered a perminate spot after that. (You know hopefully)

Any suggestions on living on the islands?

She's not a mountain biker likes the city life.

I ride alot, have always dreamed of getting out to NZ to ride.

Thanks much!

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
what city are you moving to?

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
we are still waiting on our application.

where would you want to move?

appreciate the response

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
depends on what you want
Christchurch is probably the best at the moment and its in the south with a good a good mix of city/country and Have the rest of the south island to enjoy(queenstown and central area's)
Christchurch has a lift access bike park basically in the city called Christchurch adventure park. The good side of the Hill got destroyed by a fire in 2017 and due to ignorance by park builders they dont like maintaining the tracks, will generally let them decay untill they rebuild it.

only one good blue flow line on the whole hill side, CAP generally has more black tech trails than anything else.

But it's about 4 hours drive to queenstown bike park and cadrona Bike park.(these places also do skiing etc in winter months)

Christchurch is also in the rebuild from an earthquake so alot of $$$ getting spent there.

Auckland is the big city but it's hated by the rest of the country... for good reason's and if your a MTB'er is probably not the most logical place as yeah it has pedal up places but for a supercity here its limited on what you can actually do without traveling(most aucklanders travel to queenstown)

wellington... unless your job is there and you're earning alot of $$$ dont bother, youll get blown away by the wind and wet from the rain everyday.

New Zealand and Australia are nothing like the US, the laws are much more open and free, the countries are peaceful and people dont get all wound up about politics.
P.s the sport is much easier to understand and it actually makes sense we play other countrys at sport lol.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
I grew up in the uk, Netherlands and Sweden.

I know how stupid alot of private property laws make recreation and life in general pretty shit in the US.

I have wanted a visa for ten years but its been hard making a list for me in my job

My partner is a veterinarian

I work as a entertainment Rigging/ designer.
Or in rope acess.

Hopefully we can get the visa and settle in somewhere good for both of us.

Thank you for all the advice.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
Id say it depends on when you say "city life" do you mean a larger city 1-1.5million+ or a 500,000 person city?

I'd vote for Christchurch too, Cheaper housing, the driest of the main cities, Bike park and port hills mins away. Plenty of other great riding Kaikoura/Nelson/Hanmer/Queenstown all within 6 hours drive away.

Christchurch urban city is around 450,000 people and its not overly congested like wellington and auckland.

Good luck for everything

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
Probably start off in Christchurch and go from there. It'd be far easier finding rental/permanent accommodation in Ch-ch. Plus plenty of nearby riding, as others have stated. Beaches are only a few K's from the CBD.

Auckland isn't so bad (lived there for 13 years), but housing both rental and ownership is bonkers at the moment. Plus you have to drive an hour north to various bikeparks. That's if traffic isn't having another of its famous gridlock moments. Some good urban riding though.

Wellington, good riding in and near the city. Good luck finding somewhere to live there however.

Dunedin, smaller city but cheap as to live. Good riding nearby. Gets colder than a priests nuts in winter.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
we are still waiting on our application.

where would you want to move?

appreciate the response

Nelson. But further south if you like to ski too.

I lived in chch for 6 months and then bikepacked the country later on. Chch has the port hills, which are beautiful but Nelson is pretty close to Abel tasman too.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
Hello all, wee bit of feedback as I just got back from Queenstown where I was based for 7 days. I've been riding MTB for 25 odd years and reasonably happy on Single blacks and some double black.

1st riding day was a little wet in the morning, we rode Rude rock onto Hot rod. Fantastic QTMTB have done a great job here, enjoyed hot rod more but we only rode it once as it was wetter down the bottom in the forest. Session rude rock 2 more times.

Cardrona, WOW pick of the week for me, stunning trails even though it was the final days of the season. Ridge rider was closed for race practice but we rode all greens, blues and a couple of blacks. Day pass & stopping for pizza and beer still did 12 uplifts in 5 1/2 hours. Soooo smooth and maintained compared to Christchurch trails, I'd come back anytime. No lift queues even when busy, same loading system as CAP on the longer chair. Finished on the peak to pub as my mates partner decided she would drive to the bottom. 1260m (4133ft) down over 10km what a trail! But so hard on brakes and arms. Favs - Arcadia, Prospector and Peak to Pub

Skyline, GNARLY, ended up on a couple of double blacks on my enduro bike and nearly wet myself haha. Its STEEP and once again end of season trails (blue and blacks) are sooo blown out. Reminded me of Christchurch again. Some queues for gondola and the loading system isin't great. Favs - Squid run, Original and Huck yeah

Overall brilliant fun, 3 days riding and just over 100km of DH. November we will be back but base ourselves in Wanaka for Cardrona, Glendhu and sticky forest.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
JNZ wrote:
Hello all, wee bit of feedback as I just got back from Queenstown where I was based for 7 days. I've been riding MTB for 25 odd years and reasonably happy on Single blacks and some double black.

1st riding day was a little wet in the morning, we rode Rude rock onto Hot rod. Fantastic QTMTB have done a great job here, enjoyed hot rod more but we only rode it once as it was wetter down the bottom in the forest. Session rude rock 2 more times.

Cardrona, WOW pick of the week for me, stunning trails even though it was the final days of the season. Ridge rider was closed for race practice but we rode all greens, blues and a couple of blacks. Day pass & stopping for pizza and beer still did 12 uplifts in 5 1/2 hours. Soooo smooth and maintained compared to Christchurch trails, I'd come back anytime. No lift queues even when busy, same loading system as CAP on the longer chair. Finished on the peak to pub as my mates partner decided she would drive to the bottom. 1260m (4133ft) down over 10km what a trail! But so hard on brakes and arms. Favs - Arcadia, Prospector and Peak to Pub

Skyline, GNARLY, ended up on a couple of double blacks on my enduro bike and nearly wet myself haha. Its STEEP and once again end of season trails (blue and blacks) are sooo blown out. Reminded me of Christchurch again. Some queues for gondola and the loading system isin't great. Favs - Squid run, Original and Huck yeah

Overall brilliant fun, 3 days riding and just over 100km of DH. November we will be back but base ourselves in Wanaka for Cardrona, Glendhu and sticky forest.

CAP, I would rate as possibly the worst MTB park i've been too - I believe they've been mostly relying on volunteer's to build the trails, while thats great.. someone needs to maintain them, like why cant they have 1 or 2 employees close a trail once or twice a month and do work on each trail(they usually only close tracks to get the weed eater out on tracks like GC)...

Im also perplexed by the fact theres a blown out fast blue tech trail as the main connector from the lift to the most used other trails.
They have one blue flow trail that makes me want to pull my hair out on being NTT, there's some holes... i mean craters on the top half of that trail, the bottom half I'm not sure who designed the jumps... its ment to be blue flow but has dirt jumps on it... bring back whoever designed and built the original prefire Lord of the possums.

lets not even get into the cost of the uplift for what trails they have.

the drive to skyline or cardrona is far more worth it.. guess its also why the pros/media people dont ever visit CAP lol.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
Agree mate, I purchased a annual pass pre fires then a summer a break then a winter and thats it. I'll struggle to pay to go there until trails improve.

Cardrona makes CAP look like a complete waste of money.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
I'd counter the above thoughts about Wellington. I spent many years there. There is some wind..... just get over it it isn't the end of the world. If it rains it isn't for long. Wellington is a fun city.

Now... there is notmuch shuttling (none?) and you need to be a trail rider.The mountain biking is epic mate, I could count at least 10 all day rides in and around the city. There are heaps and heaps of individual trails. Lots of variation. All are world class.

Wellington has had a round of the XC World Cup in the city!.....again in the city ffs! Many years ago Velo magazine rated Welly in the top 10 city's of the world for mountain biking....Trails are brilliant

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 1:22 Quote
JNZ wrote:
Agree mate, I purchased a annual pass pre fires then a summer a break then a winter and thats it. I'll struggle to pay to go there until trails improve.

Cardrona makes CAP look like a complete waste of money.

I haven’t ridden CAP but I’d easily rate Cardrona over Skyline even. Awesome trails that are well maintained (ie no massive season-long braking bumps etc like in other places) and the lift queues are short as, even on a busy day. Last time I went to Skyline I spent more time waiting on the Gondola than riding my bike or riding IN the gondola.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006324
Mobile Version of Website