Rocks shox boxxer wc not getting full travel

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rocks shox boxxer wc not getting full travel
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 at 12:59 Quote
so i am fairly new to tripple crown forks and not confident deassembling them when i dont know fully what the problem is and what im doing. No matter what i do i cant get the last 3 inches or so out of my fork. I have tried compressing them with no air pressure, still didnt get full travel and i have set the bottom out to as soft as it goes. Any ideas appreciated. thanks

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
Drop the forks out of the crowns first - this is pretty simple even if you're new to them, just loosen the crown pinch bolts and pull downwards on the fork and it should slide out.

Now you can move each leg individually and see exactly which side the problem is in.

Without seeing the fork it's impossible to tell your problem, but from what you've described I'd guess there is too much oil in the forks. This could be in either leg or both.

It's pretty simple to fix this, boxxers come apart fairly easily, and you dont even need to fully disassemble them.

Begin by undoing the bolts on the bottom of the fork legs, but leave them about three turns from being fully removed. Keeping the fork upsidedown, give them a firm tap with a plastic mallet - you should feel the damping and spring rods disengage from where they sit in the lowers. Remove both bolts fully.

Carefully turn the forks the correct way up again, making sure you have a container under each leg - the oil should drain out, although you'll probably need to give the legs a bit of a pump to get it out.

There should be 15ml of oil in each leg. If theres more, measure out 15ml and use a small funnel or a syringe to pour it back into the legs via the holes in the bottom. You might need to pull the legs a few inches out to do this. Then carefully push the stanchions back into the lowers (with the fork still upside down). Refit the bolts nad youre done.

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 at 13:29 Quote
thanks a lot mate (not gee-milner) really appreciated

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 at 13:39 Quote
No problem, had the same problem with mine. There's instructions on the rockshox site with pictures for taking them apart. It's pretty obvious how it all fits together anyway. I wrote that with the 32mm ones in mind, but 2010/11 ones strip down pretty much the same as far as i'm aware.

On the other hand, they could actually be f*cked...

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 11:16 Quote
Did an oil change today and replaced the seals, unfortunatly theyre still not getting full travel Frown any more ideas?

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
you could pop them into a shop and they will probably be able to tell you exactly what the problem is if they know anything about bikes Smile hope this helps Smile

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 13:43 Quote
Hi mate!

It sounds like a problem called hydrolock where I'm told an internal seal lets oil leak through to the bottom of the fork leg so the oil won't let the forks fully compress and use it's full travel. I maybe wrong chris has I'm not 100% up on the workings of the internals mate so don't take my word for it, it's best just to send them to tf tuned and pay for a service. KERCHING!!!!!
There has been so many problems with the new boxxer forks though it's laughable!

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 13:58 Quote
i have had this problem with my manitou axels. i got rid of them, but i have heard the problem was fixable in the end Smile its worth a shot Smile

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 15:01 Quote
im not tooooo bothered about the money its the amount of time they take to service them.

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
huddersfieldfreerider wrote:
im not tooooo bothered about the money its the amount of time they take to service them.

don't send them off, we need to film the first segment for the movie

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 15:24 Quote
Just get shut and buy some 40s pal! Best of forks!!!

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 15:50 Quote
right well ill have a look at the inners and if there is an obvious fixable problem ill sort it but if not ill have to send them off i guess. In the meantime ill buy some 40s...Book

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010466
Mobile Version of Website