100mm vs 120mm vs 140mm

Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 15:39 Quote
Well I'm looking to add a XC bike to my quiver and I'm at a point where I really cant decide on any bike whatsoever. I ride pretty aggressively yet am decently smooth so I'm sort of leaning towards the 120mm or 140mm bikes, but I really like the idea of a really lightweight 100mm travel bike if I knew it could take the beating from a primarily FR/DH type rider. Please list any 100mm, 120mm, or 140mm travel bike which is XC oriented. My budget is ~2800 usd$.

So far, I'm comparing the Giant anthem and trance, Specialized epic, camber, and stump jumper, and maybe a Santa Cruz blur xc, nickel, or blur lt. Please discuss everything you know about the bikes you list.

Ideally I'm looking for a 24 to 26 pound bike which pedals efficiently and can handle an aggressive rider. The giant anthem looks pretty good to me, but I'm currently fairly clueless.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 17:06 Quote
Chornbeak wrote:
Well I'm looking to add a XC bike to my quiver and I'm at a point where I really cant decide on any bike whatsoever. I ride pretty aggressively yet am decently smooth so I'm sort of leaning towards the 120mm or 140mm bikes, but I really like the idea of a really lightweight 100mm travel bike if I knew it could take the beating from a primarily FR/DH type rider. Please list any 100mm, 120mm, or 140mm travel bike which is XC oriented. My budget is ~2800 usd$.

So far, I'm comparing the Giant anthem and trance, Specialized epic, camber, and stump jumper, and maybe a Santa Cruz blur xc, nickel, or blur lt. Please discuss everything you know about the bikes you list.

Ideally I'm looking for a 24 to 26 pound bike which pedals efficiently and can handle an aggressive rider. The giant anthem looks pretty good to me, but I'm currently fairly clueless.

A buddy rides with me on this http://2010.devinci.com/bikes/browse#3_5_38 It's an extremely solid bike. We do quite technical trails in Durham forrest in Ontario and it eats everything. I have a Titus X custom build approximately 24lbs but it cost me more than $2800US. Look for a used Devinci Moonracer SL3 or higher (SLXX).

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 17:15 Quote
I'm looking for 100mm of travel or more. Those do look like solid bikes though! Thanks for the input

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 18:16 Quote
I used to ride a specialized fsr s-works. I just bought a giant anthem and I love it. Its about 26 pounds, it has great componentry(Shimano xt) especially compared to the specialized equivalents. i was looking at getting a trance because of the extra travel but i found that the anthem was all that I needed. the suspension works great and climbs real well and it tracks so well on the descents as well. I haven't had a chance to do a real hard downhill with it yet, but so far its the best bike i've ever ridden. It also looks way cool.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 19:52 Quote
thanks for the input man! It seems that everybody that owns an anthem loves it, so I'm sort of biased towards getting one, but I want to expand my options a bit. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 23, 2010 at 11:01 Quote
XC bikes in the 25lb range are not going to take as much of "a beating" as a 30lb Trail bike, especially if you are limited by budget (so you can't have the lightest parts). A Trance X (or similar Trail bike) might be closer to 28-30lbs than an Anthem X, but would have a bit higher abuse limit, plus the geometry is a bit less twitchy.

You might also check out the Banshee Spitfire, since it's been described as "the XC/Trail bike for DH riders"...

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 5:57 Quote
Bought a SC Blur LT2, every bit as good as other 5" travel bikes. I have it lightened up to 27lbs, so I can compete with it. I am planning on building 2 sets of wheels for it one for Agressive/mud the other much lighter for competition or XC.
Find the bike that fits and reacts the way you expect it too.

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 11:10 Quote
I'd go for a Yeti 575 (146mm travel) or ASR-5 (127mm travel) or ASR (98mm travel).
The ASR-5 is probably the best choice for you as it is supposed to be able to climb like an xc bike but decend like longer travel AM bikes and can deffinately take an aggresive riding style. Its the perfect all rounder really but it does come at a price. You can buy it complete or as a frame and there are aluminium and carbon options. Hope this helpsSmile Salute

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 16:20 Quote
I have a specialized epic comp and it is a great bike.

I haven't riden a anthem or any of the others but I really doubt you would be hard to find a problem with the epic, I ride quite hard and it has taken anything I can throw at it.

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 2:04 Quote
having looked at something similar, i've struggled to find any 140mm bike thats under 26 lbs that isnt carbon and $$$
if you cant get the weight you're after, i'd go for a thru bolt 120mm fork and stay away from overly steep head angles - 69 deg max.

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 5:10 Quote
Are you considering hardtails?

26lb stock but this one is heavier. It takes brutal beatings.

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 5:21 Quote
Titus had some demo bikes at super low prices. They had the El Guapo 140+mm travel with a really nice build for $2800USD. Keep your eyes peeled at http://titusti.com/osc/index.php

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 6:24 Quote
If you go for specialized, take the stumpy. I ride an epic and a nomad. The epic is strong and light but it is somehow tricky to handle while going down at speed, to make the epic stable you'll have to keep on pedaling, no matter how fast its going.
Though I havent ridden the stumpy yet, it seems to be more to the likes of downhillers.

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 at 2:15 Quote
Look into building a hardtail. You could have a lightweight efficient steel hardtail with 140mm+ of travel. I have a ragley blue pig, and I love it. My bike weighs about 32# but it definitely itsn't a $2,800 build.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013658
Mobile Version of Website