Chavs :@

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 13:51 Quote
just read that yanks interpetation of a chav, i LOLed at his lack of knowledge about the situation...

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 14:19 Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBelz8BgX0&feature=related

there used to be one called buzzcocks... he was actually really funny did it for some media project at uni he was so funny talked about stealing police helicopters and staring out dinner lady's at the local school... been taken off youtube now

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 14:42 Quote
Jullage wrote:

there used to be one called buzzcocks... he was actually really funny did it for some media project at uni he was so funny talked about stealing police helicopters and staring out dinner lady's at the local school... been taken off youtube now

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 14:44 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
just read that yanks interpetation of a chav, i LOLed at his lack of knowledge about the situation...

If your talking about my perception, the perception of an educator that has taught in schools primarily composed of people like that, you are operating on the assumption that I'm an idiot and have no eyes to see with. I know exactly what I am talking about... a classicist society that values elitism above humanism.

A lot of you are making assumptions about my experiences you should not.

Nuff said.

FL
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 14:54 Quote
jon-15 wrote:
im not familiar with the term "chav". Can someone explain?

the actual difineition of a chav is "council-housed and voilent" but the term is used more loosely.

British 'chavs' can be indentified by several things:

1) the dress code: A tracksuit and white trainers, badly gelled hair and a cheap chain.

2) the voice "oi jez blud innit mush don't make me shank you up bruv"

3) the constantly used plastic lighter they found on the floor.

4) The shit bike. £80 argos special.

5) the un-educatedness (often unable to read or write...)

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
Ayenn wrote:
uttanutta12 wrote:

If your talking about my perception, the perception of an educator that has taught in schools primarily composed of people like that, you are operating on the assumption that I'm an idiot and have no eyes to see with. I know exactly what I am talking about... a classicist society that values elitism above humanism.

Nuff said.
have you ever actually met one?
edit: BTW I'm not a yank, both my parents are from England, I just live here Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
Ayenn wrote:
Poverty is far more than that, guy. No country in the world has figured out how to help the impoverished. If it were as simple as you obviously believe it is it wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Yeah, they might be poor, I am too I live in a council house too, but I don't go round in groups mugging people and stealing their property, beating up people for no reason, that's our problem with them, they're scum, I got jumped by 3 chavs once they mugged my £200 phone and £300 bike off me Evil

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 8:34 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Ayenn wrote:
uttanutta12 wrote:

Nuff said.
edit: BTW I'm not a yank, both my parents are from England, I just live here Smile

wasn't talking about you nobble, just this ayenn guy...

like i said, doesn't really know the full situation...

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 9:33 Quote
there's a fine line between hating actual "thugs" versus hating everyone who looks "thuggish."

another Chav thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=14923.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 10:25 Quote
This is from the old thread...

draco wrote:
yep, alright.

well, just so everyone is clear-

no more discussions involving specific slang terms for types of people ok?

I did spend time in england, but it doesnt matter- anywhere in the world, you will find people who have ulterior motives-

--and they are not all the same. classifying people based on looks is segregation and is not going to fly on pinkbike.

from here on out, any "Chav" or related posts will get the ax.

Sorry kids! prolonging stereotypes only prolongs the problems.

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 10:41 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Ayenn wrote:

Nuff said.

wasn't talking about you nobble, just this ayenn guy...

like i said, doesn't really know the full situation...
i was refering to him too Smile

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:19 Quote
ahh good good Smile

i did wonder how you got all the english humour/slang etc. lol and having 2 english parents is a good explanation Razz

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 14:55 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
ahh good good Smile

i did wonder how you got all the english humour/slang etc. lol and having 2 english parents is a good explanation Razz

most bigger american cities have a local television station that is a PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) affiliate station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBS, meaning it's partly public-funded like BBC. . . and they do show a lot of british tv and movies--although it can be pretty random. anything from Are You Being Served and Monty Python to East Enders, Absolutely Fabulous, or The Young Ones. then there's BBC America on cable, or instant-TV on netflix. a lot of my friends (at least in college) watched things like Da Ali G show, The Office, The IT Crowd, the UK Big Brother on DVD or internet download.

as far as films, although there are obviously loads of british actors and british films--everything from Bridget Jones and James Bond to Harry Potter and Jane Austen period flicks, not too many show 'real' working class characters. maybe the Guy Ritchie films would be the best example that ran in mainstream cinemas here. but if you're at all into independent/arthouse/film scene, british films are big. growing up, in high school, college, and after, we watched everything grom the 70's michael caine stuff like Get Carter to 80s/90s punk/mod/hooligan/drug movies Quadrophenia, Rude Boy, Sid & Nancy, The Firm, Trainspotting, etc. and then recent stuff like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz which were very popular here in austin. i want to see Cemetry Junction.

so yeah, sure a lot of americans have little or no exposure to british culture. but there's plenty who do as well. in ways you probably dont even think about.

FL
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 15:16 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
uttanutta12 wrote:
ahh good good Smile

most bigger american cities have a local television station that is a PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) affiliate station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBS, meaning it's partly public-funded like BBC. . . and they do show a lot of british tv and movies--although it can be pretty random. anything from Are You Being Served and Monty Python to East Enders, Absolutely Fabulous, or The Young Ones. then there's BBC America on cable, or instant-TV on netflix. a lot of my friends (at least in college) watched things like Da Ali G show, The Office, The IT Crowd, the UK Big Brother on DVD or internet download.

as far as films, although there are obviously loads of british actors and british films--everything from Bridget Jones and James Bond to Harry Potter and Jane Austen period flicks, not too many show 'real' working class characters. maybe the Guy Ritchie films would be the best example that ran in mainstream cinemas here. but if you're at all into independent/arthouse/film scene, british films are big. growing up, in high school, college, and after, we watched everything grom the 70's michael caine stuff like Get Carter to 80s/90s punk/mod/hooligan/drug movies Quadrophenia, Rude Boy, Sid & Nancy, The Firm, Trainspotting, etc. and then recent stuff like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz which were very popular here in austin. i want to see Cemetry Junction.

so yeah, sure a lot of americans have little or no exposure to british culture. but there's plenty who do as well. in ways you probably dont even think about.

My dad has a freind who moved to Canada and he says the thing he misses most from the UK is the TV. American and Canadian TV (both are on tv in canada) is generaly terrible. Although lots of American films are pretty good. Big Grin

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 17:13 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:

then there's BBC America on cable, or instant-TV on netflix. a lot of my friends (at least in college) watched things like Da Ali G show, The Office, The IT Crowd, the UK Big Brother on DVD or internet download.

I friggin' love The IT Crowd. Was just watching a few episodes. Moss (Richard Ayoade) is hilarious.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019476
Mobile Version of Website