New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc
O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
Volca-YES wrote:
Heading to Queenstown in Feb for a few days and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on intermediate level trails, and a good place to rent a bike. I do a lot of trail /flow riding and not super experienced with pure DH.

I have been itching to ride the Cardrona park and skyline, but was trying to find trails in the area. Also open to suggestions for things to do in the area that are not super touristy.

You can try:

https://www.bikeaholic.co.nz/bike_hire_queenstown

or

https://www.vertigobikes.co.nz/rental

or

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/content/queenstown-bike-rental

or

https://www.alta.co.nz/estore/category/bikehire.aspx

Cardrona is in the Wanaka area, and isn't usually as busy as Skyline in Queenstown. If you are staying in Queenstown then you will need to go over the Crown Range to get to Cardrona - nice drive (apart from the zig-zag up the hill / or down depending on which way you're travelling). While in Wanaka, the biggest attraction there (apart from a tree in the lake - google it), would be the Puzzle World, otherwise she's a fairly quiet, albeit picturesque town.

There are also good trails out of Alexandra where you can ride in the worlds (or is it just in the Southern Hemisphere?? I can't recall now) largest free-range lavender fields. See https://www.centralotagonz.com/cycling-trails/alexandra-clyde/flat-top-hill or http://www.mtbofalex.co.nz/

Trailforks is your friend for finding trails too.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 22:43 Quote
Hey guys,

I'll be doing a month in Queenstown during Jan/Feb. Just wondering if I can get some accomodation recommendations. Currently on the Queenstown Rental groups on FB but most of the listings are vacancies for the upcoming month when someone is leaving.
Would prefer to sort it out a few months ahead of time.

Preferably not backpackers as I'll be travelling with my bike and it'll require secure storage.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
Have 4 rides left on a CChurch 10 ride pass if anyone needs/wants. Ill be passing through today Tuesday

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
nennarv wrote:
Have 4 rides left on a CChurch 10 ride pass if anyone needs/wants. Ill be passing through today Tuesday

Whereabouts in Christchurch will you be?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
Might see a movie in Hornby

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 21:32 Quote
nennarv wrote:
Might see a movie in Hornby
Have flicked you a PM

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
JNZ wrote:
ronan29 wrote:

That's the plan! Plus some relaxing in between, and a few visits / hikes. We will somewhat be limited by budget as we are from France and do not have the purchasing power of a Swiss or a Scandinavian, but we would like to enjoy it as much as possible.

5 weeks is plenty, February is a lovely time of year too, beautiful long hot summer days. 6am to 9.30pm are daylight hours around then and temps between 25-35c.

Taylors Mistake in Christchurch has good surf as well as some beaches south of Kaikoura which is a tourist town on the east coast of the south island about 2.5 hours drive north.

If you need a hand with anything in Christchurch let me know, should be able to point you in the right direction :-)

Cheers I will let you know! We are landing in Christchurch and picking up a van there so we will stick around for a couple of days when we get there. There seems to be some interesting trails around Taylor's mistake too, but I will wait until we get to a bikepark as I won't have any mtb gear with me.
The plan is to head south towards Queenstown / Wanaka so I will try to get some mtb ride in one of those places (or Cardrona) and then along the west coast up to Abel Tasman to check the surf. On the north island we will definitely go to Rotorua so if I still have some cash left I will give a go to the Whakarewarewa forest for sure!

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
Is there any FB groups or people I can get in touch with to grab a ride to Cardrona from QT?

The $50 per day company service will pretty much add up to a season pass after a week of riding.

Happy to provide beers / chip in for fuel

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 0:41 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
Is there any FB groups or people I can get in touch with to grab a ride to Cardrona from QT?

The $50 per day company service will pretty much add up to a season pass after a week of riding.

Happy to provide beers / chip in for fuel

pm sent

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
I've got a big chunk of time from early June through July to do whatever. I really want to van up and down NZ and ride trail, but I know it will be the middle of winter. Will there be good riding to be had, or am I way off base and I should rethink my trip?
Thanks!

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
cirkusboy wrote:
I've got a big chunk of time from early June through July to do whatever. I really want to van up and down NZ and ride trail, but I know it will be the middle of winter. Will there be good riding to be had, or am I way off base and I should rethink my trip?
Thanks!

Riding is still okay in most areas, there maybe snow in wanaka and Queenstown but thats not guranteed. The rest of the south island will be ok, possibly a bit damp

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
How are folks getting their bikes flown over the NZ?

I'd love to finally take my own ride (usually hire) but a bike bag seems crazy expensive for an unknown amount of uses.
Does cardboard actually cut it?

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
cirkusboy wrote:
Thanks!

Nelson will be good. Especially if you're technically capable on roots etc. Wairoa Gorge is a blast no matter the weather. It's mostly rocky so the rain doesn't alter things much.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
OjoHocho wrote:
How are folks getting their bikes flown over the NZ?

I'd love to finally take my own ride (usually hire) but a bike bag seems crazy expensive for an unknown amount of uses.
Does cardboard actually cut it?

I’ve invited in a bike bag (Evoc pro travel bag), but I’m also on the road full time. I think a box will cut it if you really take the time to pack it right (but that’s any pack). A true travel bag will make it more convenient to lug the bag around outside the airport.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
ButtersNZ wrote:
cirkusboy wrote:
Thanks!

Nelson will be good. Especially if you're technically capable on roots etc. Wairoa Gorge is a blast no matter the weather. It's mostly rocky so the rain doesn't alter things much.

Legend! Nelson is high in the list, and Wairoa Gorge is in there too. This is great news!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014199
Mobile Version of Website