Basic maitenance

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Basic maitenance
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 at 0:00 Quote
Hey all,

Going to be purchasing my first real bike, I was riding a decent hardtail before, but never did any upkeep on it. So what are the things i need to check, I;ve been reading alot about fork oil and lowers and such, as well as spoke tension. Anything important to know about upkeep on nice forks or rear suspension?

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 at 5:32 Quote
Well if you are going to have Fox Forks on it then this will be handy.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/Dust_Wiper_Seal_Quick_Clean.htm

You don't need to worry about fork oil until when you are doing the above link and you see your foam rings are a "dirt" colour.

Spoke tension is important but difficult to begin with, I would recommend practicing on an old bike (loosen a few spokes) and work on truing, in the mean time if you wheels need truing take them to a pro. Good built wheels shouldn't need truing unless you smack the spokes on something.

Also hubs are pretty easy to look after, anything with bearings really should be every-now and then taken apart and cleaned/greased or possibly replaced.

Just try to keep everything clean, soap and water, but be careful to keep it away from bearings (headset, bottom bracket, hubs, jockey wheels)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.037389
Mobile Version of Website