New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc
Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 3:24 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:
nice work man, looks like a lot of fun.
Yeah was such a sick event to watch

Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 13:11 Quote
Hey guys, im thinking of taking a gap year to NZ. Should i go to Rotorua or Queens town? ill visit one or the other for sure but if im going to be there for 6 months so which is the better town to stay in for longer periods and to work? Which place has more riding?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 20:01 Quote
Jacob001 wrote:
Hey guys, im thinking of taking a gap year to NZ. Should i go to Rotorua or Queens town? ill visit one or the other for sure but if im going to be there for 6 months so which is the better town to stay in for longer periods and to work? Which place has more riding?

Hey mate I'm in NZ doing similar and think Christchurch might be a good shout? New bike park opens next month and I've had no trouble finding a job or a place to live etc.

Can't say if it's better than Queenstown or Rotorua as I haven't ridden either yet but might be worth a look

Cheers

Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 20:40 Quote
I'd go ChCh as well. QTown is too expensive & Rotorua smells bad. As well as the new bike park in ChCh there is heaps of good riding within an easy drive & roadtrips to Wanaka, QTown & Nelson etc are a reasonable option...

Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
Skootur wrote:
I'd go ChCh as well. QTown is too expensive & Rotorua smells bad. As well as the new bike park in ChCh there is heaps of good riding within an easy drive & roadtrips to Wanaka, QTown & Nelson etc are a reasonable option...

Does CHCH have much other riding than just the new bike park? Is the bike park lift access?

Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 23:20 Quote
Plenty, XC, enduro, DH & skatepark.
The bike park gondola opens @ Xmas.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 8:39 Quote
Skootur wrote:
Plenty, XC, enduro, DH & skatepark.
The bike park gondola opens @ Xmas.

Hmmm making it a hard decision. Would you guys say trail forks shows most of the trail in the air or is there a lot more in CHCH and Nelson etc.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 20:47 Quote
Never used trailforks so sorry, I can't help with that question...

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 at 13:43 Quote
There are quite a few more trails around nelson and chch than are on trailforks, but often not that easy to find unless you go with someone who knows where they are. BTW the bikepark area is empty on trailforks, there used to be heaps of 'illegal' trails in that area (and there still are just outside the park boundary) but for obvious reasons they were not put up on the web. Qtown, wanaka, nelson are all fairly common weekend roadtrips from Christchurch too, all 5-6 hours drive. Craigieburn, hutt etc all ~ 1 hour. Check out https://www.pinkbike.com/u/TransNZ/ for reasons to go to Craigieburn.

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 at 16:51 Quote
when traveling around NZ what the best / cheapest accommodation?

Posted: Dec 2, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Jacob001 wrote:
when traveling around NZ what the best / cheapest accommodation?

best =/= cheapest. you could always bike around the country and pitch a tent in quiet areas at night where you won't bother anyone. actually that was pretty great. id recommend that. hitchhiking is easy too and you can stay at hostels for 20-30 a night. so pretty cheap that route. car route might be most convenient but also have to pay for gas and wont necesssarily sell the car/van for what you paid. so depends on your interests and budget. you looking to be private and adventurously with extra convenience or are you trying to meet people the whole way?

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 18:51 Quote
Going to be landing in Queenstown on December 9th. Having trouble finding accomadation. Anyone got a couch/floor i could crash on for a bit? 18 coming from B.C Canada
Thanks!

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
December in Q'town??? Good luck buddy because you might just need the biking gods to be smiling down on you. Beds are in seriously short supply over Christmas...

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 16:43 Quote
Once in a lifetime USA mountain biking tripBlank Stare

I'm looking for one or two or three mountain bikers to join me on a mountain biking odyssey to the United States this year - June, July, August or part thereof.  Travel by van.  Visiting some or all of the top US MTB destinations including Moab, Park City, Crested Butte, Fruita, Santa Fe, Sedona, Denver, Jackson, Salida and Buffalo Creek.  I'm not a commercial operator – it's a private trip.
Budget: $2000 for flights. Allow $140 per day for insurance, car rental, petrol, budget accommodation, food, etc...
If you can't come yourself help me spread the word by letting your friends know!!!
Pimp

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011151
Mobile Version of Website