Are YOU willing to pay the price?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are YOU willing to pay the price?
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:26 Quote
im moving this topic from what we want to see in 09' because we did kind of high jack it. so the question is, What did your bike cost and did you think it was fare? what would you like to see things cost?

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:30 Quote
MTBs and parts are extortionately priced. You can get a brand new Honda CR250 for the price of a top of the range sunday or V10.

My guess is that DH bikes sell in such small numbers that they have to charge big to cover costs. Either that or we're just being ripped off.

My bike cost more than my car, and my car's half decent!

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:31 Quote
I'd personaly like to see the prices DROP DROP! to where everyone can afford the best parts. But thats me.

Also i'd like to see the price of FRAMES only to drop. For ppl who only want/need a frame, its cheaper in the end to buy a full bike and try to sell the stuff u don't need. I hate doing that. I already have alot of spare crap laying around.

I've slowed down in the bike/part buying area the past few years. i used to spend upwards of 5000 to 10 000 per year in bikes and or parts, accessories and tools.

i'm down alot from that. way under 5000 a year.

My current rig cost me like maybe 2500 bucks. From a few years ago where it was ( for my DH RIG) 6000. and my ( lets build a bike up cause i am bored ) $4000

"kind of" Rolleyes

I'd say you whipped it into submission and made it totally useless. I think I'll wreck this topic. Pirate

i have an 05 king fisher that i put together using lots of ebay auctions. i bought the frame used and spent months finding deals on the new stuff. in all it was about 1300, i think thats a little much for all the effort i put into making it afordable. i could never afford a pre-assembled bike that i want new. theres just no way

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:33 Quote
raak wrote:
MTBs and parts are extortionately priced. You can get a brand new Honda CR250 for the price of a top of the range sunday or V10.

My guess is that DH bikes sell in such small numbers that they have to charge big to cover costs. Either that or we're just being ripped off.

Zing! You got it in one.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:38 Quote
so how come mtb brakes cost double then mx bakes?

hope 6
codas

bike wheels can cost around 1000 bucks you realy think it resnoble

norco sale there new bike for half then last year or year before and its for the exact same frame. parts are little doffrent tho. like the atomik i think have the same frame as 2006 team, dh frame lol

if they can keep the price high and still sale there stuff they wil keep doing it

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:40 Quote
kingfisher1 wrote:

hope 6
codas

norco sale there new bike for half then last year or year before and its for the exact same frame. parts are little doffrent tho. like the atomik i think have the same frame as 2006 team, dh frame lol

if they can keep the price high and still sale there stuff they wil keep doing it

Bicycle wheels cost just as much to build as motocross wheels if not more. Difference being with Bicycles the weight and strength is more of an issue especially with freeride and downhill.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 13:01 Quote
in the end the bike companies know that there will always be people that will buy the stuff so they can put high prices on parts

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:32 Quote
Wow this is crazy...If you are all crying about this, we should all agree not to buy a bike for 1yr and I'm sure we would see some prices come down.

Did you create this thread just so we could relieve our stress? haha.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:39 Quote
coca wrote:
Wow this is crazy...If you are all crying about this, we should all agree not to buy a bike for 1yr and I'm sure we would see some prices come down.

Did you create this thread just so we could relieve our stress? haha.

By relieving our stress do you mean this is one big circle jerk? If that's what you mean I agree.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:40 Quote
lionel17 wrote:
kingfisher1 wrote:

hope 6
codas

Bicycle wheels cost just as much to build as motocross wheels if not more. Difference being with Bicycles the weight and strength is more of an issue especially with freeride and downhill.
if people started to build moto wheels for a combination of strength and low weight, they would become way more expensive than they are. i mean look at the wheels for sport bikes, they come stock with steel or aluminum wheels but people are starting to make magneisium and carbon fiber wheels that are really expensive.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:40 Quote
bicycling has a lot more of "budget" that needs to be filled... Basically, you take $100000 in develloppement. You devide that amount with categories of money that will be given for different budget. The weight, the strengh, the flexibility, the geo's .... in the mx industry, they are capable of being flexible with those budget since one can compensate, for example, a really powerful motor vs, lightweight parts... But in the cycling industry, every budget are max out! Every part are extremely crucial to remain competitive... The pourcentage of people buying vs the cost in developpement and production is also smaller... Look at Honda is a good example.
Overall, if you look at most companies, most of them don't really make a whole lot of money, they have mid size companies, sometimes just little shops...
I think that the bicycling industry is resonnably priced due to the demand of high technology Vs the amount of consumer.

Eventually, it will all be a monogamy (Whatever it's called) where the one on top will buy everyone else... Look at some leaders out there. Giant, sram .....

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:45 Quote
raak wrote:

that may be true about the mtb and the mx bike. but whats better quality. i bet if you ranked the suspension on the mtb out of 10 and then the mx bike the mtb would be better. just because it has an engine and costs over $3000.00 doesn't mean it has top of the line parts. when i was into dirtbiking a top of the line bike was about $8000.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 14:48 Quote
Its not really changed that much, its spread out in both directions. 10 years ago, could you buy a brand new bike for £40? No! Supermarket specials didn't really exist then. At the other end of the scale its the same, things get more advanced, the price goes up, i remember when the GT LTS1 came out, no-one could afford one round me...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009262
Mobile Version of Website