New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand Riding/Riders/Rides, and General Discussion and etc
Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:25 Quote
JNZ wrote:
cirkusboy wrote:
I've got a big chunk of time from early June through July to do whatever. I really want to van up and down NZ and ride trail, but I know it will be the middle of winter. Will there be good riding to be had, or am I way off base and I should rethink my trip?
Thanks!

Riding is still okay in most areas, there maybe snow in wanaka and Queenstown but thats not guranteed. The rest of the south island will be ok, possibly a bit damp

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!!! Thanks for the input. I’m good with damp. Even wet. Makes things more fun. Sounds like the trip is on!!!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
OjoHocho wrote:
How are folks getting their bikes flown over the NZ?

I'd love to finally take my own ride (usually hire) but a bike bag seems crazy expensive for an unknown amount of uses.
Does cardboard actually cut it?

EVOC bike bag.

I think you forgot to factor in costs recouped when you sell it. You can buy/sell one secondhand for around 300-400.
Sometimes on CRC it goes on sale for 400ish.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 17:54 Quote
A bike bag with a clean bike and fresh tires will stop customs taking everything out and inspecting everything... I just came back from an NZ trip and customs into NZ literally had a look at tyres first, then quickly half opened the bag to look at the frame and under the sea (where all the dirt flicks up). Clean you riding shoes too..

A mate had his bike in a cardboard box and literally had to pull everything out and repack it all. might have just been luck of the draw.

Coming back into oz they didnt even ask to see it, just asked if it was clean. Make sure you declare your bike on the customs form.

Happened to be over there during the wettest week in NZ for 20years. Alot of the riding was still good, the biggest problem was trying to get to places as there was so much rain it washed away and closed the highways. having said that Queenstown is not a shit place to be stuck for 2 weeks...

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 4:07 Quote
Mattyp1212 wrote:
A bike bag with a clean bike and fresh tires will stop customs taking everything out and inspecting everything... I just came back from an NZ trip and customs into NZ literally had a look at tyres first, then quickly half opened the bag to look at the frame and under the sea (where all the dirt flicks up). Clean you riding shoes too..

A mate had his bike in a cardboard box and literally had to pull everything out and repack it all. might have just been luck of the draw.

Coming back into oz they didnt even ask to see it, just asked if it was clean. Make sure you declare your bike on the customs form.

Happened to be over there during the wettest week in NZ for 20years. Alot of the riding was still good, the biggest problem was trying to get to places as there was so much rain it washed away and closed the highways. having said that Queenstown is not a shit place to be stuck for 2 weeks...

Great tips actually. I didn't think about resale which is a good point. I get used to most components being consumable items so getting some cash back later is great.

My OZ customs experience is similar - so long as you are sensible they seem to be far better these days.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
How is Rotorua, Wellington and Nelson in July?

Went to NZ last summer and rode around Christchurch and Queenstown, but missed out visiting breweries in Nelson and Wellington. And Rotorua was waaaay out of the way lol.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
My wife and I are riding in New Zealand in Feb/Mar. I've been reading back through the posts and getting some great info. Thanks everyone who has posted.

So far I'm most interested in Skyline and Rotorua. We come from a pretty standard single track community in the North East US. Lots of climbing roots and rocks. Are these areas primarily downhill? Full face mask and PPE? (armor?)

Thanks again for all of this awesome info in one place.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
There's a good mixture of trails, from single-track through to DH. I would say just ride with whatever makes you feel safe. If you're shuttling you may as well wear protective gear but if you're doing long climbs then I guess all that extra gear will be a burden.. also depends on the particulars of the trails you ride etc. I presume you have travel insurance but rest assured we have excellent (free) medical cover provided in NZ anyway.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
ButtersNZ wrote:
There's a good mixture of trails, from single-track through to DH. I would say just ride with whatever makes you feel safe. If you're shuttling you may as well wear protective gear but if you're doing long climbs then I guess all that extra gear will be a burden.. also depends on the particulars of the trails you ride etc. I presume you have travel insurance but rest assured we have excellent (free) medical cover provided in NZ anyway.

I feel like I'm reading some sarcasm in this post. I'm unfamiliar with this "free" health care that you speak of.

We're super excited about this trip. Thanks for your input.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
jnc007 wrote:
ButtersNZ wrote:

I feel like I'm reading some sarcasm in this post. I'm unfamiliar with this "free" health care that you speak of.

Well, if you break your leg, we'll fix you up for free at the hospital...pretty simple really Razz

Rotovegas has a huge singletrack network that is 100% accessible via pedaling. There is over 100km of trail in the Whakarewarewa forest, and only a small proportion is accessible via the shuttles (you can still ride up the access road if you wanted to ride up 400m or so of elevation in one go). Trails range from easy family trails to double black. There are very little trails with rocks though in 'vegas due to the geology of the area, but plenty of roots.

Currently there is an access issue with the trails that either lead to, or drop out at the Green Lake due to idiots swimming in the sacred lake there. However, there are so many other trails to explore in the Rotorua region (Whakrewarewa Forest (aka Redwoods), at Taupo's Craters of the Moon, and several day trails like Rainbow Mountain). You might want to check out www.riderotorua.com if you haven't already eg: https://www.riderotorua.com/adventure-rides or https://www.riderotorua.com/core-trail-network

Oh, and if you really do need some of that free healthcare...save 0800 942 521 - that's the number for the Rotorua First Response team that roams the forest every day.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
szot123 wrote:
How is Rotorua, Wellington and Nelson in July?

Went to NZ last summer and rode around Christchurch and Queenstown, but missed out visiting breweries in Nelson and Wellington. And Rotorua was waaaay out of the way lol.

Likely wet. If not, just cold. Rotorua holds up really well in the wet, as does Nelson. Not so sure about Wellington.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
jnc007 wrote:
ButtersNZ wrote:

No sarcasm, it's just that most visitors to New Zealand I've spoken to weren't aware of how our healthcare system operates. It's no replacement for travel insurance, but don't feel like you can't take risks and have fun while here.

https://www.acc.co.nz/im-injured/injuries-we-cover/what-we-cover/?smooth-scroll=content-after-navs

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 0:50 Quote
I'm touring around the South Island at the moment and it'd be good to hook up for some riding. My itinery is pretty relaxed but I think I'm likely to be in Alexandra in 3 days or so for a couple of days, then Queenstown for 6-7 days, then Wanaka, again for 6-7 days. Then up to Craigieburn, then back to Nelson/Motueka/Tarkaka, before crossing over to the North Island in 4-5 weeks time.
I'm pretty average by NZ standards, happy to hit most black trails in the UK, but I was in Nelson a couple of weeks ago and to be honest the black runs there had me shitting myself. Eek lol

Anyway, if anyone fancies a ride let me know.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 1:51 Quote
metaam wrote:
I'm touring around the South Island at the moment and it'd be good to hook up for some riding. My itinery is pretty relaxed but I think I'm likely to be in Alexandra in 3 days or so for a couple of days, then Queenstown for 6-7 days, then Wanaka, again for 6-7 days. Then up to Craigieburn, then back to Nelson/Motueka/Tarkaka, before crossing over to the North Island in 4-5 weeks time.
I'm pretty average by NZ standards, happy to hit most black trails in the UK, but I was in Nelson a couple of weeks ago and to be honest the black runs there had me shitting myself. Eek lol

Anyway, if anyone fancies a ride let me know.

I'm glad you say that. When i watch youtube, MTB trails are wide, flowing. In NZ, they are narrow, steep and if you miss the line you either hit a tree or fall off a cliff.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 2:04 Quote
A fair few of the trails I've ridden so far had sections where the consequences could be pretty severe if you got it wrong. It's one of the reasons I'm looking for riding buddies. There's been sections I've walked/slid down that I'd have had a go at if I wasn't on my own.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
metaam wrote:
A fair few of the trails I've ridden so far had sections where the consequences could be pretty severe if you got it wrong. It's one of the reasons I'm looking for riding buddies. There's been sections I've walked/slid down that I'd have had a go at if I wasn't on my own.

Yup i had just gone from 2.4 to 2.8" on my tyre size and now i'm a bit better at it. walking much less lol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005723
Mobile Version of Website