New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc
Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 21:22 Quote
Or you could just ship it to an address you trust in NZ & collect it here.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 3:32 Quote
Skootur wrote:
Or you could just ship it to an address you trust in NZ & collect it here.
I did it on my way back to Europe last year, there's a guy in Queenstown (opposite Novotel) who does that. It's very efficient, you only pay based on the size of the parcel (so if you manage to cram 3 bikes in 1 box, its the same price), but ridiculously expensive (500nzd +)

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 14:22 Quote
Apologies if has already been mentioned...

Arrived in Queenstown yesterday and fly out from here on the 17th.

Would love to do a day of riding some of the DH runs. Even better would be to do it with someone who knows the runs?

Is there anyone who would be willing to privately rent me a bike or suggest a good/affordable rental shop?

TIA

Also my first post on pinkbike in 8 years Eek

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
JACKBMX wrote:
Apologies if has already been mentioned...

Arrived in Queenstown yesterday and fly out from here on the 17th.

Would love to do a day of riding some of the DH runs. Even better would be to do it with someone who knows the runs?

Is there anyone who would be willing to privately rent me a bike or suggest a good/affordable rental shop?

TIA

Also my first post on pinkbike in 8 years Eek

UPDATE:

A friend has lent me his DH bike to use for however long...

Im going to get a three day Gondala pass starting from either tomorrow or Thursday

Would be great if anyone wanted to join me and show me the trails

Any other suggestions and advice welcome Smile

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
ntd14 wrote:
Yeah, air new zealand (so maybe all star alliance) you book an extra bag of sporting goods, which will have a max of 23kg and cost 60NZD or something.

I vote for this. Fly nz.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 4:20 Quote
Hey guys, next week I'll be flying into Christchurch and spending 10 days with my bike and a van hitting up a bunch of towns all over the south island. Have a question; if you were hitting the same towns, what are one or two must ride trails in each?

Hitting Christchurch, Nelson, Wanaka, Queeenstown, Dunedin.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 4:53 Quote
In Dunedin you need to go to Signal hill (loads of trails there to choose from & shuttles if you're there on the right days) and Whare Flat.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
In Christchurch, if your into jumps and its not windy Airtearoa at Christchurch adventure park. The Luge at cragieburn is another must do.
In queenstown/wanaka, Rude rock

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 20:29 Quote
bchank wrote:
Hey guys, next week I'll be flying into Christchurch and spending 10 days with my bike and a van hitting up a bunch of towns all over the south island. Have a question; if you were hitting the same towns, what are one or two must ride trails in each?

In Christchurch, you're an extremely worthwhile 5.5hr drive away from Nelson. If you have to choose a couple of trails there, a good option is a loop from the CBD. Immediately start Fringe Hill Climb up to 800m asl, then head across Black Diamond to Sunrise Ridge, before making the hard decision between Peaking Ridge, or a Cranknstein and 629 combo to get back to the road into town. You wouldn't be disappointed with either of those options.

If you had a second day...

Wairoa Gorge. 70+km of handmade grade 3-5 trails. All shuttled for $90 ish. Pretty sick way to spend a day.

Codgers mtb park is right in the Nelson CBD - family grade wide bermy trails mainly (Firball, P51), but a few steeper ones (Smasher, Lollipop) that can be a challenge.

Kaiteriteri mtb park is similar again, but 30 mins out of town. Some great intermediate flow trails there and some jumps to mix things up. The beach itself is amazing. Jaws, Big airs, Skullduggery etc.

Fringe Hill starts and ends near Codgers, has a big climb but a pretty awesome 5km grade 4 singletrack downhill (Te Ara Koa). The summit also links to advanced descent trails like Peaking Ridge and 629.

Maitai valley and Sharlands forest are 10 minutes from CBD. Getting into grade 4+ territory now. Sharlands has steep and fast DH tracks through loamy pine forest (Kaka, Maitai Face, Loam Ranger, Broken Axe). Maitai valley has the aforementioned rooty challenging singletrack through native forest (Peaking Ridge, 629, Crankenstein). There are also a few unsanctioned trails that are up around grade 6.

You should check out some of those names on Trailforks. Enjoy your stay

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 21:38 Quote
Butters, you legend. Thanks a heap for the reply and all the info. Nelson looks tops, which is why we've planned a 3 day excursion up there. These area descriptions are perfect, thanks! Scouting out potential places to live, glad we put Nelson on the list.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:09 Quote
Listen to butters.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
bchank wrote:
Butters, you legend. Thanks a heap for the reply and all the info. Nelson looks tops, which is why we've planned a 3 day excursion up there. These area descriptions are perfect, thanks! Scouting out potential places to live, glad we put Nelson on the list.

No worries at all. Also try B-Rad cycles or Gravity Nelson if you need bike stuff while you're here Beer

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 3:26 Quote
bchank wrote:

Plenty of riding in Christchurch. Could easily do half to full day at the adventure park. Plus another day on the Port Hills, many good rides through Victoria Park area. Nelson is good as is Queenstown. Not much I know of in Wanaka or Dunedin

https://www.christchurchadventurepark.com

https://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cycling-tracks/mountain-biking

DH Map of Vic Park here https://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cycling-tracks/mountain-biking/victoria-park-mtb-track

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 2:49 Quote
Massive thanks to everyone for their suggestions - had a blast in NZ riding a bunch of trails around the south island. Lightning fast trip, but really gave a great taste of what's out there. I think the move will happen sooner rather than later.

Props for the Nelson suggestions - ended up spending a bit of time in Codgers and also climbing fringe hill for the Te Ara Koa trail - that top section is amazing!

Christchurch adventure park was great and skyline in queenstown was super fun - single track sandwich being a favourite. Rode the sticky forest trails in Wanaka, short, but good forest flowy fun. What a view too!

Again, thanks to you legends for the suggestions - good mob.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 16:11 Quote
bchank wrote:
Massive thanks to everyone for their suggestions - had a blast in NZ riding a bunch of trails around the south island. Lightning fast trip, but really gave a great taste of what's out there. I think the move will happen sooner rather than later.

Props for the Nelson suggestions - ended up spending a bit of time in Codgers and also climbing fringe hill for the Te Ara Koa trail - that top section is amazing!

Christchurch adventure park was great and skyline in queenstown was super fun - single track sandwich being a favourite. Rode the sticky forest trails in Wanaka, short, but good forest flowy fun. What a view too!

Again, thanks to you legends for the suggestions - good mob.

Nice one mate, glad to hear it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015292
Mobile Version of Website